I live in the U.S and I was wondering if I would be able to use my Blackberry, more importantly the BBM application if I travel abroad. I have a Pearl and I know it does not have a GSM card. If i was to buy a World or a Storm, would I be able to use it abroad?

Also, a couple of family members came to visit from over seas and they were able to use the BBM application with their Curve...

What do i need to do so that when I travel I can use my blackberry and all of its features??

I am a verizon customer.

thank you for any help
    06-10-09 11:36 AM
    It really depends on where you're going. Some areas are CDMA, while others are GSM & would require a phone that can handle GSM.

Where are you going?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 12:21 PM
    I will be traveling to Venezuela and I believe that they use GSM. So i am assuming that I would need a BB with a sim card slot?? so the Pearl would not work down there?
    06-10-09 12:27 PM
    The World Edition works most places and the Storm works everywhere. After buying the right phone, you would need to contact VZW and tell them where you are travelling and get them to update your account to give you international features. Additionally, you need to change your plan before going on your trip and change it back when you return.

Essentially, I did the above and had my phone unlocked. I used VZW/partner for data and then when I needed to make calls I swapped out the SIM for a local carrier and made calls. A little inconvenient but it worked for me since the travel was personal and I saved a bunch of money on the voice calls by using a local carrier. In the case of business travel, I would not go through the trouble of swapping SIM cards.
    06-10-09 01:19 PM
    Many thanks to you guys.

One last thing. Once the phone has been unlocked do i need to "lock" it again once im back in the U.S or does it remain unlock permanently?
    06-10-09 04:08 PM
    You can leave it as is.

06-10-09 04:35 PM
    I'm also taking my BB (8130) abroad for the first time in the near future. I'm traveling to a CDMA country, and was told by a customer service rep that if I replace my $29.99 Blackberry data plan with the $64.99 Global CDMA plan (for the days I'll be overseas, of course), I'll have unlimited data.

Has anyone else used this plan? Is it really that simple? It sounds like a great deal -- For the week I'm there, $15 will get me all the data I can eat?

I know that as soon as I make a call, I'm looking at $2/minute... but I can get by on just a few of those.
    06-29-09 12:50 AM
    yes it is that simple. Just be aware that the "unlimited" is for straight BB Email and general browsing and does NOT include connecting a PC to the BB for access to the internet. Also beware of streaming video which I think may be a restricted use, check the fine print in the VZW web site.

In addition, some countries, like China, are a mix of CDMA and GSM with some areas being one or the other but not both. Generally in the large cities both are available.

Don't forget to revert to the normal plan when you return!
    06-29-09 08:13 AM
    Just call 1-888-844-0395. That is the # for Verizon Global Support. You have the option of unlocking your phone to accept other SIM cards (from other carriers abroad, for instance) or unlocking your own SIM card so that you can use Verizon's service abroad. Make sure you are clear on specifying which one you want since sometimes using VZW service is cheaper and sometimes other SIM cards from other carriers are cheaper. However unlocking the phone to work with other SIM cards voids the manufacturer's warranty, so beware of that.

Then they will guide you through all the processes, how to make calls, send messages, use data, including fees and charges etc. It's quite easy. Good luck.
    06-29-09 09:32 AM
    If you are going to venezuela you may be
    better off purchasing a new phone over there.

I will travelling to the Dominican Republic and plan to get the unlimited global plan. Brand new cheap cell phones in the DR cost around US$15 and come preloaded with 100 minutes. I will buy one of these for phone calls.

However... my question is being that my blackberry will be on for data use only is there a way to disable phone service and text messaging all together for the period of time i will be there? Hitting the end button for calls is easy however text messages received abroad are quite expensive.
    07-02-09 02:59 PM
    Ive been told that bbm abroad is free because it works off radio rather that internet- is this true?! Would be great not to have to pay roaming prices for sms messages
    07-09-09 04:38 AM
    I will be traveling to Venezuela and I believe that they use GSM. So i am assuming that I would need a BB with a sim card slot?? so the Pearl would not work down there?
    Get a BB GSM and then unlock it. Once you get to Venezuela get the prepaid unlimited BIS plan by Digitel. It is only 135 Bs. per month. There is nothing to set. The phone will work just as it does with your US carrier.

07-09-09 05:05 AM
    i am in saudi right now but i am going back to the philippines in less than 3 weeks but i can't wait to activate the BIS on my 1 week old blackberry bold. so my question is, will i have trouble if i change carriers? what are the things i have to go through again when i use another carrier for my bb?
    07-15-09 05:53 AM
    i am in saudi right now but i am going back to the philippines in less than 3 weeks but i can't wait to activate the BIS on my 1 week old blackberry bold. so my question is, will i have trouble if i change carriers? what are the things i have to go through again when i use another carrier for my bb?
    Hi I am from the philippines. I might be ble to help you. You can pin me.

As long as your bold is unlocked you will be able to use it here. You will need to get a voice plan from either smart or globe and then add BIS. It takes 24 hours for bis to work but the voice plan takes a little longer, that is if you don't have it yet.
    07-15-09 06:53 AM
    Never use a BB with abroad.

She will think you are ignoring her.

07-15-09 03:47 PM
    Are you now back in the Philippines? Where in Saudi Arabia have you been? I'm currently in Saudi Arabia for a work assignment. Aren't you gonna be back anymore? Anyway, what's your pin?
    10-11-09 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD