The Storm has a thin black plastic plate with clear holes over the cam and LED flash, and is only sticky taped on.

Does anyone know if the Tour uses this same approach? From the various photos, looks like a cam plate is used which I'm going to assume is also just sticky taped on.

So, if the cam plate approach is being used, I'm also going to assume that the no-cam Tour version has a solid plate and without the silkscreened "3.2 MP autofocus" or something to this effect.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to order a no-cam Tour plate? Go to RIM directly or try thru VZW?

Having a no-cam option on a cam version would be ideal for me ...
    06-27-09 11:26 AM
    If the no cam version of the 9000 is any indication, that is not the approach that is used. The camera is physically removed.
    06-27-09 11:32 AM
    I figure they would remove the cam for the no-cam version. I was thinking more about the cover plate they would be using, and seeing if I can somehow get one and use it on a cam version, giving it the appearance of a no-cam version.

Ideally, I would have cam version and be able to have it appear to be a no-cam version for places not allowing phone cams.

This is what I currently have to do on my Storm to show a "no cam" version. I just printed "NO CAM" on white thin paper, removed/reattached the plate with the paper over the cam and flash. I would have much preferred replacing that plastic plate with something solid.
    Last edited by Jubz; 06-27-09 at 11:40 AM.
    06-27-09 11:37 AM
    My friend placed a window tint-esk film over his storm (not allowed camera for work) and it looks and works beautifully.
    06-27-09 11:54 AM
    well it doesn't look like the battery cover will even go as high as the camera..

maybe if the battery cover actually went over the top of the camera..

but keep in mind that no matter which back on the phone you get it still has to go into the slots for it to stay on so I doubt a separate cover will help..
    06-27-09 03:00 PM
    I was thinking more of a replacement cover plate, which doesn't have the clear areas for the flash and cam.

I guess I can always get a bunch made in black Lexan at the appropriate thickness and measurements and offer them up for folks here who need to temporarily hide/disable their cam. I was just about going to do this for the Storm but now not worth the trouble ...
    06-27-09 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD