I'm posting in the OS discussion since I never had this problem before I upgraded to the official Verizon .148 a couple of days ago, so I assume its a OS issue:
    For the second day in a row, after a few hours of use after a nightly reset, the four hard buttons under the screen don't work when I'm in the home screen. The only button that works is the menu button if I hold it pressed to bring up the switch application window, it does not work for bringing up the option menu. The touch screen works, the side and top buttons work, and if I get to other applications the four main buttons also work, but not in the home screen.
    If I do a battery pull, this is fixed, but it comes back after a few hours of use. Any ideas? Should I re-install .148? Do I need to do a wipe and re-install? Any less drastic measures?
    Thanks!
    06-19-09 03:21 PM
    Why don't you try to just re-install .148 first. If that doesn't help, you can always do a wipe.

Grey
    06-19-09 04:18 PM
    If you reinstall .148 and you do a wipe it and it still doesn't work then just bring it into verizon. I recently (today) dealt with a similar situation after dealing with a non responsive screen for 4 days. It drove me nuts. anyways the verizon rep gave me a brand new Storm and told me that it was a HARDWARE malfunction and that there was nothing i could have done to fix it. I hope that this is not what is wrong with yours but if it is good luck... and if you bring it in to verizon make sure u do a backup on DM first so u can save all your contacts and what not.
    06-19-09 04:24 PM
    Listen to mecky. I basically went through the exact same story only on the phone instead of in store. I'm also happy to report that I received a new phone today for free. Actually it was surprisingly easy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 05:24 PM
    Curious are you running non modified in any way .148? No hybrid, or has not been shrunk etc? What about themes?
    06-19-09 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the responses.
    I am running the official .148 straight up. I went from .75 to leaked .113 and then official .148, nothing fancy, no themes either. As I said this had never happened before I upgraded to .148 2-3 days ago.
    I'll try to re-load .148 as suggested and see; if that doesn't work and after wiping this still happens then I'll try to get a replacement.... I've been happy with my Storm since day 1, so I hope I don't have to go that route. Since this only started happening almost immediately after a OS upgrade, I would be surprised if its a hardware issue, seems like that would be a big coincidence, but I'm not an expert, so I can't tell. In any case I'll post the outcome for future reference.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by medphys; 06-19-09 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer about the themes
    06-19-09 08:12 PM
    In any case I'll post the outcome for future reference.
    Thanks!
    Please do as so many people get their answer and never come back to say what if anything was the required action. It is nice to have closure on these types of threads for future use.
    06-19-09 08:27 PM
    Just wanted to throw out there I have a very similar problem as the OP, that also started when I went to .148. Never had this pre-.148. I am currently running a hybrid with .148 but this happened to me in the verizon official .148 stock as well.

The differences from the OP is that this problem happens to me on more than just the home screen. If I am in an app and hit the blackberry button for the menu, 50% of the time it will show the menu and 50% of the time it will show the app switcher. Keep in mind this is with a quick tap, not holding down the button.

I also have a similar issue with the SEND/CALL button. If I press the call button once to bring up the dialpad, press it again to show the last dialed number THEN press it again...50% of the time I will dial the previously dialed number and 50% of the time it will switch to my contacts and dial the top contact.

I don't have any weird issues with the back button or the end call button, just the first two. I have not decided what I am going to do about it yet but will be curious to hear what happens with the OP
    06-19-09 09:57 PM
    Just wanted to throw out there I have a very similar problem as the OP, that also started when I went to .148. Never had this pre-.148. I am currently running a hybrid with .148 but this happened to me in the verizon official .148 stock as well.

The differences from the OP is that this problem happens to me on more than just the home screen. If I am in an app and hit the blackberry button for the menu, 50% of the time it will show the menu and 50% of the time it will show the app switcher. Keep in mind this is with a quick tap, not holding down the button.

I also have a similar issue with the SEND/CALL button. If I press the call button once to bring up the dialpad, press it again to show the last dialed number THEN press it again...50% of the time I will dial the previously dialed number and 50% of the time it will switch to my contacts and dial the top contact.

I don't have any weird issues with the back button or the end call button, just the first two. I have not decided what I am going to do about it yet but will be curious to hear what happens with the OP
    This is a known issue. It's software related. Also, your keyrate under screen keyboard IS SET TOO HIGH. In a release AFTER .75 but before .148 RIM changed the keyrate ranges. Go in and change it back to Normal from whatever Fast setting you have it on now. Then all you'll still experience is the Menu+Ribbon App Switcher (every other time) you hold down Menu.
    06-19-09 10:40 PM
    This is a known issue. It's software related. Also, your keyrate under screen keyboard IS SET TOO HIGH. In a release AFTER .75 but before .148 RIM changed the keyrate ranges. Go in and change it back to Normal from whatever Fast setting you have it on now. Then all you'll still experience is the Menu+Ribbon App Switcher (every other time) you hold down Menu.
    I went ahead and checked out the key rate setting...its on Normal. Never ever messed with that option before and it has always been Normal as far as I know. The only option I changed in there was left convenience key to "application switcher" and swipe sensitivity to high.
    06-20-09 12:54 AM
    I went ahead and checked out the key rate setting...its on Normal. Never ever messed with that option before and it has always been Normal as far as I know. The only option I changed in there was left convenience key to "application switcher" and swipe sensitivity to high.
    Then lower it below Normal and see how it does. Sometimes, settings that govern certain options need to be changed to something else and then back to what they should be at and things work fine after that. This isn't really an issue with the OS software to a point... it's more to do with restored settings in certain cases.
    06-20-09 01:29 AM
    Then lower it below Normal and see how it does. Sometimes, settings that govern certain options need to be changed to something else and then back to what they should be at and things work fine after that. This isn't really an issue with the OS software to a point... it's more to do with restored settings in certain cases.
    I will give it a shot, thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 08:01 AM
    Sorry about the delay in posting the final outcome, but at first I thought I would give it a few days to see if this problem appeared again, then I forgot...
    I attempted to re-install .148, then I realized I didn't know how to re-install the same version OS on top of the same version already installed, so I actually downgraded to .75 and re-upgraded to .148. Happy to report that since then (about two weeks now), this issue (the hard buttons not working sometimes in Home screen) has not re-appeared. It seems to have been a bad installation of the official .148 OS after all. So now I'm very happy with my official .148 OS.
    Thanks for everybody's input and sorry for the delay. Hope this helps somebody in the future...
    07-07-09 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD