First off, i used to own a BB 8700g when it first came out with full BIS a few years ago. I then switched to the Curve 8320 also with a BIS plan. So I definitely understand the importance of a data plan.

Now, I've heard it all before. "Why waste good money on a bold if you won't use it to it's fullest" and "A BB without data plan is like a..(insert analogy here)". I understand that there are a lot of BB devotees around, but there are also those who simply love the "non-data" characteristics of the Bold (killer organizer, gorgeous screen, media player, camera, GPS, Wi-fi, awesome keyboard, robust OS, and access to tons of free and paid apps.

So, again I think many in the BB community are being a bit hard on the "casual user" out there. And yes, I am aware this topic has been covered a thousand times.

So what can one do with a new unlocked Blackberry Bold? First off:

- Your new Bold WILL function without a SIM card inserted contrary to what others have mentioned. You will have full access to the media player, calendar, clock, etc. In fact everything but making calls and receiving BB emails of course.

- Secondly, and most importantly, WI-FI DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY WORKS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. Just make sure to go through the Wi-fi setup during initial startup of the new device. There was only one instance where during an adventurous poking around some settings, I lost wi-fi connectivity. I simply reset my device and found out that it wouldn't connect. After a quick reset of my home router, my BB picked up the signal and I was back in business. Personally, I own an Unlocked At&t Bold which I purchased from an online electronics store. I don't know what the At&T reps do to block all the wi-fi goodness before you walk out the door. I am either at my college campus, starbucks, or my apartment: AND ALL THREE HAVE WI-FI. I therefore cannot justify a data plan (Yes, email senders will understand if I don't reply to their messages 0.3 secs after reading them).

- Thirdly, my prepaid T-mobile sim card works on the bold (obviously since it's unlocked).

Some notable apps that I use daily are Beejive (an IM client) and Yatca (a twitter client). Both of these apps are integrated into blackberrys alert system so when I get a "tweet" or an IM message (yahoo, gtalk, and msn), I get a sound alert and the red led flashes. Another cool thing about these two apps is that all messages show up in the Blackberry's email message application too. Others are iHeartRadio and Slacker.

All the apps I've listed work over the Bolds Wi-fi so no problem if you don't have a data plan. However other apps definitely require a data plan to work.

I hope this will give many potential Bold owners an idea of what to expect with an unlocked blackberry. At least until they do decide to get a data plan. Oh, and the BLACKBERRY BOLD ROCKS!! I've owned both the iphone and iphone 3G and none of them compare to the bold.
    06-14-09 03:13 PM
    Thanks for the info I've been bouncing the kill the data plan idea around in my head for a little while now my self.
    06-14-09 03:23 PM
    Sorry. I need to be connected 24/7 and wifi doesn't cut it. Its not everywhere.

There's nothing like knowing that you have access all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 03:53 PM
    Sorry. I need to be connected 24/7 and wifi doesn't cut it. Its not everywhere.

There's nothing like knowing that you have access all the time.

Thats true. I'm not trying to preach to the converted. But again this is for people who don't need to be connected ALL THE TIME. I never said Wi-fi is a substitute for a data plan. I'm merely saying that there is a lot that people can do on the Bold until they do decide to get a plan.
    06-14-09 04:03 PM
    Is it possible to buy a bold from at&t without a data plan? I thought a data plan was needed on all blackberry devices. That's what a rep from verizon told me.

06-14-09 05:39 PM
    How would you set up your email without a data plan?
    06-14-09 05:48 PM
    How do you get GPS to work without a data plan? In general... I never figured out how to get GPS to work...

Google Maps wont work on Wifi, and neither will Blackberry Maps AFAIK.
    But im all new to my Bold, so it might just be me being a newbie.
    06-14-09 06:23 PM
    How do you get GPS to work without a data plan? In general... I never figured out how to get GPS to work...

Google Maps wont work on Wifi, and neither will Blackberry Maps AFAIK.
    But im all new to my Bold, so it might just be me being a newbie.
    Don't have BlackBerry maps installed but google maps works just fine over wifi

06-14-09 06:35 PM
    I need BIS because of I need BB's famous PushMail. Also GPS requires a data plan to download map while on the road. I wouldn't buy the Bold if I plan not to have data plan with it.

06-14-09 07:01 PM
    Don't have BlackBerry maps installed but google maps works just fine over wifi

When im on Wifi and try to connect to Google Maps it just gives me a connection error. Did you do anything special to make it work with Wifi?
    06-14-09 07:08 PM
    A Wi-Fi only Bold is a handicapped Bold to be honest.

Nice to know that some can be casual users, but some of us power users, need the all around package deal.
    06-14-09 07:39 PM
    When im on Wifi and try to connect to Google Maps it just gives me a connection error. Did you do anything special to make it work with Wifi?
    No. But as a thought did you check your app permissions for google maps?

06-14-09 07:54 PM
    A Wi-Fi only Bold is a handicapped Bold to be honest.

Nice to know that some can be casual users, but some of us power users, need the all around package deal.
    Im stuck with no data plan for 2 months duo having my simcard/phone number locked to a subscription that is for a none BB phone , so no server for me yet.

Edit:
    No. But as a thought did you check your app permissions for google maps?

Just checked, its all set to "allow" so nothing there. My error message is:

Network unavailable: this app requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier....
    Opera and BB browser works fine, my wifi works fine in general, just seems like Google Maps wont work over wifi for me.
    Last edited by Wazkyr; 06-14-09 at 08:02 PM.
    06-14-09 07:56 PM
    Thats true. I'm not trying to preach to the converted. But again this is for people who don't need to be connected ALL THE TIME. I never said Wi-fi is a substitute for a data plan. I'm merely saying that there is a lot that people can do on the Bold until they do decide to get a plan.
    I hear ya oten! I meant that reponse as how I need to be connected. Glad its working well for you!

06-14-09 08:20 PM
    Odd for the dude that can't get google maps to work over wifi. I shut off my cellular and data connection and turned on wifi and it worked fine.

06-14-09 08:21 PM
    I would have a dumb phone if I did not have a data plan. I would never justify paying $550 for my Bold and not using it with BIS. I like having/need the internet everywhere. I am happy that you're ok with no data plan. As long as it works for you, that's all that matters.
    06-14-09 08:32 PM
    I would have a dumb phone if I did not have a data plan. I would never justify paying $550 for my Bold and not using it with BIS. I like having/need the internet everywhere. I am happy that you're ok with no data plan. As long as it works for you, that's all that matters.
    Again, I was not talking anyone out of a data plan. Neither did I say I was happy without one. I was simply informing newbies that the device works sans a data plan although it is limited in what it can and cannot do.

06-14-09 08:46 PM
    Well I have a data plan, but, it's always good to have options. Also, the compact Independence GPS unit will fit on your keychain and works fine after pairing for those that want the gps function.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 06-14-09 at 09:10 PM.
    06-14-09 09:00 PM
    Quite a common argument eh? The 'no BIS = you buying wrong phone' people just don't see it.

Assuming:
    1. I'm a student, I don't need pushmail
    2. I want the longest lasting battery in the phone business
    3. I want to surf the web occasionally, usually when I'm at school or maybe starbucks.
    4. I want to be able to do some light edits on my word, excel and powerpoint files, and organise my calendar events.
    5. I don't like touchscreens, I want a qwerty.
    8. I don't like moving parts, so no flippers or sliders
    9. I want a stable OS. I have a dislike for wm.
    10. 3rd party apps will be nice.

What phone should I get? A dumb phone?

Not EVERYBODY has the same needs as you. Stop trying to tell them they do by telling them that you do.

If we replace "data plan" with something else, this looks awfully stupid.

Mr. A: Hey! Apples are nice!
    Mr. B: Sorry, I can't stand apples. I eat oranges instead. Apples are handicapped oranges. Buying an apple is like buying a dumb orange. Oranges are the best. I'm happy you like apples and as long as they work for you, it's all that matters.

See?
    06-14-09 09:11 PM
    Quite a common argument eh? The 'no BIS = you buying wrong phone' people just don't see it.

Assuming:
    3. I want to surf the web occasionally, usually when I'm at school or maybe starbucks.
    4. I want to be able to do some light edits on my word, excel and powerpoint files, and organise my calendar events.

Not EVERYBODY has the same needs as you. Stop trying to tell them they do by telling them that you do.

Mr. B: Sorry, I can't stand apples. I eat oranges instead. Apples are handicapped oranges. Buying an apple is like buying a dumb orange. Oranges are the best. I'm happy you like apples and as long as they work for you, it's all that matters.

See?
    Don't you mean "apples" and "blackberries"? I absolutely agree. That's exactly how I feel. You try to give an honest opinion based on experience and some people just don't want to hear it. Although I doubt most even read my post all the way through.

BTW. LoL! Maybe "apples" and "blackberries" would be more fitting.
    06-14-09 09:35 PM

Assuming:

See?
    Everything you just listed sounds like an IEEE PC would better suit ur needs then a smart phone.. but thats just my opinion.
    06-15-09 10:57 AM
    If the IEEE PC was the size of a phone, able to perform all phone functions, similar price to the bold, and able to last 2 days switched on, I probably would have gotten it instead.

06-15-09 12:09 PM
    How would you set up your email without a data plan?
    I would like to know as well. I didn't realize you couldn't set up your email through wifi. Could you get the plan, set it up, and cancel the data plan? Will it work once the plan is set up?
    Last edited by lopezpm; 06-15-09 at 01:18 PM.
    06-15-09 01:11 PM
    A few things about your psot don't make sense to me, please hear me out. First GPs requires the use of internet service if you really have the gts to use gps on wi-fi and hope you keep that wi-fi connection your hold trip go ahead, if for some reason you lose wi-fi you would be swiming in overage chargers. Second all these apps you are download slacker radio, and even the blackberry world app need to connect to the internet, again wi-fi is only good if you are around the connection area, if you drop that at&t is gonna soak you in overage chargers. To me a blackberry without internet is a paper wait. Why buy one of the best phones, and just use it on wi-fi. Would never take the chance with the emails coming in on wi-fi either, just doesnt make sense to me.
    06-16-09 09:22 AM
    You have given really bad advice here! Basically what you are telling everyone is that it's ok to buy a Bold and just do whatever they want and NOT get a data plan. Let me guess you just got the phone the other day and think you bet the system. Wait to you get your first bill and when you get that bill make a post "I should've listened to the Crackberry world"
    06-16-09 09:46 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD