Hey, guys! I've a question, you see I told someone who's on tmo and wanted the iphone 3gs to use it unlocked for tmo. He said that by using an unlocked iphone on tmo you'll lose features. Is that true? If so, what features do you lose? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 05:43 PM
    Don't waste your money on a 3G version since AT&T's 3G network is different than TMO's. Get a 2G and you'll be good to go.

I currently use a 2G on TMO and all features work. Not sure what you'd lose other than 3G capabilities. You'll need one of the Blackberry data plans for email and web. You'll need a 3rd party app for MMS as the 2G doesn't come with it.
    06-26-09 09:24 PM
    Thats not true.... Well hes right about the fact that you can't use 3G on Tmobile is right but then what i think you should do instead of getting the 3gs is get a 3G from your local craigslist or ebay and just use that.... Otherwise most things will work and also MMS you have to use a 3rd party app.. preferably SwirlyMMS and everything should just work fine. The reason why i say you should get a 3g instead of the new one is because its not really justifiable to pay so much for a phone that barely has any new features besides speed because almost everything else you could just get an app for it off cydia or the appstore and good luck shopping!
    06-26-09 09:37 PM
    I have a friend who works in a phone store near my house and he's tech savy. He told me that depending on the phone, you can use tmo's 3g on an unlocked 3g phone from att. I also walked in another authorized dealer and asked the same question and they unequivocally replied "yes". I hear on CrackBerry that you can't , but I hear that you can in authorized dealers here. I wonder why??

06-26-09 09:40 PM
    I have a friend who works in a phone store near my house and he's tech savy. He told me that depending on the phone, you can use tmo's 3g on an unlocked 3g phone from att. I also walked in another authorized dealer and asked the same question and they unequivocally replied "yes". I hear on CrackBerry that you can't , but I hear that you can in authorized dealers here. I wonder why??

It's possible that's the case for some phones, but definitely not the iPhone.

To the OP, you also won't have visual voicemail.
    06-26-09 09:42 PM

I worked for TMO, and no, the 3G will not work on the TMO 3G network. It's a different 3G technology from AT&T.
    06-27-09 11:06 PM
    Tmo's 3g is a different frequency than ATT's...I am a Tmo dealer and have unlocked the 2G for customers, and have advised anyone who asks not to spend the extra cash on a 3G, cuz they will lose the speed...same advice applies to the new 3gS...

Get a 2g, jailbreak/unlock it, bolt on the smartphone bundle for data/sms, and have fun...

06-28-09 01:05 AM
    I have an iphone 3gs on att and an 8900 on tmo. I'm considering unlocking the iphone to use on tmo but have a couple questions.

1) Will the iphone on EDGE over tmo be as fast as the 8900 on EDGE on tmo. I think the 8900 seems pretty fast on tmo's 2g EDGE.

2) Will the iphone still work as it currently does if I put the att sim back in?

3) Since visual voicemail would not work on tmo, would I retrieve vm the same as I do on the 8900, ie press and hold the 1 key on the iphone?
    06-28-09 11:40 AM
    The I@hone will probably not be as fast on EDGE as the 8900--I have never carried an 8900, but from what I hear, its the processor that makes it so speedy...

The devteam just popped the 3g a little over a week ago, have they already popped the 3gS? If not, I would be very cautious when trying to jb/ul it....

06-28-09 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD