My Carrier has recently decided to feature the Curve 8900 as their new smartphone. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the phone to see if there was anything I needed to watch out for before purchasing it. And as I side note my carrier offers NO more than EDGE so the a 3G capable phone would not matter really. Please give pros and cons. Thought it would be a good idea to get real user reviews instead of someone who has just used it one day and tell me how great it is. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.
    06-26-09 09:40 PM
    Its a terrible device, don't buy it!!!

Search is your friend! (hint: start with my signature)
    06-26-09 09:40 PM
    Can you give a little more info than that. Like what problems do you have and also how downloading videos over and EDGE network to the phone. The lady at the store told me it is not so much the speed of the internet, but the processor in the phone. Thanks
    06-26-09 09:42 PM
    Use the search tool there a lot of threads already like this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 10:24 PM
    Go to a Chevrolet dealer and ask him how does he like Chevrolet cars,get my point?
    06-26-09 10:44 PM
    Personally I use it mainly for calls and emails, therefore the lack of 3G doesn't bother me much. If you're a heavy internet user or like to stream radio to your phone the EDGE network might be a little slow, causing a lag in load time and constant buffering. I came from the 8700 to 8800 and now the 8900.

06-26-09 11:43 PM
    The 8900 has enhanced EDGE which features 8 channels to pick up signal rather than the 2 channels used in most other devices so your internet should be quicker than the edge you're used to. If there is no 3G offered then the 8900 is the best blackberry device. Great camera, a lot of memory, brilliant screen, etc. If I did not have a Bold then I would be using my 8900.

There are not many cons: some might consider the keyboard size to be on the small side but it is very fast once you adjust. The major con is the lack of 3G which won't affect you so I'd say go ahead and purchase!!
    06-27-09 01:19 AM
    The 8900 imo is the best BB out right now. The only drawback is lack of 3G but as others have said it's plenty quick without it. I came from a storm and don't notice the 8900 being any slower at browsing and I also stream music just fine over EDGE. I have a 16GB memory card in it with some music and movies. Overall it's an excellent BB and have I've had no issues with it. Unlike the storm it does everything it's supposed to without lags or bugs. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
    06-27-09 05:14 AM
    the best ever
    06-27-09 05:25 AM
    Wait for the 8950 coming out in August according to my sources in Mumbai.

06-27-09 09:06 AM
    I wanna dip my balls in it!

06-27-09 10:21 AM
    ^ ugh....ok....the 8900 is tha bombest BB on the market
    06-27-09 10:47 AM
    Yep..... Go 8900 bestest berry yet!!!

06-27-09 11:09 AM
    Prospekt or anyone else who might know.

Can you explain to me the enhanced EDGE. Is that something the phone does or the Carrier has to be able to handle. Because if I have read correctly on other sites 3G uses 10 lanes and your saying EDGE can use 8 instead of 2 depending on the phones capability not the carrier.
    06-27-09 12:29 PM
    Yes, the 8900 uses 8 channels for EDGE instead of two. It is all handled in the device hardware.
    06-27-09 12:31 PM
    Aristile can you tell me how many channels my HTC DASH uses and how much speed this might add for sites such as FOXNEWS.COM. Thanks for your help
    06-27-09 12:38 PM
    Well I bailed on the Storm to go with the 8900.

I like the fact of WIFI cause with Tmobile I can use the UMA to make calls and get better signal because in my house I barely got singal now my 8900 connects to either of my routers to get the signal.

Also wifi on it is nippy.. The edge is pretty quicker than on the storm that I had.. I guess because of the 8 channel thing. The keyboard is small but I got used to it quickly

Also the BB Messenger sends pretty quick,, ON my Storm there was a little delay

Tmo is not rolling out 3g in my area yet but I will wait for the next BB to be put on Tmobile as they seem to want wifi/uma in the phone.

But the phone is slick, fast, responsive. The screen looks like a high end RGB computer monitor.
    06-27-09 08:05 PM
    The 8900 is the best bb now. I came from a 8830 3G verizon. I haven't noticed much difference in the speed. The display of the 8900 is way better than the 8830. Adjusting to the keyboard was not that easy, but now I can type faster on the 8900.

Also wifi is very fast and available at many loacations. Wifi is faster than 3G.

I've had my 8900 for a month and love it.
    06-27-09 08:20 PM
    I bought mine only because of an awesome plan deal from Tmo. I was going to just keep this as a backup and buy a jailbroken iphone but I'm happy enough with my 8900 I've stopped looking at iphones. Great little phone and making me a crackberry convert.

06-27-09 08:37 PM
    If the 8 channel thing is a fact, then why is this not mentioned on Blackberry's website.

I think I can see how this would make the unit run faster and maintain a better quality Edge signal. Do all 8 channels recieve various portions of the data and the device then assembles the result?

I have been rather displeased with TMO and the quality of the signal where I work for more than 8 month's, but if the 8900 has better signal processing ability I might just try one.

Can anyone suggest whether or not it would be worth my time and money to try it?
    06-27-09 10:43 PM
    i love my 8900, only thing is battery lasts 2-3 days, but considering i use it and text a lot, its not bad. clear screen, awesome media functions, everything about it is nice.
    06-27-09 11:32 PM
    had the phone for about 3 weeks now by far its one of the best if not the best phone i have ever had. although some dislikes...no threaded messages....also some of the today themes i have come in contact with have a problem with keeping some of the messages on the home screen even after you delete them....the keyboard is small but i do have big fingers so i guess its just me....gotten used to it though....ummm other than that everything else is great. plus you have a community of very helpfull people to get you through any issue you may have so...all in all a great choice
    06-28-09 12:02 PM
    Love it and can't think of having another phone at the moment.
    06-28-09 01:03 PM
    had the phone for about 3 weeks now by far its one of the best if not the best phone i have ever had. although some dislikes...no threaded messages....
    Really? My Curve 8330 threads messages. Is this really gone in the 8900? That would be a big disappointment for me.
    06-28-09 01:40 PM
    I love this phone. I have had it for three weeks and it is by far the best phone I've ever had.

I have been looking for phones for a while, but didn't plan on getting a BlackBerry. When I saw the 8900 at Costco, I really liked it. I went home and started doing some research. Every review I read gave this phone stellar marks. I went back the next day and bought it

The only problem that I have, is that I can't seem to put it down.

06-28-09 02:33 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD