Hello all!

I got my Curve when it came out last summer (actually ordered it the first day I could). Anyway, I want to upgrade to the Tour when I can, but I don't want to drop $400 to do it. I'm not a premier customer (I'm on SERO)...

Is there any way to get the 2-year upgrade price without being a premier customer or will I just have to wait until next summer and get what's good at that point?

Thanks!
    06-25-09 01:43 PM
    At 12 months you are eligible for $75 off but that is still going to hurt. You can get full upgrade pricing at 22 months. You can try and get retentions to let you sign another two years and get full upgrade pricing but its and iffy proposition.
    06-25-09 02:36 PM
    Also with the $75 you won't qualify for any rebates or instant savings. Its just the $75 off the retail price of the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 03:34 PM
    Is there any way to get the 2-year upgrade price without being a premier customer
    No.

or will I just have to wait until next summer and get what's good at that point?

Thanks!
    Yes, You're Welcome.
    06-25-09 04:14 PM
    Tour will stiil be rockin next summer!!!! No worries and prolly new crackberries added to the lineup by then...hey, a guy can dream can't he...lol

06-26-09 07:20 AM
    I just don't see what all the hype is for the Tour. To me it will do the exact same things as the Curve. WHAT AM I MISSING???? Or are people just excited to get a new blackberry that will do everything the curve will?
    06-26-09 07:46 AM
    Hello all!

I got my Curve when it came out last summer (actually ordered it the first day I could). Anyway, I want to upgrade to the Tour when I can, but I don't want to drop $400 to do it. I'm not a premier customer (I'm on SERO)...

Is there any way to get the 2-year upgrade price without being a premier customer or will I just have to wait until next summer and get what's good at that point?

Thanks!
    You could always upgrade to a plan that allows you to become a SP customer and wait the specified amount of months and then get it.

I suggest this b/c this is what happened to me -- I signed with Sprint in July 08 on SEP, I was upgrade eligible in December. I didn't do it to take advantage of anything or whatnot, it's just the wy that it happened.

However, if you do take that option, I would advise you to stay on that plan and not try to screw them over. Besides, if you get the $69 everything plan (450 min, plus unlimited data and messenging) and then get one of the discounts (for your work, credit union, or whathaveyou) then you'll probably be around the same amount of money.

As for the person who asked the big deal about the Tour -- I would say, yes, the curve can do everything the Tour can, but it's got a better processor, better graphics, etc. It's a BETTER phone.

However, my Curve will have to do me until December -- but then I WILL be upgrading Unless I get lucky and I can get one of my local Sprint people to ugrade me sooner with a new 2 year agreement that is....and yes, I will ask
    06-26-09 08:00 AM
    To do what PrncessMelissa suggests:
    If you are on a family plan you have to be on a plan that is 99$ or higher to be eligible for S|P. Just so you know.

And I agree with an above poster who stated that by the time you can actually upgrade, something way more awesome than the Tour might be out. Frankly, the specs on that thing are not impressing me. It is my fallback plan possibly in the case that I don't like the Pre when I get it.
    06-26-09 09:02 AM
    When the phone comes out call up sprint and ask to speak to acct services.
    Ask them if they can work out some kind of deal with you.
    As long as you are a good customer with little to no problems then they will help you out. That's how I got my 800w.
    I called up and reasoned with the politely and they did everything I needed.

06-26-09 09:11 AM
    To do what PrncessMelissa suggests:
    If you are on a family plan you have to be on a plan that is 99$ or higher to be eligible for S|P. Just so you know.

And I agree with an above poster who stated that by the time you can actually upgrade, something way more awesome than the Tour might be out. Frankly, the specs on that thing are not impressing me. It is my fallback plan possibly in the case that I don't like the Pre when I get it.
    The other alternative is a single line at $69.99 or more. And then you much must be a Sprint customer for six months and at that plan level for three months and you should be Premier. I say should as there are no guarantees in the Premier world, it can be a little squirely at times and the reps cannot change it.
    06-26-09 09:17 AM
    Wouldn't it be easiest to add a line to get the 2 year contract pricing?? I'm with VZW and this is what I need to do in order to get the Tour. Just going to add a 9.99 ghost line to my account to get the Tour at the 2 year contract price. I'm assuming you have the ability to do the same with Sprint, no?
    06-26-09 09:18 AM
    This thread is interesting to me. I have been a Sprint customer for 13 months. Unfortunately, my employer discount takes my bill to about $64.50/mo (just shy of the $69.99 cut-off). I wonder if I tried what eve6er69 suggested (talking to the account services dept) and mentioned that I have been so close to S|P level for 13 months, they may let me do the new 2 year contract/pricing for the Tour...

Any thoughts?
    06-26-09 09:27 AM
    This thread is interesting to me. I have been a Sprint customer for 13 months. Unfortunately, my employer discount takes my bill to about $64.50/mo (just shy of the $69.99 cut-off). I wonder if I tried what eve6er69 suggested (talking to the account services dept) and mentioned that I have been so close to S|P level for 13 months, they may let me do the new 2 year contract/pricing for the Tour...

Any thoughts?
    Call retentions!! Be polite!! And ask what can be done to grab the TOUR (that you might jump to VZW) they will try to work with you!!

06-26-09 11:32 AM

Any thoughts?
    My husband's plan is the 69.99 everything plan, and his work discount brings it down to 59 and change, but he's still SP, so I'm not entirely sure why they won't qualify your plan as SP.

I hadn't thought about the ghost line thing -- I can't do it though -- I've got a two line max and I've got 2 lines...oh well...
    06-26-09 11:41 AM
    Do what I do when I want a new phone. Sell your "like new" phone on ebay and you'll be half way there. Plus the $75 credit gets you a tour for about $125 and no new contract.
    06-26-09 01:37 PM
    Who would want a phone so badly that they'd add a "ghost" line, for $10 plus FCC surcharges, taxes, etc. totaling probably $16 a month, PLUS pay $199 for a phone, when you've got a phone that clearly is well under 2 years old in the first place? This logic boggles my mind. Do the math, people. You already have a Blackberry. A working, better than most phones on the market, Blackberry. I can promise you, a Tour will NOT make you more money. Despite the music videos you see on tv, if will NOT get you laid. What other reason is there to justify this? Better graphics on a 2.5" screen?
    $199 phone + $16 a month x 24 month = $384 Grand total = $583...
    You can buy a 40" plasma for less than that...
    Ridiculous...
    06-26-09 01:50 PM
    The other alternative is a single line at $69.99 or more. And then you much must be a Sprint customer for six months and at that plan level for three months and you should be Premier. I say should as there are no guarantees in the Premier world, it can be a little squirely at times and the reps cannot change it.
    That's what was stated by PrncssMelissa a few posts above yours.
    My husband's plan is the 69.99 everything plan, and his work discount brings it down to 59 and change, but he's still SP, so I'm not entirely sure why they won't qualify your plan as SP.

I hadn't thought about the ghost line thing -- I can't do it though -- I've got a two line max and I've got 2 lines...oh well...
    As long as you are on the 69.99 plan the corporate discount that might be applied doesn't affect the eligibility.
    06-26-09 02:39 PM
    ^ that is correct, my original plan cost 69.99 + 7 insurance, but with my company discount my monthly payment is around 64. However I'm pretty sure I'm on sp because I'm qualified for 150 off and its only been 1 year and few months.

06-26-09 03:09 PM
    Some of us (like me) want a Tour so they can sell their iPod and still use iTunes playlists.
    06-26-09 03:50 PM
    Who would want a phone so badly that they'd add a "ghost" line, for $10 plus FCC surcharges, taxes, etc. totaling probably $16 a month, PLUS pay $199 for a phone, when you've got a phone that clearly is well under 2 years old in the first place? This logic boggles my mind. Do the math, people. You already have a Blackberry. A working, better than most phones on the market, Blackberry. I can promise you, a Tour will NOT make you more money. Despite the music videos you see on tv, if will NOT get you laid. What other reason is there to justify this? Better graphics on a 2.5" screen?
    Ridiculous...
    Although I agree with you that it really doesn't make sense for people adding a line just to get the 2 year contract price in terms of the Tour (high retail cost), I've worked in retail in both instore and in the mall and there are many people who are tricked into this method. Although usually for the cheaper, "free" phones, they still seem to give into it. Imagine a guy coming in with a broken phone, over manufacturer warranty and no insurance. Rather than dropping $250-$350 one time on a new phone, he can essentially finance the phone if you'd like to call it and pay for it over 2 years, rather than paying it all up front, IF in fact that its going to be a free phone with a 2 year contract.
    06-27-09 02:58 PM
    I guess people finance pretty much anything now. Lol. It feeds into the saying about how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, though. I'm telling ya, I'd probably be in the same boat, if not for dave ramsey.

06-28-09 09:25 AM
    Ridiculous...
    I agree with your logic somewhat, but tend to disagree. I'm eligible for the upgrade, so I won't have to add an additional line. I can justify getting the tour for many reasons. For one, BB's come with a one year warranty. I've had my Curve for a while now and the warranty will be up before too long. If these phones break, they can be expensive to replace (unless you get one on ebay that someone may have dropped in the toilet at one time). So, in essence, by buying a new phone, I'm getting a fresh new warranty.

Also, I'd have to argue that it won't make me more money. I use mine for business, and if it has a faster processor, more memory, an easier screen for me to look at to hammer out emails and enter calendar entries, etc. for $199 (including a new warranty), I'll take my odds that these things can help me be more efficient and therefore generate more money.
    06-28-09 10:43 AM
    I agree with your logic somewhat, but tend to disagree. I'm eligible for the upgrade, so I won't have to add an additional line. I can justify getting the tour for many reasons. For one, BB's come with a one year warranty. I've had my Curve for a while now and the warranty will be up before too long. If these phones break, they can be expensive to replace (unless you get one on ebay that someone may have dropped in the toilet at one time). So, in essence, by buying a new phone, I'm getting a fresh new warranty.

Also, I'd have to argue that it won't make me more money. I use mine for business, and if it has a faster processor, more memory, an easier screen for me to look at to hammer out emails and enter calendar entries, etc. for $199 (including a new warranty), I'll take my odds that these things can help me be more efficient and therefore generate more money.
    YOu're on Sprint, just like I am. The cheapest data plan is $69.99 for 450 minute simply everything data. That will put you on the premier thing, so you can upgrade once a year. While the Tour may havea slightly faster processor and more memory, it doesn't render a curve an ancient relic. In 11 months when I'm eligible for a new phone, I'll definitely be upgrading. Until then, my curve suits me, and is under warranty. That's all I was saying.
    06-28-09 10:57 AM
    I'm probably going to wait until September/October and go see my favorite Sprint Reps and see if they can upgrade me a couple of months early -- this way, I'm not standing in line the first day (when everyone and their brother wants one), but I'm getting it sooner than December..The only issue I see coming is that Best Buy usually has the best deals in terms of cost (no MIR, everything is instant). So I'm not totally sure how to handle that one yet...But I'm working on it...If worse comes to worse, I'll be at Best Buy on December 1, 2009 getting my Tour. I can live till then! (but it'll be a tough wait, specially with everyone getting their's in Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov, and they'll be less on the forums for me).
    06-28-09 01:40 PM
    Does anyone have advice for my situation? I activated 2 lines on June 15 and got a Pre for myself, which I hate. I really want to switch to the Tour, and was praying for the rumored July 12 release date.

Obviously, the 20th will be 5 days past my 30-day exchange window. Is there any wiggle room on that, and what's the best strategy?
    06-28-09 07:12 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD