According to Indonesian local newspaper, Indonesian department of information technology and telecommunications will banned any RIM products that enter Indonesia from this date untill further notice. Apparently my government wants RIM to open at least one of representative office to handle any after sales services.

The impact from this 'ridicilous' news will be huge, including increasing price of Blackberry handsets in Indonesia and also growing numbers of illegal handsets that enter to this country.

3 carriers (Telkomsel, Indosat and XL) also participate in this decisions.

(sorry for my bad English)
    Last edited by dingduck777; 06-23-09 at 11:10 AM.
    06-23-09 10:54 AM
    Why? i didnt really see a clear reason so sorry if you said it in there
    06-23-09 01:41 PM
    According to Indonesian local newspaper, Indonesian department of information technology and telecommunications will banned any RIM products that enter Indonesia from this date untill further notice. Apparently my government wants RIM to open at least one of representative office to handle any after sales services.

The impact from this 'ridicilous' news will be huge, including increasing price of Blackberry handsets in Indonesia and also growing numbers of illegal handsets that enter to this country.

3 carriers (Telkomsel, Indosat and XL) also participate in this decisions.

(sorry for my bad English)
    Why? i didnt really see a clear reason so sorry if you said it in there

See the bolded part of the statement. The Goverment seems to desire a Physical presence in their nation.

I would guess this would be it add jobs as "after sales services" could include a wide Range of duties from something as simple as phone support to repair/refurbishing of the devices.
    06-24-09 09:35 AM
    Wouldn't this be the carriers responsibility to furnish these services?

It seems ******** that the carriers would even be willing to give up all this business and revenue generated by Blackberry's because they're not willing to provide, "after sales services."
    06-24-09 10:04 AM
    Well with the population of India I would assume they try to do anything they can to make companies put offices there.
    06-24-09 10:58 AM
    Well with the population of India I would assume they try to do anything they can to make companies put offices there.
    you ever take 5th grade geography? hes not in India, so what happens there wont help him.
    06-27-09 04:57 AM
    The problem with Indonesia is that most blackberry entered Indonesia illegally. My guess is, the Indonesian government is trying to protect the consumers by buying legal blackberry from authorized providers such as Telkomsel, XL and Indosat. Furthermore, the government is forcing RIM to open rep office to provide after-sales service.

In reality, Indonesian consumers prefer to buy illegal (we call it black market) units because it is so much cheaper than buying it from authorized providers.
    06-27-09 06:26 AM
    Hey guys,

I'm an American living in Jakarta for 2yrs now. As far as I'm concerned, this is GREAT and NEEDED! I can say there is a huge (legal) BlackBerry market here; I think there was a blog post about how surprised some of the CB guys were to see just how huge BB is here. While there are many stores to buy mobile phones from, none of them provide any sort of post-sales service for repairs, issues, or such. This is not an issue, since almost every mobile phone company (as well as most computer companies) have stores throughout the country, that can provide post-purchase services.. You will easily find true Nokia, Sony Er, Motorola stores here, as well as several others. If a manufacturer does not have a true store present, they at the very least have 'authorized dealers' present, who facilitate in post-sales stuff.

If anything goes wrong with your Nokia, just take it to one of the dozen Nokia stores, and they usually fix it on premises while you wait. If your BlackBerry has an issue, you are stuck having to handle any shipping on your own, at ur own expense, to another country. You will have to box it, contact another country's RIM store to find out any relevant forms that are needed, and pay for the two-way shipping to another country. And wait and wait and wait. Also you must consider most Indonesians have zero English skills, so this makes things even more difficult.

Taking the BlackBerry back to the store you purchased it from is not an option, and there are no service centers here. In other words, there is virtually zero customer service for any sort of issues or repairs at the moment.

So I see the Indonesian Gov's point here: every other phone manufacturer either has a service store present, or at the very least the manufacturer has relationships with authorized dealers, who will then handle sending the phone for service (at no charge) for customers. Blackberry is the only major phone maker who does not have this. Given Blackberry has such a massive presence here, it really is needed. The government is not asking RIM to do anything that every other company is already doing. It is just asking RIM to give some sort of support to arguably their largest Asian market.

Just my opinions on it.
    07-01-09 04:49 AM
    ...In reality, Indonesian consumers prefer to buy illegal (we call it black market) units because it is so much cheaper than buying it from authorized providers.

I think another reason some Indonesian's will buy from such places is because those BlackBerries are "unlocked" while Indosat, Telkomsel and XL BlackBerries are locked.

But, there are no authorized sellers of Blackberries. There are only "authorized by Indosat, Telkomsel and XL" sellers, such as E-store who sell locked units for all three carriers. My friend took his Bold back to that "authorized" store and they told him he will have to contact one of the phone numbers on the service doc in his BB's box. So even these "authorized" dealers are only resellers for the carriers (who do not provide any support services for any phone manufacturer), and are not authorized by RIM.
    07-01-09 05:01 AM
    The problem with Indonesia is that most blackberry entered Indonesia illegally. My guess is, the Indonesian government is trying to protect the consumers by buying legal blackberry from authorized providers such as Telkomsel, XL and Indosat. Furthermore, the government is forcing RIM to open rep office to provide after-sales service.

In reality, Indonesian consumers prefer to buy illegal (we call it black market) units because it is so much cheaper than buying it from authorized providers.
    I guess we should really put separation between imported and BlackMarket product (that illegal)
    the real meaning of BM should be the stuff that smuggled and entered into the country without paying the tax and often refubished/troubled device
    and the imported one is BB that bought from outside Indonesia but enter indonesia normaly either u bring it yourself or enter as legal item..
    but lately in Indonesia all the item that not from operator is being called Black Market..

IMHO I myself prefer to buy my BB outside from operator since they really marked up the price quite high and there no real after sales service
    so i prefer to fix it on my own, so why hussle to buy from operator? its locked too.. LOL
    i bought mine from germany with my relative help and i dont have to worry about the imei and pin since i know the history of my phone and i feel safer that way, rather than buy it from "distributor" or "distributor warranty"
    08-13-09 02:07 AM
    i would hate to live in indonesia
    08-13-09 02:31 AM
    ...IMHO I myself prefer to buy my BB outside from operator since they really marked up the price quite high and there no real after sales service
    so i prefer to fix it on my own, so why hussle to buy from operator? its locked too.. LOL...
    I have to agree with you. I paid more than I should have when I got mine from E-Store (reseller for Indosat) and it is locked and has that ugly Indosat logo on it (which my rubber case luckily covers). If I had to do it again, I would have bought an unlocked Bold from a reputable (legal) importer. Now I'm hunting for a place to have my Bold unlocked. :-S
    08-13-09 03:06 AM
    i would hate to live in indonesia
    And why is it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 10:57 AM
    IMHO I myself prefer to buy my BB outside from operator since they really marked up the price quite high and there no real after sales service
    so i prefer to fix it on my own, so why hussle to buy from operator? its locked too.. LOL
    i bought mine from germany with my relative help and i dont have to worry about the imei and pin since i know the history of my phone and i feel safer that way, rather than buy it from "distributor" or "distributor warranty"
    Yes.. I agree... If anything goes wrong with my bb, I prefer posting my problems on crackberry than go to the operator office. They could not solve the problem.. I think the operators should send their technician for some training at RIM...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD