I just got a brand new blackberry curve 8900, it's going to be my very FIRST blackberry... i mean EVER.

I had an incredibly hard time choosing between the curve and the bold. The Bold is just oh so beautiful and the keyboard looks perfect, BUT i ended up with the curve because of the uma calling and the camera. I just gotta know cos it's killing me inside... did i make the right choice?

And what can i expect from the wonderful world of RIM devices?!!
    06-30-09 12:22 AM
    Can you tell me a bit more about what uma is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 12:31 AM
    Congrats on your first berry! Ill be right there with you once verizon releases the tour in a few weeks. im definitely somewhat new to the world of blackberries but the messaging on these phones is great. especially emailing.
    06-30-09 12:33 AM
    you definitely made the right decision. The Bold is a great phone but is quickly becoming outdated. You will love your 8900!!!!
    06-30-09 01:16 AM
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I hope so too CJ!!!

lillightning: uma is pretty much having the ability to make calls via wifi... in a nutshell.. search the forum you'll get more info on what it is
    06-30-09 02:13 AM
    Uma is a horse in Japanese

06-30-09 02:25 AM
    Congrats On Ur First Berry!!

The 8900 Is Definitely The Best Berry On The Market..u Wont Be Disappointed
    06-30-09 02:43 AM
    UMA = Unlimited Mobile Access

My 2 cents

BTW you will love this device
    06-30-09 07:05 AM
    welcome to the 8900 family! enjoy it.
    06-30-09 07:21 AM
    congrats!! its the best phone ever
    06-30-09 07:27 AM
    You will love the 8900

06-30-09 08:01 AM
    You�ll love it as i love mine!! My first post from Argentina!
    06-30-09 08:13 AM
    I use to own a bold, but its big and uncorfortable size and the crappy camera made me switch to the curve and I'm no way dissapoined of my desition. The 8900 is a suberb little bb.

06-30-09 08:29 AM
    just an update on my curve... i'm loving it! ... the keys are a tad too small for my man sized finger tips but other than that it's without question the best phone i've ever used
    07-04-09 11:59 AM
    Got mine coming on Tuesday, first BB for me too. Nearly got the Bold but don't think i'll miss 3G that much tbh, plus orange wanted an extra �100 for it
    07-04-09 12:54 PM
    1st full day with the 8900, gettin used to from after having the bold. gonna take some time but it is a very nice device
    07-04-09 01:02 PM
    UMA is amazing... Right now im not at home, and way up in north eastern Quebec. The reception here is non existent. People here don't own cell phones because they don't work. However, they do have internet, and were i am has wifi... Because of uma, i am still able to talk and text to friends back home its awesome!! thought i would be without my phone for a week..
    07-04-09 02:39 PM
    UMA is amazing... Right now im not at home, and way up in north eastern Quebec. The reception here is non existent. People here don't own cell phones because they don't work. However, they do have internet, and were i am has wifi... Because of uma, i am still able to talk and text to friends back home its awesome!! thought i would be without my phone for a week..
    WiFi is the primary reason I got the BB 8900 -- I had it on my old Nokia 6085, and I was able to receive or place calls from nearly everywhere I went, even remote campgrounds that have free WiFi. So, WiFi was an essential item when I was considering a replacement phone. We stayed in one remote campground near Kitchner, Ontario, and the only Internet service was in the laundry room of the main building, but I could go there to check both e-mail and voice messages and return the necessary ones before going back to the RV. There was no cell service anywhere in the campground, but when I was near the WiFi, I was back on-line. During our travels around the area, we also found several Cyber Cafes that provided WiFi hotspots -- as soon as the BB connected, the email and voicemail notices would go off.
    07-04-09 03:01 PM
    congrats on getting a great BB!
    Welcome to the CB fam !
    07-04-09 04:34 PM
    WiFi is the primary reason I got the BB 8900 -- I had it on my old Nokia 6085, and I was able to receive or place calls from nearly everywhere I went, even remote campgrounds that have free WiFi. So, WiFi was an essential item when I was considering a replacement phone. We stayed in one remote campground near Kitchner, Ontario, and the only Internet service was in the laundry room of the main building, but I could go there to check both e-mail and voice messages and return the necessary ones before going back to the RV. There was no cell service anywhere in the campground, but when I was near the WiFi, I was back on-line. During our travels around the area, we also found several Cyber Cafes that provided WiFi hotspots -- as soon as the BB connected, the email and voicemail notices would go off.
    Is this process automatic or do you have to activate it somehow?

Is access to the wifi hotspots included as part of the package or were they free hotspots?
    07-04-09 05:09 PM
    I have updated my phone from my bLackberry boLd two days ago.
    Now I'm rockin' with the 8900.
    I'm still trying to get used to the smaller keyboard,
    but all in all, I have no regrets making the upgrade.
    Its portable, better camera, and like most people here
    said, has UMA.

07-04-09 05:30 PM
    Is this process automatic or do you have to activate it somehow?

Is access to the wifi hotspots included as part of the package or were they free hotspots?
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. I think I answered those questions in order.

Yes, the process of connecting to the hotspot is automatic. But, I normally have to scan for them the first time, and add them to saved profiles if they will be used again.

Most campgrounds now offer free WiFi hotspots as part of the regular camping fee.

Ironically, I recently attended a convention at a Hyatt Regency Hotel and they charged $10/day for WiFi access on top of the $200/night room rate. Compared to staying at a campground for $20/night and having free WiFi...
    07-04-09 07:45 PM
    i hate mine. its too small therefor im getting a bold.
    07-04-09 11:54 PM
    Own both, 8900 is a good BB, but Bold is better.
    07-05-09 12:14 AM
    You're gonna lurve your Curve. Think you made the right decision. Gotta stay current on these things. Bold is def less current. WiFi on the Javelin is so cool and convenient. Welcome to CB, too!

07-05-09 12:27 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD