I personally don't own a curve but I do know how popular of a device it has become over the years. I am wondering if years down the line if one were to ask you to name a few of the most significant Blackberry devices ever, if you would name the Curve as one of them?

The Curve I believe is the first BB that really attracted the mainstream consumer. The Curve paved the way for devices like the Storm. And based on popularity and sales figures the Curve definitely boosted RIM's income to allow them to expand and research and design new models.

Your thoughts?
    06-18-09 11:51 PM
    I'd have to say the Pearl. That was the first BB to add a camera,
    a media player and external memory.

The Curve really is nothing more than a Pearl with a full QWERTY
    keyboard (and in the case of the 8330, additional device memory)
    but the Pearl is what got RIM solid footing into the consumer space.

The Pearl paved the way for the Curve which paved the way for
    the Bold which paved the way for the Javelin which paved the
    way for the Storm which .......... You get where I am going with this.
    06-18-09 11:57 PM
    Very true, but because of success and sales I would say that the Curve would be the more significant model. My opinion of course.
    06-19-09 12:01 AM
    My opinion: significance can't be measured in terms of sales alone.
    The Pearl was a game changer for RIM and every device that
    followed benefited from it's design and functionality.

RIM did a complete 180 from it's stodgy, corporate only image with
    the Pearl. No device they have released has been more
    significant than that, regardless of sales figures.
    06-19-09 12:08 AM
    you see the mass curves floating around i would say is because of tmobile
    they had the rebates back then for the curves
    its was like 200 hundred dollars for 2, where ppl had data for 6 months, canceled and then sold the phone unlock or not
    06-19-09 12:49 AM
    When I first got a BlackBerry I knew nothing about them other than them being the best of the best when it came to Cell Phones. Then I saw that I could get one at $199 with a $100 mail-in and I was sold. The data plan was a bit unattractive at the time. As I learned more I grew to love everything.

I am willing to bet a lot of people have bought a Curve with that same type of story. Not really knowing what was in store and then finding out as time passed how great the BlackBerry really is.

I mean believe it or not I think the BlackBerry was somewhat of a status symbol (not anymore) at the time I purchased mine and to see that I could get one at an affordable price made it even more attractive.

The Pearl helped a bit too I think. But the Curve really brought that "Real BlackBerry" at a price everyone can afford. Love the Curve and I look forward to whatever BlackBerry I decide to get next.
    06-19-09 06:57 AM
    When I first got a BlackBerry I knew nothing about them other than them being the best of the best when it came to Cell Phones. Then I saw that I could get one at $199 with a $100 mail-in and I was sold. The data plan was a bit unattractive at the time. As I learned more I grew to love everything.

I am willing to bet a lot of people have bought a Curve with that same type of story. Not really knowing what was in store and then finding out as time passed how great the BlackBerry really is.

I mean believe it or not I think the BlackBerry was somewhat of a status symbol (not anymore) at the time I purchased mine and to see that I could get one at an affordable price made it even more attractive.

The Pearl helped a bit too I think. But the Curve really brought that "Real BlackBerry" at a price everyone can afford. Love the Curve and I look forward to whatever BlackBerry I decide to get next.
    Same story for me. I had heard about the Curve and got mine before the big BB advertising push started last summer. One of my S in L's had the Pearl and I didn't care for it.

I think AG is right that BB first entry in the mass phone market with the Pearl was a game changer for them. But if RIM hadn't come out with Curve the consumer end may not have taken off like it did. In addition to the features in the Pearl, the Curve added GPS or wifi or PTT (bring in the stunt groom) and became the basic form factor for other trackball/pad models.
    06-19-09 07:17 AM
    When I entered the world of BlackBerry, I just wanted I device that had more functionality than the 'phones' that were available. As a professional driver, I know many that tote laptops to and fro, taking up a fair portion of space in an already cramped cabin.

My data needs are not really about games, as it would be for some. I needed reliable internet, navigation, e-mail, chat, and a few other things.

When my choices were the Katana Eclipse, LG Lotus, the POS Rant, or a Centro, a Curve for the same price was a no-duh. Especially with the plan prices being exactly the same across the board.

The Pearl and Curve are the Dynamic Duo that really got the ball rolling, and it appears the sky is the limit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 07:23 AM
    Monochrome Java-based Models: 5000-series and 6000-series
    First Color Models: 7200-series, 7500-series and 7700-series
    First SureType Phone Models: 7100-series

These are your game changers the 5000 and 6000 series introduced the BB as a phone not merely a pager-like device and gave us the Java powered OS we have today.

The 72xx, 75xx, & 77xx gave us color displays. The 7270 gave us our first wifi BB

The 71xx series was the pearls daddy introducing the candybar form factor and the Suretype keyboard to the BB

Now the Pearl and the Curve are the most commercially successful BB's to date and from a design stand point I think the Curve is the best Rimm is EVER going to do , it is totally sweet to hold and looks just hot and with the Pearl came the trackball.

So I guess each series has added something significant to the BB brand
    06-19-09 09:30 AM
    was the pearl the one that introduced the trackball?
    06-19-09 09:36 AM
    Yeah the BB Pearl introduced the trackball. Because, well, it looks like a pearl in the middle of the device.
    06-19-09 01:19 PM
    Yeah the BB Pearl introduced the trackball. Because, well, it looks like a pearl in the middle of the device.
    well it brought us to a new age of no more trackwheels
    06-19-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD