So I work in the warrenty dept. at att and I've fallen in love with BB's in general. At the moment my personal phone is an LgDare, however I've been wanting to make the switch to a BB as soon as Verizon gets some updated ones (I don't want a storm). Anyway I've been reading up on the Palm Pre quite a bit and it sounds like a pretty solid device. Right now I'm torn between jumping ship at Verizon and heading over to sprint to pickup a Pre or waiting a couple weeks and going with the Tour.
    I realize most people on this forum are slightly biased towards BB, but I'd welcome any thoughts or comments on this decision.
    Thanks!
    06-20-09 04:59 PM
    You're looking at touch versus no touch. Big difference for a lot of people. I realize the Pre has a physical keyboard also but the non-touch of the Tour will attract some people and dissuade others. Power wise, pretty similar. Think the Tour has a bigger screen. Network may be an issue too. Check and see how Sprint's network is where you are. I hear they lack 3G in a lot of areas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 05:06 PM
    So I work in the warrenty dept. at att and I've fallen in love with BB's in general. At the moment my personal phone is an LgDare, however I've been wanting to make the switch to a BB as soon as Verizon gets some updated ones (I don't want a storm). Anyway I've been reading up on the Palm Pre quite a bit and it sounds like a pretty solid device. Right now I'm torn between jumping ship at Verizon and heading over to sprint to pickup a Pre or waiting a couple weeks and going with the Tour.
    I realize most people on this forum are slightly biased towards BB, but I'd welcome any thoughts or comments on this decision.
    Thanks!

my sister just got a pre and loves it..

here is my suggestion way these in the order you do things most

if you like media internet music etc most and like things like email less then the pre is for you..

if your a messaging junky IE love email love texting love instant messages but only sometimes care about the internet and media then the tour is dominate..
    06-20-09 05:08 PM
    My contract was up around the time the pre came out and it was definitely something i considered, but once i heard about the tour i decided to wait
    06-20-09 05:09 PM
    You're looking at touch versus no touch. Big difference for a lot of people. I realize the Pre has a physical keyboard also but the non-touch of the Tour will attract some people and dissuade others. Power wise, pretty similar. Think the Tour has a bigger screen. Network may be an issue too. Check and see how Sprint's network is where you are. I hear they lack 3G in a lot of areas.

You really need to check your facts before you suggest to ppl about a device. The tour has a 2.44in screen, the pre has a 3.1. Yes, there are going to be some areas where Sprint might not have the best coverage, but every cell company has those. But for the most part, in every major city and along all highways there is 3G, just like all the other major cell companies.

I'm not saying the pre is better then the tour, actually I'm trying to decide which one to get also. And from what I have been reading, the media part of the tour is not too bad either. The music apps, media sync, etc make it just as good as the Pre in my book.
    06-20-09 08:02 PM
    i suggest going to each store and playing with a demo for a while. i tried the pre and it feels like cheap plastic. it was also hard for me to use the physical keyboard.

and i just came from sprint...i have a signal in a lot more places now (with vzn)...so i would check the network in your area.
    06-20-09 08:43 PM
    For the love of mike, wait for the tour! The browser on the pre is good, but lets face it you dont really "surf" on your phone! Wouldnt you rather have a phone and OS that is tried and true? I couldnt even imagine sitting with a device that is in need of a OTA overhaul right out of the box! Tour is the way to go, or any BB for that matter! Wait NOT the storm IMO!]
    06-20-09 09:03 PM
    I too was trying to decide between staying w/ bb or going w/ pre. Well I got the pre, and am loving it. You have to keep in mind that it is a 1.0 device, but the updates have been pretty good so far. For someone to say it felt like cheap plastic is just ridiculous, let's see, the day I bought my pre I also touched an Iphone, 8330, 8900,instinct and a few other. Guess what I couldn't tell the difference in the plastic on either phone lol. So, if you want to say you like a bb better that's one thing but let's keep it real. I loved my bb but just wanted something new and that is exactly what the pre is and so far I don't regret my choice this is an awesome phone. The quality of the hardware is topnotch.
    06-20-09 09:04 PM
    same boat here.

just gotta wait til the tour comes out. and I DO SURF on my phone quite a bit. so the pre has that edge. media is similar to me, i mean if it plays music it plays music. interface isn't a big deal as long as the quality is good. so media player for me is dead even. it depends on how good the push email is on the pre (since i use gmail it should be fine).

my friend got the pre and loves it. i played with it and it's def a great device. so depending on the tour, i may have to hold out for vzw to get the pre.

Oh and techinically 4.7.1 is a 1st gen OS. no other phone has it and even tho is based off an old os, we all know that 4.6 on the bold wasn't too great and obviously 4.7 on the storm (despite the new interface) sucked.
    06-20-09 09:29 PM
    For someone to say it felt like cheap plastic is just ridiculous, let's see, the day I bought my pre I also touched an Iphone, 8330, 8900,instinct and a few other.
    glad you touched the other phones. whoopie. i think the pre looks cheap and feels like plastic. you like it. i don't ... and i am not a fan of sprint. i had them for 7 years.

and as much as i hate the iphone, it's a solid built device. much more so than that storm. but the tour is gonna rock. and that is all that matters in this thread.
    06-20-09 09:49 PM
    I love threads like this one. The obvious choice is going to be a BB, no matter what kind of phone you put it against. Slightly biased is a understatement. You can't go to precentral asking this question or a iphone forum, so you should just study the reviews, and make a personal decision on what is the right choice for you.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-20-09 at 10:38 PM.
    06-20-09 10:31 PM
    Don't get sprint. Just wait for the pre to come to Verizon

06-20-09 10:36 PM
    I love threads like this one. The obvious choice is going to be a BB, no matter what kind of phone you put it against. Slightly biased is a understatement. You can't go to precentral asking this question or a iphone forum, so you should just study the reviews, and make a personal decision on what is the right choice for you.

I can kind of dissagree with this..

I love love blackberry's but for my sis and bro in law I suggested the pre.. they are on sprint and really both love the pre but they want different things out of a phone then me..

so it made sense..

I try to be as least biased as possible because even though I love BB's that doesn't mean there perfect for everyones uses..
    06-20-09 11:58 PM
    You work for att but have verizon?

06-21-09 12:23 AM
    the pre, to me at least, looks like the most flimsy phone ever made. almost like it'll break in half the first time you drop it. that to me is enough to dissuade me from getting it. but, if you're one of those ppl that NEVER EVER drop their phone, then i imagine it would work out pretty good for you...
    06-21-09 12:40 AM
    Pre is a nice phone but Sprint in my area is not too good. VZ is king where I live.
    06-21-09 12:43 AM
    Not a fan of the cramped keyboard on the Pre...keys feel like one of those fake cell phone toys you can buy in the dollar store for your 4 year old to chew on
    06-21-09 02:37 AM
    You work for att but have verizon?

you make a good point I completely over looked that

wonder why he wouldn't take the att employee discount..
    06-21-09 02:54 AM
    The tour keypad was said to be the "best bb keypad ever." the phone is a bb. eaning it has a solid OS, and it will be much more functional, not to mention that it looks way cooler.
    06-21-09 03:14 AM
    Don't get sprint. Just wait for the pre to come to Verizon

yes go to verizon and pay an additional 40 to 60 dollars more a month for the same phone, same plan and identical service... please you verizon fanboys HAVE NO ARGUMENT against sprint.
    06-21-09 03:19 AM
    yes go to verizon and pay an additional 40 to 60 dollars more a month for the same phone, same plan and identical service... please you verizon fanboys HAVE NO ARGUMENT against sprint.
    just add fuel to the fire
    06-21-09 03:32 AM
    really? not if all the people you call have vzn. i use 1000's of minutes a month, but only about 200 or so count towards my plan. if i was on sprint (which i was for 7 years) my bill would triple.

and THAT is your argument.

i think the new palm os is pretty cool...but the pre just looks cheap...like others here have also mentioned.
    06-21-09 05:38 AM
    I can kind of dissagree with this..

I love love blackberry's but for my sis and bro in law I suggested the pre.. they are on sprint and really both love the pre but they want different things out of a phone then me..

so it made sense..

I try to be as least biased as possible because even though I love BB's that doesn't mean there perfect for everyones uses..
    That's because you're wise enough to realize that every phone has its pros and cons. Me and you both love BlackBerries, but I wouldn't sit here and bash another phone because it's not a Berry either. What makes it worse is when it's Sprint customers doing it, knowing that the Pre and the sales is helping Sprint with the bleeding for a little while. I'm not the one to play the carrier vs carrier game either. I just sit back with a drink in my hand, and smile at the fact I'm probably paying 100 dollars less than you with more features.
    06-21-09 06:49 AM
    I *AM* what you call a Verizon fanboy (Love the network, love the service and the phones) and i *DO* have an argument against sprint.. there is NO coverage at my home and driving a truck on a dedicated route most of that route throughout the day would be no coverage or roaming..
    06-21-09 06:54 AM
    It must be a huge difference between Nassau and Queens because my company Sprint Pearl sucks the big one. I would never choose Sprint based on the reliability issues I've encountered when the same phone is supposedly coming out on a more reliable network in 6 months.
    06-21-09 08:25 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD