I am looking at getting a BlackBerry Curve 8320 through t-mobile and just using the Wifi as a data connection. I was told that it isn't worth getting one without a BB data plan and that you can't use any 3rd party apps or do much with it on just wifi.

So I am trying to decide between the Curve or a T-Mobile Dash. The Blackberry has better hardware: a faster processor, trackball, 3.5mm headphone jack, non-proprietary USB port, longer battery life, and larger microSD support. But with the Dash it seems like you can use all the functions and 3rd party apps without a data plan.

All I really need it to do is calender/scheduling, web browsing, video/mp3 playback from the sd card, games, and possibly streaming radio stations. It would be cool to be able to also use some 3rd party apps but I could do without them.

With just wifi can I do all of the above things with the 8320? Will Opera mini also work? Or would I be better off with just a Dash if I don't have a data plan?
    06-09-09 09:54 PM
    well i don't have a data plan and I love my BB i just download apps and stuff through my comp. I have no doubt that it was a great decision to get a BB
    06-09-09 10:05 PM
    If you have a wifi connection 24/7 it sounds like you answered your own question. If wifi will be a problem take the data plan, but I'd choose your carrier carefully.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 10:06 PM
    06-09-09 10:09 PM
    I had a bb curve for almost 6 months before I got a data plan and I feel like it was definitely worth it. The calendar app, tasks, and the great QWERTY keypad def make the bb worth it. If you decide to add a data plan then you will really see the beauty of the bb.

06-10-09 12:22 AM
    Yes, it's worth it. I had my first BB (Curve 8300) for a year before I had a data plan. I loved it and I didn't even have wifi. Although once I got the unlimited plan I truly understood why it's called a CrackBerry. Either way it's a great phone, and if yours has wifi, go for it!
    06-10-09 12:58 AM
    Isn't T-Mobile requiring all new smartphone activations to have data plans now? If you are activating a new phone or upgrading you may want to check into that.

Aside from that, I had a Pearl for about 8 months without a data plan or even using Wifi but it was worth it. The calendar was hopeful in keeping track of appointments. I loved that I could make quick notes in memopad of things I needed to remember later. Even though it wasn't a full QWERTY keyboard it was still much easier to text on than normal phones. It is worth it with or without data.

06-10-09 01:33 AM
    If you have a wifi connection 24/7 it sounds like you answered your own question. If wifi will be a problem take the data plan, but I'd choose your carrier carefully.

Yeah....compare plans w/ carriers before you buy! And def get a data plan!!!

06-10-09 04:31 AM
    I am looking at getting a BlackBerry Curve 8320 through t-mobile and just using the Wifi as a data connection. I was told that it isn't worth getting one without a BB data plan and that you can't use any 3rd party apps or do much with it on just wifi.

So I am trying to decide between the Curve or a T-Mobile Dash. The Blackberry has better hardware: a faster processor, trackball, 3.5mm headphone jack, non-proprietary USB port, longer battery life, and larger microSD support. But with the Dash it seems like you can use all the functions and 3rd party apps without a data plan.

All I really need it to do is calender/scheduling, web browsing, video/mp3 playback from the sd card, games, and possibly streaming radio stations. It would be cool to be able to also use some 3rd party apps but I could do without them.

With just wifi can I do all of the above things with the 8320? Will Opera mini also work? Or would I be better off with just a Dash if I don't have a data plan?
    LISTEN, JUST GET THE BERRY!!!NO DATA PLAN IS LIKE GETTING THE CAR YOU WANT WITHOUT THE RIMS YOU DREAM OF..... THA BOSS
    06-10-09 05:20 AM
    Well a quick ? If u get a blackberry without a data plan then is it still called a blackberry because u can't axcess all of the features that a blackberry has to show. So just go ahead and get a moto razr its just a phone no smart phone

06-10-09 05:27 AM
    Well a quick ? If u get a blackberry without a data plan then is it still called a blackberry because u can't axcess all of the features that a blackberry has to show. So just go ahead and get a moto razr its just a phone no smart phone

Lmao... Yeah a razor2

06-10-09 05:45 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe
    that both VZW and US Cell require you to purchase the data plan with any smart phone.
    06-10-09 09:45 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe
    that both VZW and US Cell require you to purchase the data plan with any smart phone.
    The OP said they are looking at getting a T-Mobile Blackberry but from what I have heard as of June 2nd all new smartphone activations are required have a data plan added on.

06-10-09 11:08 AM
    Worth it or not, only you can answer that question, IMHO
    06-10-09 11:54 AM
    I know verizon and t-mobile require a data plan with any smartphone idk about at&t and some other carriers tho

06-10-09 08:10 PM
    Simply everything plan....can't go wrong

06-10-09 08:47 PM
    ugh u remind me of my students no offense though lol, i just like seeing a bb with data plans
    06-10-09 10:54 PM
    no. is it worth getting a ferrari to drive in bumper to bumper city traffic.
    06-11-09 02:25 AM
    The phone itself, to me, is superior to other phones, so I would say yes.

Problem is, that would be nothing but absolute torture to me. Having a phone with a ton of features that you're not even allowed to use? It would drive me crazy.
    06-11-09 03:01 AM
    I just dont understand the point of buying a smarthone/BB and no data plan..the BB is all about the data plan...I see alot of posts like: "i dont have a data plan but how can i browse the internet" "i want to use this app but i dont have a data plan" "can i tether my laptop for free?"..just doesnt make sense..you get what you pay for.

JC
    06-11-09 03:13 AM
    So I was able to get my daughter and wife a free Curve, but I'm not paying for data for them. If I'm also running a Curve with data, and if they aren't going to use any of the data features, why wouldn't I get them a Blackberry?

Music player, stereo headphones, full keyboard, swapable battery, no moving parts, etc...

The ONLY complaint I have so far is that my daughter would like to use AIM, and it's not working. I heard it was SMS based, and my step daughter is using it and doesn't have data on her Pearl, so I have to investigate a little...
    06-11-09 07:04 AM
    If you're going back and forth between the BB Curve and the Dash - go with the BB Curve. You won't regret it. I don't currently have a data plan for mine - I ended the data plan about a month ago. The Curve has done so much for me, and I didn't need to data plan to accomplish any of it. The Curve itself has replaced my iPod, and thick planner/address book. I love it! I will admit that having the data plan was nice - some reassurance for when I was lost, needed a phone number or address, or for online banking. It was worth the $20 extra a month. All in all, the phone is awesome with or without a data plan.
    06-19-09 06:50 PM
    I love bbm and you cannot use it without a data plan.

The way i look at it: would you buy a car and not pus gas in it??
    06-20-09 05:22 AM
    You can do so, but unless your just in love with the OS or style of the phone, then youre really paying for alot of features you cant utilize.
    06-20-09 11:06 AM

yeah you can do all that through wifi. Slacker works good through wifi. With t-mobile if you dont have a data plan you cant use data at all except wifi. With att you get charged for any data you use when not on wifi, so you have to turn off the att network to make sure you dont get charged for data everytime you use wifi. Just a little info if your selecting a carrier. Bolt is better than opera mini in my opinion.
    06-20-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD