Looks like a Bankruptcy Judge turned it down.

Judge denies Coyotes sale to Balsillie - washingtonpost.com
    Last edited by wnm; 06-16-09 at 08:40 AM.
    06-16-09 07:50 AM
    Link no longer any good

My understanding is the judges ruling is that he can't make the determnination by the date prefered by Balsille (june 29?), not that the sale won't go through.
    06-16-09 08:26 AM
    Come on this guy's been trying so hard, give him a team already! Waterloo, WaterBuffalo?
    06-16-09 08:31 AM
    I fixed the link.
    06-16-09 08:41 AM
    He must bring the coyotes to my hometown! (Hamilton) this city neeeeeeeeds an nhl team! Hamilton is too underrated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 09:02 AM
    Just because Balsilie has $ and wants a team doesn't mean he's entitled to one. The NHL has to think of all the teams and how any team relocation would affect the entire league. Hamilton has no suitable arena; Buffalo would lose large enough portions of their fan base that they would conceivably be put in the same boat as the Coyotes are in now; the currency exchange / income tax situation comes into play; the Coyotes have obligations to the City of Glendale which must be assumed by any new Coyote ownership group...etc
    Compensation to Toronto $? (ain't gonna be cheap); compensation to Buffalo $? (Ditto); new arena in Hamilton - $200 million (minimum); City of Glendale obligations - $150 million (minimum); Purchase price of Coyotes $175 - $225 million (estimated)...add to these basic overhead costs all the usual costs associated with a start up team and the total revenue amount needed to get this done is prodigious. Can Hamilton really support this type of outlay? Remains to be seen; I love Hamilton...love the entire region actually and have spent much time there getting to know the deep love and regard for hockey there.
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-16-09 at 09:50 AM.
    06-16-09 09:44 AM
    new arena in Hamilton - $200 million (minimum); City of Glendale obligations - $150 million (minimum); Purchase price of Coyotes $175 - $225 million (estimated)
    For everything else, there's Mastercard.
    Just thought I'd throw that in

I agree with what you said. In these tough economic times who would want to shell out more tax money. But I see a new NHL team in Hamilton as a major plus for this aging city. We need renovations done. Streets repaved, buildings remodelled, more hotels, expand our tiny airport; bringing a hockey team could be quite the costly thing, but in the long run, Hamilton could become a major city in Canada ... or North America ... we would gain so much from this happening, but of course nothing comes without a cost. And a hefty one at that. Known as the steel capital of Canada (although owned mostly by US Steel, lol, the irony.) I personally think the infrastructural benefits to Hamilton would outweigh the negatives of the costs involved. Of course, you need to live here to know what I mean
    06-16-09 10:27 AM
    ]For everything else, there's Mastercard.
    Just thought I'd throw that in :P

And Mr Balsillie certainly carries around a very nice Master Card!

What you say about revitilization is ironically what the Coyotes were supposed to bring to Glendale...the immediate area surrounding the arena has grown wildly in the past 10 years and the NFL stadium right next door plays a huge part in this growth too. Glendale; and all of AZ is in a giant downturn economically right now and I guess going to NHL games is an easy target for families to delete from their budget. Our youth programs are still strong, we have minor league presence and even Arizona State University has a club team. The problem with the Coyotes is...(and nobody within earshot of Brampton wants to believe it)...but... Gretzky and his management team have been responsible for destroying the Coyotes chances to compete for a Cup with horrible player personnel choices; failure to "connect" with our community and disastrous financial expenditures...like Gretzky's $7 million salary...couple this with a population that is mostly from other cities and those people being more loyal to their 'back home' teams there is little hope of anyone turning the Coyotes around if they stay here. Don't be surprised if you end up getting my beloved 'Yotes after all. But Detroit, Buffalo and Toronto will have something to say about a team moving to Hamilton!

Posted from my Bold with a little bit of help from aggressive backchecking!
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-16-09 at 07:10 PM.
    06-16-09 02:15 PM
    Coyotes announce season ticket sales event coming soon. Looks like we keep the team one more year...anybody want Gretzky?
    06-19-09 09:35 PM
    PHOENIX � Chicago Bulls and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf has promised to make an offer by Friday to buy the bankrupt Phoenix Coyotes and keep the team in Arizona.

Reinsdorf�s attorney Alan Klein said his client is in the midst of conversations with the city of Glendale on a new lease agreement that would be part of the proposal.

Klein made the comment from Chicago via conference call Monday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Phoenix, where Judge Redfield T. Baum adopted a sale schedule that gives the NHL the first shot at finding a buyer who will keep the team in Arizona.
    06-23-09 07:17 AM
    Woohoo!!!! Keep this team here in AZ! I just moved to Glendale!!! Coyote's are for AZ, not Canada!!!!
    06-23-09 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD