So, after setting up Google voice, installing GVDialer and setting my Google Voice number as a MyFav under T-Mo, I can now make unlimited nationwide calls to whoever I want, no matter what network they are on, and no matter if the number is a home, business or mobile phone.

Used in conjuction with YouMail for voicemail needs, I now believe this is one of the most powerful moves in mobile communication with respect to cutting costs and getting full blown features.

Since Google voice supports text messaging as well, this is one incredible feature set. Google also logs all text messages sent and received so now SMS text archiving is possible without using such services as Dexrex, and integration with GMail is yet another plus.
    06-30-09 09:11 PM
    Haha, that's awesome. Was wondering if that would be possible. Can't wait to get access to google voice myself. Makes you wonder though if TMo is going to keep allowing the use of that number in myfaves.

and just in case they read this: Of course they will because they are the most awesome of awesome and they would NEVER do that to us. I love you Tmo..I really do..don't mess with my heart.
    06-30-09 09:44 PM
    Well, seeing as you pick your own number, T-Mo won't know your Google Voice number from any other.
    06-30-09 09:47 PM
    Is this why google is unavailable??? Did you download all software from google ???
    06-30-09 10:17 PM
    Is this why google is unavailable??? Did you download all software from google ???
    Google Voice is by invite only right now. I have been beta testing GVoice for about 2 months so far. I downloaded GVDialer here. YouMail is available free in the App Store.

Another fantastic feature is since I have a Google Checkout account, if I make an international call, I can pay directly and the Google international call rates are out of this world.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 06-30-09 at 10:35 PM.
    06-30-09 10:29 PM
    How do you use GVdialer?
    06-30-09 10:47 PM
    How do you use GVdialer?
    Well, first you have to have a Google Voice account. Currently this is by invitation only through Google. Once you set up your account, you'll pick a phone number. Once that is done, you can then set any number of options on how to use it. I installed GVDialer on my 8900, then set my Google number as a Myfav and now I can call anyone, anywhere in the US on any network and it doesn't cost me a penny.

I'm in the process of setting up my two other Google Voice numbers (I have a total of 3). If you wanna learn more about Google Voice, check this out.

GVDialer uses your Google account info to make the calls through your Google number by dialing your G Number, then going through the auto prompts and inputting the number you wanted to call. Example:

Say you wanna call the wife. You start to dial her as usual either by speed dial or phone book or by actually dialing the numbers, then when you press the call button (depending on how you have GVDialer setup), a prompt will ask you whether you want to call direct (existing mobile number through your cell carrier), or through GVDialer. If you choose GVDialer, it will automatically dial your G number and input your wife's number and call her through your G number. Her caller ID will show your G number, and she can even text message your G number.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 06-30-09 at 10:59 PM.
    06-30-09 10:53 PM
    Thanks for the primer.

I am one of those that was fortunate enough to have a Grandcentral number, and now I use Google Voice, but this is phenomenal.

Now, I am sure you can use it without GVDialer, but I think I might spring for it for the added functionality. Now, I generally dial out with GV, but I like the one-button option that GVDialer provides. Great stuff.

Thanks!
    06-30-09 11:13 PM
    Thanks for the primer.

I am one of those that was fortunate enough to have a Grandcentral number, and now I use Google Voice, but this is phenomenal.

Now, I am sure you can use it without GVDialer, but I think I might spring for it for the added functionality. Now, I generally dial out with GV, but I like the one-button option that GVDialer provides. Great stuff.

Thanks!
    You're welcome. Anytime. Hope you enjoy. GV is awesome!!
    07-01-09 12:06 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't dialing through GVdialer still use your minutes? Or does it act as a data connection instead of a voice network connection?

EDIT: Ok, I just read that GVdialer does not use a data connection. It dials your google number...meaning that if you talk to your google number (which is in turn connected to the end person) for 30 minutes...you still just lost 30 minutes of your bucket mi......OOOHHH that's why you set it up as a myFaves. Hahaha...I didn't read that part up top.

EDIT 2: One more question, how would this work on incoming calls? Can you make your google number ring on your blackberry? If so, this would save me like 2,500 minutes every month in talk time. That would be fantastic.
    Last edited by howejustin; 07-01-09 at 12:58 AM.
    07-01-09 12:47 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't dialing through GVdialer still use your minutes? Or does it act as a data connection instead of a voice network connection?
    Yes it would count against your minutes; unless you do what I did and add your GV number
    As a MyFav.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 12:54 AM
    Yes it would count against your minutes; unless you do what I did and add your GV number
    As a MyFav.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    As I mentioned in my "EDIT" comment...hah.
    07-01-09 01:09 AM

EDIT: Ok, I just read that GVdialer does not use a data connection. It dials your google number...meaning that if you talk to your google number (which is in turn connected to the end person) for 30 minutes...you still just lost 30 minutes of your bucket mi......OOOHHH that's why you set it up as a myFaves. Hahaha...I didn't read that part up top.

EDIT 2: One more question, how would this work on incoming calls? Can you make your google number ring on your blackberry? If so, this would save me like 2,500 minutes every month in talk time. That would be fantastic.
    Of course GV can ring your cell. That's one of the huge advantages. When you log into your Google Voice account (on your computer), go to settings, then go to the 'Phones' tab. There you can add any numbers you want to ring.
    07-01-09 01:10 AM
    This is awesome. Thank-you. I got my invite yesterday and set it up. I had an issue with tmo trying to get the unlimited plan and it was just a big issue so I kept my current plan.I think I am going to add the myaves and take advantage of this. Many thanks!
    07-01-09 02:55 AM
    If someone texts your google # does the text come on your blackberry?
    07-01-09 02:57 AM
    If someone texts your google # does the text come on your blackberry?
    Yes.

I can text out and receive Google Voice text from my BB.

Is Google Voice now accepting more requests for numbers?
    07-01-09 06:47 AM
    Google will accept your request but they are very slow right now in issuing the invites.
    07-01-09 09:11 AM
    Well, seeing as you pick your own number, T-Mo won't know your Google Voice number from any other.
    3C, what do you use as your YouMail number (to register)? Your real number or GV number?
    07-01-09 02:23 PM
    3C, what do you use as your YouMail number (to register)? Your real number or GV number?
    I used my cell number for YouMail.
    07-01-09 02:24 PM
    I used my cell number for YouMail.
    Thanks 3C... I appreciate it.

Since using YouMail, you haven't found any related forwarding charges with Tmo?
    07-01-09 02:59 PM
    I jumped on this invite for a number over a year ago and now I 'm getting use of my number since I switched from ATT to TMO. I set this up as a fav 5 and it has been great. I use this number more than my real number. Perfect if you have people looking at your bill trying to figure out who you are calling!!!! One feature I do like is if you get a voicemail you can have it sent to you as a sms which saves me time from checking my voicemail.
    07-01-09 04:16 PM
    I haven't made any dedicated moves yet because I am really curious as to if Google Voice is going to stay free. Any info there? Also I tried the GVDialer app several times on my 8900 and it resulted in several OS reinstalls. Have they released any updates or addressed that issue? Either case, this could get interesting. I have TMO's Unlimited Loyalty plan, but theres plenty of occassions when I don't want someone to have my cel phone number...The possibilities seem endless with this stealthy little combo..haha
    07-01-09 04:23 PM
    I set mine up - now I have to call TMO about my faves to add it. I like it because I can give out my gv number and keep my cell # private. I'm still a little confused (dense) tho about 2 things:

How do I text from my BB so that the text shows my gv # and

I use email with my bb line - how do I use it for everything? (when it rings through to my bb, does it just go through to my youmail?) or do I have to change a setting.

Thanks
    07-01-09 11:49 PM
    Being the cheapskate that I am, I didnt want to pay for GVDialer. So for numbers I dial using my google voice account I just add it to my phone using the following layout:
    Code:
    [Your GV#][Pause][Your GV Pin][Pause][2][Pause][Number to dial][#]
    To get the pause hit the menu button and click "Add Pause". The last pause is optional. I've never installed GVDialer, but I assume this is pretty much the way it works.
    07-02-09 05:25 AM
    I set mine up - now I have to call TMO about my faves to add it. I like it because I can give out my gv number and keep my cell # private. I'm still a little confused (dense) tho about 2 things:

How do I text from my BB so that the text shows my gv # and

I use email with my bb line - how do I use it for everything? (when it rings through to my bb, does it just go through to my youmail?) or do I have to change a setting.

Thanks
    Not sure what you're asking. You went from email to voicemail in your last sentence. Please clarify.
    07-02-09 07:47 AM
455 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD