This is a long story, but I will try to make it as short as possible. I've been with ATT for years with two lines. I was out of contract and eligible for upgrades on both lines. I had an opportunity to get a discount through work on my bill which ment that I had to transfer the service from my wife's name to my name. I asked the rep repeatedly whether I would lose my rollover minutes and if the transfer would affect my upgrade eligibility. I was told I could keep my minutes and that my upgrade eligibility would be in tact. I would have an 11 month contract that would be replaced by a 24 month contract on the line that I upgraded. Long story short, they lied. My rollover minutes are gone (I can live with that), but my upgrade was pushed back 11 months. After many talks with several reps, most of whom could care less, I finally got my upgrade eligibility back. But, here is the catch: I cannot upgrade from anyone else than ATT. I cannot go through Letstalk.com and get a new phone for a $1 for an upgrade. I have to pay $199+ through ATT since I am still under a contract on my account not on my line. I cannot get anyone to understand how crazy this sounds. Am I stuck until my contract runs out so I can cancel my sericve, or is there a department I can talk with at ATT that can help me out? I know a new Bold for $1 is too much to ask for, but $199 is out of the question too. Any advice would be appreciated.
    06-18-09 12:41 PM
    Through my own experience with AT&T (and most companies for that matter) and reading forums, it is kind of "luck of the draw" when it comes to getting a CSR that cares.

I would try calling back, calmly explain the situation, and request your contract be cancelled and your rollover minutes be returned. If the person you talk to gives you a problem, kindly ask to speak with their manager. The key is to remain calm. Most people are more likely to assist you if you're calm rather than screaming at them.

I had a situation where I moved from PA to NC and had to get a new number. For whatever reason, when they changed my number and gave me a new SIM card, they renewed my contract and my rollover minutes were gone. After speaking with someone, they kindly cancelled the contract and gave me the maximum amount of rollover minutes they could. Unfortunately, the max amount did not match what I had. To try and rectify this, they added bonus minutes to my account for a number of months. In fact, I am currently receiving 60 bonus minutes a month on top of my regular minutes.

Just try your hand at talking to someone. I wish you the best of luck.
    06-23-09 10:34 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I agree completely with your "luck of the draw statement.". I will do as yo� suggest and try calling back until I can speak with someone who both understands the problem and has the authority to do something about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 11:06 AM
    you're eligible for upgrade cause the upgrades come sooner than he end of your contract. I have no idea why you're so upset over this. Your upgrades come 3 months before contract end so either get them now through att, or wait the 3 months and go through letstalk and get your phone for a $1 while paying more for the service.
    As for the rollover minutes and the loss of upgrade, that is a huge stinker and just shows how most CS people just lie and lie and lie or just have no clue about their jobs.
    My advice, if you can't afford a blackberry, don't get one....
    06-23-09 11:15 AM
    The problem has nothing to do with what I can afford. It has to do strictly with being misled or lied to. To be told one thing specifically and then have the consequence be costing me $200 is not right. I would not be upset to spend $200+ for a new blackberry if not for the fact that they told me specifically that I would qualify for any upgrade deal with any vendor.

06-23-09 01:24 PM
    You see, it's CSRs like that that give us all a bad name. To be honest, the one's you're talking to now are in the right, the one you talked to before was full of ****. Both of you. When you do a Transfer of Service, you are, in effect, opening a new account. That means you lose your rollover minutes, and your upgrade eligibility gets reset.

And as for moopenguin, you did a relocation, and were also misinformed beforehand. When you relocate, your contract starts over, and your eligibility starts over. HOWEVER, when you relocate, you also get the chance to upgrade within the first 30 days, which they more often than not forget to tell people.

And jheatdavis, then offering to upgrade you that early is more than you would get from most of the people in my center. By the book they can tell you to pay full price, wait, or pay a $75 early upgrade fee. Them offering to upgrade you without that fee is because the agent actually DOES care about you.

Seriously people, we can NOT reset your upgrade date. There's only one way to do it, and we can get fired if they catch us doing it, so good luck finding a manager that will do that for you. Either take the offer or wait, it's not the current rep's fault that the old rep didn't know wtf they were talking about, and you're seriously ******* up their stats if you keep calling in over and over and suping on them.

Plus, I'll tell you, at least in my center, if we look in your notes and see that you keep suping over and over again, we're gonna start being a complete **** to you and take any offers that were already on the table back off and tell you that you can just wait.
    06-23-09 05:33 PM
    So basically you are saying that the CSR's can just lie to us and we are stuck with it? is there any way that I can find out who handled my transfer of service? I am not so upset that I want to get someone fired, but I do believe that that rep should be told how to handle this situation in the future so that no one else is misled. If I cannot do anything about that person misinforming me, I should hope that I could help to stop it from happening again. I appreciate your response since I just mainly want to know if what I was being offered was the best that could be done in this situation. Since it is on my end now I would like to see something done on att's end to help ensure this doesn't happen to someone else. And any CSR who either flat out lies or unintenionally misleads someone should be corrected appropriately, am I right?

06-23-09 07:21 PM
    They won't actually tell you who it was, but if you tell them you want to report him they can get his UID out of the notes and report him to his manager.
    06-23-09 09:03 PM
    Ok thanks. I will call and ask that he be contacted concerning the error. Thanks for the insight.

06-23-09 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD