Salutations my fellow crackberry addicts, I'm just a newbie here who needs a little help. I've done alot of reading on the forums here (as I tried to be knowledgeable as possible before posting because I know the forums can be a little unforgiving to anyone who doesn't) but have yet to find a straight forward answer to my question.

It is my understanding that you need a data plan (which I have at the moment) to receive push emails and for Blackberry messenger functionality, which I've read is all through BIS. I also have a nearly constant Wifi connection and I've noticed that while I'm connected to Wifi that BIS as well as BES switch from mobile network connection to a Wifi connection.
    If this is the case and BIS is still connected, why can't I get my emails and use BBM without a data plan? Is there a way to do this?
    I ask because If I am to able to do so, I'm canceling the data, as it would be $30 that I really don't need to spend every month.
    I don't know if it matters or not but I have an unbranded 8900, currently using T-mobile

thanks in advance to all who reply.
    Last edited by Mjbarry05; 06-25-09 at 09:05 AM.
    06-25-09 09:02 AM
    no you can not use BBM or push email withOUT a dataplan.

BIS/BES service only works on the dataplan. I personally think it is a hitch and RIM gets a kickback :-p
    06-25-09 09:05 AM
    The reason you are getting the emails and BBM over the WiFi is because of UMA. What UMA does is connect your device to your carrier's network via the Internet on your WiFi connection. Once the phone connects to the carrier's network it then uses the services you have setup on your account so at this point if you have BIS then you can use the features that grants you and if you do not then you will not have those features.
    06-25-09 09:44 AM
    The reason you are getting the emails and BBM over the WiFi is because of UMA. What UMA does is connect your device to your carrier's network via the Internet on your WiFi connection. Once the phone connects to the carrier's network it then uses the services you have setup on your account so at this point if you have BIS then you can use the features that grants you and if you do not then you will not have those features.
    Wow. That makes total sense. Thank you for clearing that up.
    06-25-09 09:50 AM
    Not a problem and you are welcome.
    06-25-09 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD