What if RIM made landscape style Berry? A bread and butter QWERTY device but on its side. You could get a 16x9 ratio screen. The buttons on the keyboard could be wider. Stereo speakers (one on each end, left and right, *and* center?). Could dock like the storm. Camera set up like a normal digital camera. I like it more the more I think about it. May sketch out a pic. I'm no PhotoShopper. Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 08:41 PM
    What if RIM made landscape style Berry? A bread and butter QWERTY device but on its side. You could get a 16x9 ratio screen. The buttons on the keyboard could be wider. Stereo speakers (one on each end, left and right, *and* center?). Could dock like the storm. Camera set up like a normal digital camera. I like it more the more I think about it. May sketch out a pic. I'm no PhotoShopper. Thoughts?

ohhhhhh like a oversized env

could be cool
    06-24-09 09:19 PM
    I know you had no intentions of it sounding this way, Greg, but the Env did immediately come to mind. I'd need a pic for a better idea.
    06-25-09 12:03 AM
    i agree i was thinking env but in other reguards i'm sure it would sell because it's a new style i like that idea tho..
    06-25-09 12:34 AM
    Did a quick sketch. I need to work on the keyboard before I scan it. Not happy with the layout. Looking at a SureType style but want to see if I can make it full QWERTY. Shouldn't be hard, I'm just not that amazing of an artist. Friday I should have something up.

06-25-09 01:19 AM
    Did a quick sketch. I need to work on the keyboard before I scan it. Not happy with the layout. Looking at a SureType style but want to see if I can make it full QWERTY. Shouldn't be hard, I'm just not that amazing of an artist. Friday I should have something up.

Yes, make it full QWERTY. But go ahead and include SureType in the OS.
    06-25-09 07:22 AM
    The device would be too big. I'd rather have it be a little thicker and have the keyboard slide out.

Also, it would be very akward to use it in portrait mode while looking a sideways keyboard going up the side.
    06-25-09 08:05 AM
    Here's what I came up with. Remember, I'm no designer.

*the links... sidewinder pencil on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

sidewinder on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    07-17-09 02:47 PM
    Im heading to the patent office as we speak, thx Gregerator... on a serious note thats what this site is all about new and innovative ideas. Keep up the good work.

This maybe a pretty heavy device unless u can find a lighter polymer casing.

And yes i would like a pint please.
    07-17-09 04:06 PM
    Didn't RIM start out with a design like this? On the 950?
    07-17-09 04:10 PM
    lol your drawing looks like a patent application. RIM could use it

Like your idea!
    07-17-09 05:24 PM
    This maybe a pretty heavy device unless u can find a lighter polymer casing.
    I based it on the 8900. No reason the internals would have to change. It's the new LCD that might be the challenge. And some new software coding. And I couldn't decide on a trackball placement but as I play with my 8900 on its side, I feel like 2 TBs (one on each side) might be the most intuitive.

07-17-09 07:27 PM
    I could see it as a replacement for the Pearl and being consumer oriented and but I couldn't see it being very successful on the business side.
    07-17-09 07:44 PM
    I know you had no intentions of it sounding this way, Greg, but the Env did immediately come to mind. I'd need a pic for a better idea.

this is what i am picturing .....
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-18-09 at 11:01 AM.
    07-18-09 10:57 AM
    Here's what I came up with. Remember, I'm no designer.

*the links... sidewinder pencil on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

sidewinder on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    MAD PROPS FOR THE DRAWING SKILLS.... but it looks like one of the older Blackberries.......

and i hate to bust your bubble but someone has a CG drawing of something i like better.... and it has been thought of this was posted a while ago...

07-18-09 11:00 AM
    I've seen that one around. I was trying for a non slider and something wider than it is tall, landscape style.
    07-18-09 12:18 PM
    But wouldn't dialing be hard especially one handed dialing?
    07-18-09 03:57 PM
    Not any more so than a Curve. Actually, as I hold my 8900 it'd be exactly the same. Imagine the numbers are 1-T 2-G 3-V 4-R 5-F 6-C 7-E 8-D 9-X 0-S

Last edited by gregerator; 07-18-09 at 05:40 PM.
    07-18-09 05:38 PM
    Make it touch screen with a touch keyboard for portrait view.

forkup
    07-23-09 09:25 AM
    that looks sweet id buy it.
    07-23-09 04:40 PM
    The landscape idea seems interesting. It's the kind of thing I would have to try out, but nice drawing.

As for the slider, that looks cool. I would buy it, if it doesn't end up sucking.
    08-03-09 07:31 AM
    I was just going to say it sounds like a better sidekick. I think you should just make it all touch and have it kinda like the storm with no click screen and no option to go portrait. your drawing looks sweet though
    08-03-09 02:43 PM
    Take the Touch Pro 2
    Remove the WinMo OS
    Insert RIM OS
    Profit

I agree it would be great. I am a fan of the slide out QWERTY (my other phone that I sometimes use is a 6.5 WinMo loaded HTC Touch Pro), but I can't stand the issues other OS' have (slowness, instability, horrible internet life, etc).

If they keep slimming down the Storm, and then just put it back to it's original size w/ the slide out QWERTY I'd be all over that.
    08-03-09 10:51 PM
    I too love to design phones!
    Well smartphones!
    Only BB's!
    Love RIM!
    Peace!

08-04-09 12:57 AM
    Not into it
    08-04-09 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD