Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have had a Garmin Nuvi 200 unit and it has suited me just fine and thought why would anyone want to pay a monthy charge (through Verizon) when you can go and pay a one time price and have a nice unit that comes with a bracket mount and everything?

Well Last week, my Garmin was yanked from my vehicle (my fault for leaving the doors unlocked) so now I'm debating on whether or not to go out and get a new unit or explore paying month to month using VZ Navigator.

Seems like a rip off to me. Plus I use a 8130 Pearl which is small. I do have a mount I can use in the truck, but will it be as effective?

Any thoughts?
    03-18-08 08:21 PM
    It's a ripoff in my opinion, especially for you coming from the Garmin. Try it though, you can get refunded if you cancel within 30 days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 09:05 PM
    I only have the VZ Navigator. I travel intermittently across the country and it's nice not to have to pack (and worry about) another piece of equipment while I'm on the road in a rental car.
    03-18-08 11:24 PM
    I use VZNavigator, and have used it for a little over a year. I work in a service industry where I am going to multiple new addresses daily. In that time I have found Navigator to be very accurate and helpful. I have recently purchased a GPS puck to use with BBMaps and GMaps. Even though I now have a 'free' alternative, I still find myself leaning to the use of Navigator. Here are some of the reasons why:

* Voice prompts- It's nice to to be able to hear directions and not have to take my eyes off the road. Navigator gives me plenty of time to turn and clear instructions.

* Clear visual instructions- The screen displays clear left and right arrows to prompt an upcoming turn. If it's a complicated intersection, it will alert you before hand and display a map with a highlighted route.

* Accuracy- I have found Navigator to be very accurate.

* Follow-me map- If I need to see what streets are around me, I have this option.

* Local Search- Easily find restaurants, gas, shopping in my location or in the direction I am traveling. Example: I was working in Panama City Beach Florida and realized that I needed to stay the night. Navigator brought up a list of local motels, with phone numbers, and I was able to call ahead and find a room, at a good price, without having to stop and use a phone book or any other means. I could call from the Navigator interface.

I have changed the default female voice to the male voice because I tend to hear it better, and tweaked some of the options to suit myself, but otherwise Navigator is a decent program. Do I think it's worth $10/ month? I dunno. I have used my 'puck' with BBMaps and GMaps quite extensively, but I think I will be keeping Navigator and use them as a backup.
    03-19-08 05:58 AM
    Interesting points, but for $200 I can have a GPS unit in my vehicle, which is prabably the only time I'll use it. vs. $10 a month which will be the same cost after 20 months.

I guess the nice part is for the $10 a month I'm not stuck with any piece of technology and I can always upgrade. It's sort of a payment plan.....sort of

after 20 months of owning a Garmin or Tom Tom, I'll prababably want to upgrade again to the newest technology. I'm hoping the phone GPS systems will eventually allow me to select an address from my address book and then automatically plan that route for me from my current location. Thats where the phone units need to be to justiy the charge. IMO
    03-19-08 11:09 AM
    I'm hoping the phone GPS systems will eventually allow me to select an address from my address book and then automatically plan that route for me from my current location. Thats where the phone units need to be to justiy the charge. IMO
    They already do that. If you have vz nav installed, scroll to a contact in your address book and hit the menu key. "Get Directions To..." is at the very top of the menu. Click it, and vz nav will open and ask

"Would you like to navigate to this location?
    Name, Street Address, City, State, Zipcode"

Hit ok, and it'll calculate the route from your gps location.
    03-19-08 11:43 AM
    Also...I don't know much about TomTom's, etc., but don't you have to pay for upgrades like the newest maps and the satellite time on top of the unit?

If so, then the VZW will be cheaper in the long run...
    03-19-08 01:39 PM
    about a year ago i found myself horribly lost, at night, in the rain. i did not have a GPS unit at the time, but i did have my phone that was VZ navigator capable, so i pulled over, downloaded the program, and felt instant relief when the voice started giving me directions.
    the next day i went and bought a garmin nuvi 350.
    why did i buy a GPS unit? i wanted a larger screen and something i could mount and see. from what i've been told, if you receive a call on your phone while using VZ navigator, it kicks you out of the program while on the phone, so you lose your directions while on the call. i don't use the GPS that often, maybe a couple times a month, if that. i cannot justify spending a monthly charge on something i use so infrequently. i got a good deal on my garmin online and i am very happy with it and wouldn't change it. my brother uses VZ navigator and likes it, but it comes included with his nationwide unlimited plan for his regular cell phone. if it wasn't included, he would not use it and would have just bought a GPS unit.
    03-19-08 01:55 PM
    go buy yoursefl a new unit, you will be completly PO'ed the first time you need it and you dont have data service. Why the heck do you have to connect to your provider to aquire a gps signal???
    03-19-08 04:50 PM
    Just download it and try it! If you hate it then get a refund

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 06:23 PM
    i wanted a larger screen and something i could mount and see. from what i've been told, if you receive a call on your phone while using VZ navigator, it kicks you out of the program while on the phone, so you lose your directions while on the call.
    The screen is small, but the directions are fairly easy to read. I have a generic cell holder on the AC vent that I set my BB in, works like a dream. As for dropping VZNav when in-call, not so, at least with the BB. while in call you can escape out and select VZNav and it will be right where you left it and still giving directions, just without the voice prompts
    03-20-08 06:03 AM
    I liked VZ nav when I used it for an old job. Personally, a cost/benefit analysis is in order for anyone debating between the two. VZ nav may be perfect for some people whereas a stand alone unit may work better for others.
    03-20-08 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD