In the past few days, I've randomly gotten a 3g on my phone. Then it changes to 3G. What's the difference???
    06-23-09 06:53 PM
    search the forum first. loads of threads like this. the difference being the "3g" means you're in 3G area, but are unable to use data. i got it a lot when my account was blocked.
    06-23-09 06:57 PM
    That sounds about right. I get that from time to time from hard resets, phone does: Edge, 3g, then 3G.
    06-23-09 06:58 PM
    Also notice that when it's 3g you don't have the small Blackberry logo next to
    it. Hence the not being able to use data.
    06-23-09 06:59 PM
    Yap, absolutely right, as well as gprs. You can't use data.
    Try to other area (prefer to open space) or reboot your BB.
    06-23-09 11:33 PM
    my girlfriends is always on gsm. mine loads to gsm than edge... i've only seen 3G once so far..
    06-24-09 03:18 AM
    search the forum first. loads of threads like this. the difference being the "3g" means you're in 3G area, but are unable to use data. i got it a lot when my account was blocked.
    I used the search function and got nothing so I posted the question. Don't have time to search the whole thing all the time. Thanks for answering that though. I hate being confused.
    06-24-09 04:20 AM
    That's weird...I have GPRS showing on my BB right now and I can still browse the internet...is it not supposed to be like that??? I don't have the BB logo right now either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 05:17 AM
    The Blackberry logo doesn't come up with GPRS

gprs = no data coverage (voice calls, sms only)
    GPRS = Data coverage (voice calls, sms/mms, emails, browsing) etc

The Blackberry logo only comes up in reference to 3G signal. With GPRS you are able to do everything on the phone just not at the same speed as you would with 3G. The only other difference is with 3G you can have data services at the same time as you're on a voice call, something you can't do on GPRS.

3G is third generation which is capable of simulantious voice / data, GPRS is in add on to 2G (GSM) but is not capable of both.

06-24-09 05:25 AM
    Ohh ok I see...thanks for explaining. I rarely get 3G so I have to be satisfied with data and voice being separate. Its not a big deal for me anyways though.

06-24-09 06:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD