My storm was running slow and low on battery, so I left it charging. When I unplugged it, it had the black screen all night. I did several battery pulls. Left the battery out overnight. It did work fine for about a half hour this morning but now it's black again. I can hear it ring and my alert chimes but I can't see anything. I bought it off ebay about 4 months ago and it's been perfect. I wonder if Verizon will replace it??? I honestly don't know how to fix it myself.
    06-28-09 07:26 PM
    back it up, then wipe it, reinstall latest OS, and if that doesn't work then listen to the next person.
    06-28-09 07:28 PM
    this happened to a storm on my account (not my line, but my friends line on my family plan)

he just took it in and they gave him a brand new one in the store.

i'm not sure how you would go about replacement. Maybe from RIM under the mgr warranty ?
    06-28-09 07:33 PM
    Thanks! I did do a back up. But I honestly don't know how to wipe it because I can't see anything on it. Well, I stopped by BJ's because they have a verizon stand there, the guy said that I should bring it to the Verizon store at the mall and they would either fix it or replace it. I told him where I bought it and he said it's ok, there is a 1 year warranty on them?? I would much rather fix it myself but, well, I'm not an expert. But thank you for answering me
    06-28-09 07:36 PM
    Thanks Justin, did he buy it at verizon or was it a used phone?
    06-28-09 07:37 PM
    Agree with Torque. Also, if you bought it from eBay, why would you think Verizon might replace it? Just curious.
    Manufactures warranty. Since the phone hasn't been out a year there is no question that it is less than a year old.
    06-28-09 07:39 PM
    Now I'm afraid to go there....will they be asking me for paperwork?? Should I tell them up front that I bought it off ebay? I'm so lost without my phone
    06-28-09 07:41 PM
    Now I'm afraid to go there....will they be asking me for paperwork?? Should I tell them up front that I bought it off ebay? I'm so lost without my phone
    The phone is active on your account, walk in there tell them that the phone is turning on you can get your alerts but the screen is not lighting up and that the problems started after you did the update to .148. And make sure that you do a backup before going into the store.

The best thing to do in regards to a backup is to start the device switch wizard and go to the point of plugging in the new device. Leave that open and go to the verizon store. When you get home finish the switch wizard with your new phone. That will transfer all of your 3rd party apps as well.
    06-28-09 07:58 PM
    Thanks, I wish I was as brave as you! Do you mean they will give me a phone right then and there? I thought I read somewhere they have to send them out to you. I'll definately do that wizard thingie. I have it charging right now, and it has a solid green light. I think I'll stop playing with it for awhile and let them handle it. LOL. I might screw it up even more.
    06-28-09 08:03 PM
    Thanks, I wish I was as brave as you! Do you mean they will give me a phone right then and there? I thought I read somewhere they have to send them out to you. I'll definately do that wizard thingie. I have it charging right now, and it has a solid green light. I think I'll stop playing with it for awhile and let them handle it. LOL. I might screw it up even more.
    If they have a refurb in the store they usually do the exchange there. If not they will have one overnighted to you.
    06-28-09 08:07 PM
    Well, thanks again for being so helpful. I feel alot more confident now. What's the worse that can happen anyway.
    06-28-09 08:15 PM
    Well, thanks again for being so helpful. I feel alot more confident now. What's the worse that can happen anyway.
    The worst that can happen is they will tell you no. But I doubt that is going to happen.
    06-28-09 08:32 PM
    Hello.. I have the same problem.. but i use tthe Storm with ATT what are my hopes..???
    06-29-09 11:49 AM
    Hi guys
    I had the same problem and fixed it using the credit card hack, I was running out of battery when this happened, dont know if there is any connection with it, anyway I just used two guitar picks placed them at the back of my battery and fixed.
    09-15-10 06:35 PM
    No dead battery here just screen froze and then fade to black with no recovery... no hack or OS reload has been of any benefit... this one is a full on hardware... FAIL.
    09-19-10 02:15 PM
    back it up and restore it
    09-21-10 08:36 PM
    Backed up - new phone delivered yesterday - restored - sent corpse back to Verizon for reincarnation...
    09-22-10 07:48 PM
    i am having the same issues black screen and reciving all calls and text but cant see.
    I hear its the new 5.0 os so i reverted back to 4.71 and nothing any help would be great also this is happening alot so is rim going to do a patch to the software to fix this. My phone is out of warranty due to buy one get one and had used the other one for over a year till lost
    09-30-10 04:33 AM
    i am having the same issues black screen and reciving all calls and text but cant see.
    I hear its the new 5.0 os so i reverted back to 4.71 and nothing any help would be great also this is happening alot so is rim going to do a patch to the software to fix this. My phone is out of warranty due to buy one get one and had used the other one for over a year till lost
    No matter what I tried to get the screen/video to recover were pointless. This was a hardware issue for me and a new phone (refurb), was the only way that I could get back to business. I had purchased an extended insurance plan so I had to pay a deductable but got a working phone out of the deal.

I would be very supprised if this is OS related. I have run every OS under the sun - even after the failure rolled it back to several different versions and still no luck.

Sorry - it is my impression that this is a serious hardware issue that appears to rear its head after about 16 months of use.
    09-30-10 11:50 AM
    Here is the temporary fix until verizon gets the bugs out of new software. Just downgrade to older software version until a better one is available. although this is not the ideal solution it works!
    04-18-14 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD