So out of nowhere tonight I did a normal reboot daily of the storm and noticed right after the reboot two different browser icons showed up.

The icons are of VzwTones and VCast Song ID available for download. Is this new or been there before? VzwTones is just like the dumbphones version but made for the storm. Not sure if they are new or not. But just downloaded VzwTones and hid the I'd one since I wouldn't use it.

New or seen old before? Strange that I just got those two things. :|

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 01:54 AM
    Holy ****.. i just got those too

they're definitely new... probably wirelessly installed.. then needed a restart
    06-26-09 02:10 AM
    They've been available at start.vzw.com (from the BB Browser) for a couple weeks now but the push is new.
    06-26-09 02:43 AM
    Is this pushing to all phones, or just the official .148 installed phones? I'm running Lyricidal's beta 7 hybrid.
    06-26-09 02:45 AM
    Is this pushing to all phones, or just the official .148 installed phones? I'm running Lyricidal's beta 7 hybrid.
    I can't really tell since mine is official and I already have it installed but I suspect it is only being pushed to the ones with the official version . . if you dont want to wait browse to start.vzw.com and download it manually. But then again that might not work as I've had issues with the site being able to tell if you have the official version or not and not leting you download.
    06-26-09 02:59 AM
    I just found the new icons after a reboot as well. Rather annoying as I won't be using either one.

06-26-09 03:02 AM
    and i thought it was just me...my phone was a bit slow so i did a quick pull amd noticed vzw tone icon, thought it was because i installed vcast song id tis morning.
    06-26-09 03:36 AM
    I just found the new icons after a reboot as well. Rather annoying as I won't be using either one.

They are just shortcuts to download the apps, not the apps themselves and if you dont intend to use them you can hide them or put them in a folder, but from my experience with the Bold and 8900 I can tell you that if you delete them they will likely be back after your next reboot.

Interesting that they are not in the Application Center yet . . .
    06-26-09 03:41 AM
    I'm running BBcrackmans Hybrid 6 and it showed up on my home screen this morning too. Not sure I like VZW pushing non-critical apps to my phone without any notification/warning.
    06-26-09 05:24 AM
    Gotcha -- launchers not apps. I'll have to hide these for now.
    06-26-09 05:26 AM

One good thing we can hide them and not have to see them.
    06-26-09 06:06 AM
    I just did a quick pull and they don't show up on mine?
    06-26-09 06:16 AM
    Just saw these as well. Very irritating, I do not see a way to delete them at all. They are hidden for now, but as VZWRocka said if you delete them they will propally just come back.

Wish there was a way to opt out of Verizon vendor spam, but I am sure the TOS allows this type of stuff.
    06-26-09 06:16 AM
    Very. Annoying to pay so much a month for service and be spammed.

06-26-09 06:19 AM
    Okay...imagine you're running a business. The goal is to make money, right?
    If one of the biggest money makers for a phone company is their ringtones and ringback tones, wouldn't you think it would be a VERY smart business decision to push the program used to easily download these tones to about 1.8 million Storm users?
    I thought so. Stop crying about it and hide the icons and never deal with it again.
    06-26-09 07:36 AM
    Very. Annoying to pay so much a month for service and be spammed.

I agree! This is BS. They dont even tell us when stuff gets added to our devices? Not right!
    06-26-09 07:36 AM
    I used quick pull and have not found these? I have my quick pull auto set for 12:00AM daily.
    06-26-09 07:50 AM
    They showed up on my screen today and I know of one other person as well. Now let me see if I can just delete the darn things.
    06-26-09 07:53 AM
    Sneaky dudes!
    06-26-09 07:53 AM
    OK, so how do we get rid of them? I'm not seeing them listed in applications, do we have to use Shirnk OS?
    06-26-09 08:00 AM
    I got them, figured it was a vzw push, moved them to a folder and then hid them.

I understand why they pushed them, and it was easy to deal with them on my end, but I don't like them being able to load software on my phone without a notification, or better yet, a prompt. Makes it feel less secure, open.
    06-26-09 08:03 AM

I understand why they pushed them, and it was easy to deal with them on my end, but I don't like them being able to load software on my phone without a notification, or better yet, a prompt. Makes it feel less secure, open.
    I just did the same but I think they are using up a bit of app memory, not too much say maybe 4mb but still I'd like to get rid of them.
    06-26-09 08:09 AM
    showed up on my phone too but also my custom sound profile disappeared at the same time. kind of annoying that I have to set it all up again
    06-26-09 08:21 AM
    Yup they are there now. Damn verizon.

06-26-09 08:21 AM
    I don't have either of these and, frankly, I'm thankful. I wouldn't appreciate VZW pushing unsolicited garbage to my phone and, as has been stated here already, certainly not without at least a prompt or option to decline the installation. If I want this kinda crap on my device I'll go out and install it myself, plain and simple.

That said, is there a way to actually delete these from the device either via Options>Advanced Options>Applications or through the Desktop Mananger?
    06-26-09 08:28 AM
159 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD