Hi,

I am wondering who can help me! I have a 8900 on O2 UK with software v4.6.1.199 (platform 4.2.0.102) Every time i look on these forum this and that is out for 8900 with different software versions from different networks what is the latest software i can put on my 8900 with out KILLING IT!!!
    06-09-09 03:25 PM
    Simply put, most Official OS's will not KILL your device... and you can always go back to your carriers official OS... pick whatever you want.
    06-09-09 04:01 PM
    Yeah, I got .133 running on my O2 BB 8900... so slightly older.

I'm wondering what's the deal with upgrading as this is my first berry? Is it worth the leap to the latest and greatest? And will I have to reconfigure all my settings for the BIS etc?

Peace!
    06-09-09 04:09 PM
    u can backup u config with DM and i suggest u using 4.61.250. perfect
    06-09-09 04:49 PM
    4.6.1.250 is a great OS thus far, no issues here... use that if you can find it
    06-09-09 08:04 PM
    My 2 cents: Oh yes 4.61.250 is great, recently updated from 114 and now everything happens faster, good battery life, great UMA, Wi-Fi and pretty much all of my third party apps do work flawlessly, that been said only two things don't work anymore: Microsoft Live Messenger and BB Maps...if you can live without those is all good or maybe there will be a fix along the road. Good luck....
    06-09-09 10:23 PM
    Simply put, most Official OS's will not KILL your device... and you can always go back to your carriers official OS... pick whatever you want.
    I am clueless. I just got my 8900. Why would it not have the newest os and why are there so many. 8900s haven't been out all that long.
    06-09-09 10:31 PM
    I am clueless. I just got my 8900. Why would it not have the newest os and why are there so many. 8900s haven't been out all that long.
    hehehe ... sooooo much to learn you have!

The good news is that you are with AT&T and are running one of the newest official OS releases for the 8900.
    06-09-09 10:38 PM
    hehe....lynnpudas give it some time and you will become addicted too !!!!! then and only then everything will be clear......
    06-09-09 10:53 PM
    Late night update regarding my previous post, got the BB-Maps to work, yes it does work with the 4.6.1.250., M-Live messenger is another story, no big deal. LOL
    06-09-09 11:43 PM
    hehe....lynnpudas give it some time and you will become addicted too !!!!! then and only then everything will be clear......
    That is probably possibly true. I actually started with a bb curve 8310 and loved it. Unfortunately, the gps didn't work and the guy at at&t said it was the phone. So I returned it. I was afraid if that was a problem, what other problems did the phone have.

I ended up with bb curve 8900. I like it but themes, or at least free ones are few and far between. I had downoaded several from coolblackberrythemes.com and really liked them. I had the star trek one, ncis and another that I really liked. Aw well, they'll happen in time. If I could design one, I would.
    06-10-09 12:36 PM
    My 2 cents: Oh yes 4.61.250 is great, recently updated from 114 and now everything happens faster, good battery life, great UMA, Wi-Fi and pretty much all of my third party apps do work flawlessly, that been said only two things don't work anymore: Microsoft Live Messenger and BB Maps...if you can live without those is all good or maybe there will be a fix along the road. Good luck....
    1. install WLM again, it will work... mine works flawlessly

2. BBMap, whenever do an install of an OS (i know its a pain that this happens) but you need to turn on BBM, turn on GPS navigations, and then sit outside for about 10-20 mins with it trying to find satellites... it will work... trust me
    06-10-09 12:42 PM
    c_scheuer, thank you for the advice, will try that and get back 2 U....oh I am following you now. Have a great day.
    06-10-09 01:01 PM
    Now running .199 (latest O2 approved one) -- seems a good bit better than .113. And most of all, it's got the 2secs -> App Switcher shortcut which I've been wanting for a while
    06-10-09 01:44 PM
    Update: Deleted Live Messenger completely and downloaded OTA via BB-Browser, re-installed and it is working !!!!! so everything is working super smooth with the 4.6.1.250, all of my third party apps (a ton of them) and evreything else, great OS, at this point I would recommend it to everybody.
    P.D. c_sheuer, thank you for your advice.
    06-10-09 02:06 PM
    The reason it doesnt have the latest is cause when the phone was made and the OS was put on it was way before the latest build thats out, different carriers will sign off on different releases just depending on their taste, tmo might like a build better than att does...also you got leaked versions...well that explains itself, they are just leaked...
    06-10-09 04:52 PM
    Last night I downloaded 231 and deleted the vendor.xml file however all day today I had nothing but freezing and random phone resets.I then tried 250 and I got the same thing.I even tried deleting most of my free 3rd party apps and FB but it was still doing it.I went back to .114.I'm willing to give it another try but I'd like some input on what I may be doing wrong first.Besides battery life is there any other reason to update.I found 114 to be just as fast as the other two,if not faster.Thanks.
    06-10-09 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD