First off, I wasn't sure where exactly I should post this so Moderators, please move accordingly. Thanks!

Ok, so I was reading some things I searched on Google about the Storm and I came across a story about this guy who had ruined his previous 4 cell phones by water damage. (How that can happen that many times without him being more cautious is beyond me). Anyway, he ended up buying a storm when it came out and because of his water incidents, he talked to the VZW reps and went over the where abouts of the water damage indicators (the stickers and such). After identifying them, he took his Storm apart, then covered the stickers with a clear, waterproof film layering so well that he actually dropped water onto his phone to see if it would go through. Apparently, according to the Google result, it worked. He ended up dropping his phone in the pool and when he took it to VZW, he removed the film layer on the stickers and their colors remained the same. He later walked out of VZW with a brand new Storm.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this being done? Anyone think this is actually possible?

Gimme your thoughts and opinions.

*I'm still looking for the link to the Google result, but no luck so far. I can't even remember what I was looking for in the first place. As soon as I find it, Ill post it up. IF I can find it. :P
    06-11-09 06:25 AM
    I think the guy should just buy insurance and quit plotting how to screw Verizon out of a new phone.
    06-11-09 06:28 AM
    I think the guy should just buy insurance and quit plotting how to screw Verizon out of a new phone.
    Yeah, I agree with you. Completely abusing his contract.
    06-11-09 06:30 AM
    And the primary reason insurance costs continue to escalate. Fraud at its finest
    06-11-09 07:22 AM
    Sounds like a case for Myth Busters.
    06-11-09 07:24 AM
    google a product called golden shellback. watch the video and then prepare to be amazed.
    06-11-09 07:34 AM
    My thoughts are that you need to spend more time on google searching for words like morals and ethics. This is why all insurance is so costly. Just buy the insurance and you wont have to worry about finding a clever way to deceive verizon. You might be able to use the extra free time doing something constructive.

Grey
    06-11-09 07:41 AM
    google a product called golden shellback. watch the video and then prepare to be amazed.
    That Is Absoultely Amazing !!!!!
    06-11-09 08:21 AM
    All of the prior posters here are wrong! Water damage is the only accident insurance WON'T cover. And get off your pedestals crackberry users. What is this a born-again blog?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 08:23 AM
    All of the prior posters here are wrong! Water damage is the only accident insurance WON'T cover. And get off your pedestals crackberry users. What is this a born-again blog?

actually that is one of the main things assurion does cover jack @$$..the insurance covers everything you could do to the phone except purposeful destruction for a new phone.
    06-11-09 08:28 AM
    OK...the Golden Shellback product does look pretty amazing.

I'm no insurance claim junky, but if water damage is not covered, then I feel the insurance is lacking...not providing the adequate coverage that we are paying for. Therefore, I'll jump off my high horse (if the water damage NOT being covered is true) and have your Storm stolen if it's water damaged, and a bowl of rice doesn't fix the problem. I do believe that loss and or theft ARE covered.

Grey
    06-11-09 08:31 AM
    Water damage is covered. Asurion covers lost, stolen, or water damaged. Like it was stated. Above, the only thing not covered is willful destruction. You can't put your phone in a blender and expect insurance to cover you.

06-11-09 08:36 AM
    Moe
    I totally agree with you!
    He is a punk of note!
    06-11-09 08:54 AM
    You can cover the two wetness indicators with Scotch tape too, it works like a charm as long as the edges are sealed.

A drop in water won't hurt the phone if it's freshwater and you get it out quick, pop the battery out immediately, and dry the phone COMPLETELY before you put the battery back in (in an oven on WARM with the door cracked or in a food dehydrator). I work on the water and I've had phones go swimming three times. The only one that died took a dip in saltwater.

This is also how I learned about those wetness indicators (the red dot with a white line through it on the inside of the phone and on the battery).
    06-11-09 09:01 AM
    Oh yeah, and they DO NOT cover water damage (at least, they did not in my case with Verizon over a year ago in MD). If your wetness indicators show signs that the phone got wet, you can't use your insurance. First-hand experience. The first thing they do is pop the battery cover and look at those indicators. That is why they are there- so they can say "sorry, no dice."
    06-11-09 09:05 AM
    I think things changed because I asked when I bought my phone and was told that the insurance covered water damage, I know when I was with nextel the insurance did NOT cover water damage
    06-11-09 09:22 AM
    Also keep in mind if you fully submerge your phone you will be able to tell besides the water indicators on the back

06-11-09 09:23 AM
    When i get a pool i'll try it!
    06-11-09 09:27 AM
    Aren't there two levels of insurance with VZW? One is basically an extension of the manufacturer's warranty against defects. So in this case, water damage would not be covered.

The other, which is about $1 more/month I think, covers everything else (except willful destruction apparently).

Maybe this is why there are differing experiences w/ insurance?

06-11-09 09:27 AM
    That could be QBert- I'm just passing along what I experienced. It was some time ago with a previous Verizon phone (I'm assuming the wetness policy is independent of the exact model phone).
    06-11-09 09:32 AM
    ...you need to spend more time on google searching for words like morals and ethics.
    Hahahaha!!
    06-11-09 09:41 AM
    There are more than just those two water indicators in the phone. There are a few more inside the phone so if there is water damage and they are attempting to repair it, the techs can figure out the extent of the damage. So, in an attempt to 'waterproof' your phone, you could possibly leave evidence of voiding your warranty as well.

06-11-09 09:48 AM
    Aren't there two levels of insurance with VZW? One is basically an extension of the manufacturer's warranty against defects. So in this case, water damage would not be covered.

The other, which is about $1 more/month I think, covers everything else (except willful destruction apparently).

Maybe this is why there are differing experiences w/ insurance?

I think you are right. I have the more expensive insurance on mine, and I had to have it replaced. I dropped it as I was walking and then stepped on it. Anyway, when I took it in, they didn't even wait for me to explain what happened. She just looked at my insurance plan, took out the battery and memory card and put them in a new one.
    06-11-09 12:57 PM
    These are the terms for Golden Shellback:

What is our guarantee statement in terms of water resistance?:

Products are guaranteed to be weatherproof or splashproof. The device will withstand casual exposure to moisture in the form of rain, mist, fog etc. A product sold with the intention of complying with JIS 7 will withstand immersion in 1 meter of freshwater for up to 30 minutes. Otherwise, there is no guarantee a device will function for any length of time when fully immersed into fresh or saltwater.

What is our warranty?:

Golden Shellback guarantees that the devices will be weatherproof for 30 days. The product will be replaced or repaired per our choice when exposed to moisture as outlined in the guarantee. A device that has been fully immersed in water will not be repaired or replaced.

Insurance Policy:

The purchaser of the coating service should obtain insurance for used equipment from a third party insurer of used equipment.
    Only a 30 day guarantee?
    06-11-09 02:07 PM
    Easy solution.. If it got wet and broke, it got "lost" and should be replaced with insurance coverage. Any questions about water damage being covered are taken care of now.
    06-11-09 02:22 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD