Hi. So I went to get my nails done today and the manicurist went to move my phone and dropped it in the bucket of pedicure water. The water was clean, nothing was in it yet. It was like only for 2 seconds but it was submerged. I took the battery and sim right out, yelled a bit (well a lot), went right next door to the supermarket and brought 10 lbs of rice. I cut the top off and I just kind of pushed it way in to the bag and tied the bag..

The water damage sticker is a light pink and the battery has a red line across it. What do you think? How long should I leave it in there for - 3 days, a week? I still have my Pearl so I put the sim card in and it is really slow. I don't know if it's because I got so used to the 8900 or if maybe the sim card is damaged too - what do you think?

So I have voided my warranty right? I do have the insurance thought tmobile, assurion I guess. I've never had an insurance claim. Should I wait and see or file it now? It does cover water damage, right.

Thanks for any help. I would not have known about the rice trick if it wasn't for this forum. Hope it works. If it is really fried, is there still a way to be able to transfer my settings from the 8900 to the replacement 8900. I'm so bummed ...I hope the rice trick works.
    06-22-09 11:51 PM
    I'd wait to see if there is gonna be any actual issues before filing a claim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 11:53 PM
    You did the best job you could have done by taking the battery out right away. The SIM card is likely just fine and the Pearl seems slow just because you are used to the 8900. Keep the device in the Rice for 3 days and then give it a try. Hopefully all will be fine. If not, you will need to try and get an insurance claim but they will likely give you trouble since it was water damage.
    06-22-09 11:58 PM
    ditto ^^^^
    06-23-09 12:11 AM
    Who is blame by water damage ? the manicurist ? sue them :P

dg
    06-23-09 12:16 AM
    Wait the three days and see if its ok. If not, make a claim through asurion. They'll send you a phone within a day or two. You will have to pay the deductible which is around $110, I think. They won't give you trouble for water damage. The insurance covers it.

06-23-09 01:32 AM
    Thanks everyone. Sucks! I am going to wait the 3 days. I've been going to the same nail place for 18 years (since I was 2 ...hee hee). I told the owner that I was going to try the rice deal and that if I need a new phone, it will be a little over $100 and that I think they should pay it. I'm not going to get aggravated over it...I'll just wait till Friday to check my phone.

It's good to know about the insurance..thanks! I did not know it covered water damage. You know, I am trying to watch my $'s and one of the things on my list was to drop the insurance - glad I didn't.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how the phone works on Friday.
    06-23-09 02:53 AM
    I just recently filed an insurance claim for water damage and I payed $130. Assurion had me fill out an affadavit
    it was a miserable process. They wanted a copy of the back of my phone even though I bought it through a
    corporate store. They rejected 4 copies because the image was not blown up enough. After you
    get through the process they ship the phone overnight, but my advice is do exactly as they say and be
    patient. Good luck!

06-23-09 08:15 PM
    It's good to know about the insurance..thanks! I did not know it covered water damage. You know, I am trying to watch my $'s and one of the things on my list was to drop the insurance - glad I didn't.
    You could throw your phone 100 feet in the air in anger, let it land and break,
    call the carrier and tell them exactly what happened and it wouldn't matter
    as long as you had insurance. Insurance covers pretty much everything.
    06-23-09 08:19 PM
    You could throw your phone 100 feet in the air in anger, let it land and break,
    call the carrier and tell them exactly what happened and it wouldn't matter
    as long as you had insurance. Insurance covers pretty much everything.
    Funny!and good to know.
    06-24-09 01:47 AM
    Do yall call the insurance place or take it to the retailer. If something happens to my phone I take it back to sprint. I dropped it in a cup of water and they gave me another blackberry right their in the store for free!!! I mean I was happy. Why should I be paying for the 7$ insurance if they r just gonna give me the frekin phone

06-24-09 02:09 AM
    The insurance is with assurion and you have to go through them. I believe it is all via snail mail My phone is still in the rice - they think I'm crazy at work - but I am hopeful. The battery is not damaged so maybe the phone will survive - I'll know Thurs night
    06-25-09 01:35 AM
    The insurance is with assurion and you have to go through them. I believe it is all via snail mail My phone is still in the rice - they think I'm crazy at work - but I am hopeful. The battery is not damaged so maybe the phone will survive - I'll know Thurs night
    You should be able to call them or file the claim via their website.

Here's a link for you. Asurion Your Technology Protection Company
    06-25-09 01:41 AM
    Thanks! I just checked out the site, I've never had a claim. Hopefully I won't need it - we'll see. Much easier on the site.
    06-25-09 01:44 AM
    Thanks everyone. Another crackberry success story. My phone works! I'm amazed. The rice worked. No damage.
    06-25-09 10:34 PM
    Awesome and glad to hear it!
    06-25-09 11:06 PM
    hurrah!!!!!
    06-25-09 11:37 PM
    That's pretty surprising that it worked out for you, I'm happy for you.

06-26-09 01:02 AM
    Well, I ran and got the rice right away. I also got it out of the water right away but if was fully submerged. Believe it not, my battery was not damaged. They were making fun of me at work when I said, I had it in rice....but it really worked and saved me $100+ in insurance.
    06-27-09 07:20 PM
    Thanks everyone. Another crackberry success story. My phone works! I'm amazed. The rice worked. No damage.
    That's awesome! Glad to hear and glad it worked.lol Hopefully I'll never have to try it!
    06-27-09 08:12 PM
    That is great news. After I had a claim for a different BlackBerry, that I lost, I was told I was only allowed two claims in a one year period. I started with the online form, but they made me call a representative. If you call T-Mo, they will transfer you to an agent. I didn't have to sign an affidavit, and since it was lost, I didn't have to fax a copy of anything. The people I spoke with were all nice and helpful. I had my new phone in 2 days.

06-27-09 10:02 PM
    Congrats. The rice trick works good as long as u yank the batt right away,atleast it did for me when my 8900 went for a swim.

06-28-09 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD