Will the Onyx be able to work on the new Telus HSPA network? Because I am trying to decide whether to buy the Tour or wait for the Onyx. Anyone have any suggestions. Right now I am on the Curve 8330. And does anyone know any approximate release dates for the Onyx?
    06-28-09 06:02 PM
    Yes the Onyx will work on Telus's HSPA network. Release is this fall. I would wait for Onyx if I were you but the Tour is a good phone.
    06-28-09 06:32 PM
    Mike, one thing to keep in mind. While its pretty well guaranteed that Rogers will get the Onyx, its only speculation that telus might, so, you might have to pay full retail to Rogers, then unlock and buy a Telus sim card.
    I hear you though. I've been all over the Tour for weeks, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the Onyx.Smaller screen but faster,more powerful device. Also, evdo rev. A data speeds for the Tour (3.6kbs)vs. hsdpa (7.2kbs) for the Onyx. I've been thinking about this all weekend.

As for release date, common speculation is Nov.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 08:50 PM
    Mike, one thing to keep in mind. While its pretty well guaranteed that Rogers will get the Onyx, its only speculation that telus might, so, you might have to pay full retail to Rogers, then unlock and buy a Telus sim card.
    I hear you though. I've been all over the Tour for weeks, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the Onyx.Smaller screen but faster,more powerful device. Also, evdo rev. A data speeds for the Tour (3.6kbs)vs. hsdpa (7.2kbs) for the Onyx. I've been thinking about this all weekend.

You can't buy a telus SIM card. Telus is a CDMA carrier, they only SIM cards Telus gives out are for their world phones to have international capabilities at massively inflated roaming rates. If you want a Telus phone, then get a Telus phone. If you want a Rogers phone, then get a Rogers phone. It is unlikely that both of these carriers will get the same phone. Telus will not carry a phone with wifi, and all of the new GSM blackberries coming out have wifi I believe.
    06-28-09 08:56 PM
    This is wrong. They are speaking of the Onyx and speaking about september. In sept Telus will launch its HSPA network and they will have sim cards. Next, the new storm has wifi, and telus will carry it and telus will carry future blackberry model of which has wifi capabilities.
    06-28-09 09:05 PM
    Well also remember the Tour does not have WiFi...
    06-28-09 11:45 PM

God damnit.. This is gonna kill me. The Onyx clearly seems like the better phone, but I just don't know. I have a feeling Telus is going to find a way to screw it all up. They've been doing it well for the past however many years..
    06-29-09 12:20 AM
    You can't buy a telus SIM card. Telus is a CDMA carrier, they only SIM cards Telus gives out are for their world phones to have international capabilities at massively inflated roaming rates. If you want a Telus phone, then get a Telus phone. If you want a Rogers phone, then get a Rogers phone. It is unlikely that both of these carriers will get the same phone. Telus will not carry a phone with wifi, and all of the new GSM blackberries coming out have wifi I believe.
    Actually Telus was carrying the HTC P4000, which had wifi on it in 2007. I had that phone and used that feature regularly so you are misinforming people. Check your facts please.
    09-23-09 02:37 PM
    God damnit.. This is gonna kill me. The Onyx clearly seems like the better phone, but I just don't know. I have a feeling Telus is going to find a way to screw it all up. They've been doing it well for the past however many years..
    Another question to think about; is the HSPA network going online on schedule? What phones will come to Telus and Bell when it does?

I'm none too impressed with Bell or Telus (I'm on Bell, my wife on Telus). Nobody seems to know anything with any degree of certainty regardless of which level of the food chain I can speak to.
    09-23-09 07:43 PM
    Another question to think about; is the HSPA network going online on schedule? What phones will come to Telus and Bell when it does?

I'm none too impressed with Bell or Telus (I'm on Bell, my wife on Telus). Nobody seems to know anything with any degree of certainty regardless of which level of the food chain I can speak to.

The people you've spoken to:

A. Have no idea.

B. Know something, but can't tell you.

C. Made something up on the spot.

D. Passed on a rumor they heard, which was based upon half understood facts.

E. Are aliens living among us, disguised as humans, and should not be trusted.

F. Are about to fail their next drug test.

Seriously though. The people who pull the strings at Belus do not want us to know.

09-23-09 09:17 PM

I doubt the network will be ready on time. Having it land before year's end might be a bit too ambitious for Belus. We'll see what happens next week, it could still happen.

Personally I would wait for the Onyx. Buy it for full retail off Rogers then unlock and use on Telus. Now would not be a good time to sign a new three year contract with the new carriers right around the corner.

In fact, Wind will use the same frequencies as T-Mobile US, and they are supposedly getting the Onyx. If you can get your hands on one of those and service from Wind you'll be golden.
    09-23-09 10:52 PM

The people you've spoken to:

A. Have no idea.

B. Know something, but can't tell you.

C. Made something up on the spot.

D. Passed on a rumor they heard, which was based upon half understood facts.

E. Are aliens living among us, disguised as humans, and should not be trusted.

F. Are about to fail their next drug test.

Seriously though. The people who pull the strings at Belus do not want us to know.

very true, im one of the reps for bell and they havent let anything out really only some and telus is in the dark more because bell is fronting the entire bill to move and telus is going to move off of us (cause they use are towers in ontario), now all we know for SURE is that its going to be up and running before the olympics
    09-23-09 11:23 PM
    I doubt the network will be ready on time. Having it land before year's end might be a bit too ambitious for Belus. We'll see what happens next week, it could still happen.

Personally I would wait for the Onyx. Buy it for full retail off Rogers then unlock and use on Telus. Now would not be a good time to sign a new three year contract with the new carriers right around the corner.

In fact, Wind will use the same frequencies as T-Mobile US, and they are supposedly getting the Onyx. If you can get your hands on one of those and service from Wind you'll be golden.
    This unlocking thing too, it doesnt work like this in canada, telus and bell both use serial numbers to put phones on our network, now if its not a telus phone it wont work on telus, visa versa for bell..
    09-23-09 11:25 PM
    Corruptyed:
    While the use of serial #'s may be the norm now for cdma devices, I think that might change for UMTS 850/1900 devices.

Using unlocked devices on Rogers and other 3.5G networks around the world is the norm. (GSM 3g and 2g also).

Do Bell and Telus want to be among the great minority of cheapest/greediest carriers who DON'T allow this?

*start rant*
    Now that I think about it, they might. Greedy, controlling losers that they are.
    *end rant*

09-24-09 05:56 AM
    very true, im one of the reps for bell and they havent let anything out really only some and telus is in the dark more because bell is fronting the entire bill to move and telus is going to move off of us (cause they use are towers in ontario), now all we know for SURE is that its going to be up and running before the olympics

Hahaha ya gotta love the internet.

I've read elsewhere that Telus is fronting the lions share of the bill.

09-24-09 06:04 AM
    Hahaha ya gotta love the internet.

I've read elsewhere that Telus is fronting the lions share of the bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at qapforums.crackberry.com
    Nope bell is fronting most almost a billion I believe Telus I think is later on putting 300 million to help move towards 4g could be wrong

09-24-09 09:37 AM
    Bell and Telus will get to 4G just in time for Wind to hit with super cheap nationwide plans and pound all these other carriers ! thank god finally competition!
    09-24-09 11:15 AM
    Thought id put my 2 cents in here...

Telus will have the storm2 and not the onyx
    09-24-09 12:14 PM

Which one?

(Your answer only gave us 1 cent)

09-24-09 01:26 PM
    ok my bad 1cent...
    09-24-09 11:13 PM

clearly bell and telus get the storm series, rogers gets the bold series
    09-25-09 09:46 AM
    BUT....

The 9700 was seen in the Bell system last month. Which means maybe Telus will get it too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/la...g-bell-294004/
    09-25-09 10:52 AM
    BUT....

The 9700 was seen in the Bell system last month. Which means maybe Telus will get it too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/la...g-bell-294004/
    O touche, forgot the hspa could play a role in all this. I dont know if that happens rogers is going to get really burned for competition imo
    09-25-09 11:01 AM
    O touche, forgot the hspa could play a role in all this. I dont know if that happens rogers is going to get really burned for competition imo
    Agreed if this happens rogers would need to step their game up.. If it does go to bell and telus then i don't see a reason y rogers wouldnt get the storm2, although i know that they said at a conference rogers doesn't want a touch screen berry in their line up.. Who knows maybe things will change in 2010..
    09-25-09 12:00 PM
    Corruptyed:
    While the use of serial #'s may be the norm now for cdma devices, I think that might change for UMTS 850/1900 devices.

Using unlocked devices on Rogers and other 3.5G networks around the world is the norm. (GSM 3g and 2g also).

Do Bell and Telus want to be among the great minority of cheapest/greediest carriers who DON'T allow this?

*start rant*
    Now that I think about it, they might. Greedy, controlling losers that they are.
    *end rant*

Bellus are that indeed, and the transition to GSM will be an eye opening experience for them and their reps. This was one of the reasons they didnt go GSM when Rogers did, to protect themselves and their investments in the phones.
    09-25-09 01:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD