How Do You Charge Your Javelin To Go The Distance?
    (I know you like this metaphor. You can use it. It's okay lol)

I've noticed that the BlackBerry Curve 8900 charges VERY FAST. Usually takes me a couple of hours and then it tells me that it's fully charged. After doing this for a week however, I noticed that I only held a charge a little over a full day, and that's with limited use:
    - play some games
    - use a lot of BB Messenger (better than AIM), text and e-mail forwarding
    - little web surfing
    - and very little talk time (2 hrs/day MAX)
    **maybe a little more than limited use**

I wanted to increase the distance of my Javelin throw, so one day I decided to exhaust my BB. I had come off of a 2 minute phone call and my phone was on Low Battery (red battery symbol) around 5pm. Even after playing games the whole bus ride home (35 mins), +1hr phone call (though I just called my house and let it sit there - so I dunno if this really did anything) it didn't die til well after 10pm. Recording a video did the trick.

Unfortunately, I had too late come across some information stating that with Lithium batteries should not be allowed to be fully drained, something about damaging the battery.

I'd only done that once, and I let it charge past when it said it was fully charged (+6hrs). Since then I've had a battery life no less than 2 days. I use pretty much 35 - 40% a day. I'm not endorsing draining your battery til it dies, but charging it past when it says it's done (~6hrs) may give you longer life, but I wanna hear from you guys about how you wind up the toss for your Javelin throw.
    06-09-09 11:04 AM
    You should be fine but don't make it a habit of draining the Li-Ion batteries all the way down, it is not good for them. A good practice is to charge the phone every night while you are sleeping. I have a charging cradle that I charge my device on every night. As an added bonus, I get a bedside clock and it is easier to turn my alarm off in the morning.
    06-09-09 11:08 AM
    My 8900 stays charged. I have the charge dock @ home. I have a car charger in the car. I have a data cable @ work. I top my 8900 off regularly. I've noticed that my battery life changes depending on what theme i'm using. The current theme I use has given me good battery life. Yeah, I do charge every day, and often considering how much it vibrates due to texts, IMs, other alerts, etc.
    06-09-09 11:11 AM
    You should be fine but don't make it a habit of draining the Li-Ion batteries all the way down, it is not good for them. A good practice is to charge the phone every night while you are sleeping. I have a charging cradle that I charge my device on every night. As an added bonus, I get a bedside clock and it is easier to turn my alarm off in the morning.
    easier snooze button..lol.
    06-09-09 11:12 AM
    easier snooze button..lol.
    You know it!!!
    06-09-09 11:13 AM
    i charge mine for 4-6 hours till its fully charged (have a car charger just in casE) but usually i dont need it. when i dont use it i out it in standby mode. as reggietee stated using a certain theme could drain your battery as well.
    06-09-09 11:15 AM
    Check out this thread I started yesterday. It's somewhat on the same page as what you're looking for
    06-09-09 11:36 AM
    I'm wondering if charging it everyday even when it's not close to dying is doing it any good, especially since charging it before I go to sleep every night would mean charging it when it's only at about 30% or so and charging it for more than 6 hours, more than is needed to be fully charged. Wouldn't I lose more power on the battery quicker overtime? Lemme know.

Question is this: Can you "over charge" a lithium ion battery? What happens when you keep charging it even after it's fully charged? Does it stop charging? Does it begin to drain?
    Last edited by dmurder7; 06-09-09 at 01:21 PM.
    06-09-09 01:18 PM
    I'm wondering if charging it everyday even when it's not close to dying is doing it any good, especially since charging it before I go to sleep every night would mean charging it when it's at about 30% or so for more than 6 hours. Would I lose power on the battery more quickly overtime? Lemme know.
    No, with Li-Ion batteries it is ideal to charge them early and often. There is a charging circuit in the battery that prevents it from being damaged by overcharging.
    06-09-09 01:21 PM
    I just charge it overnight. I don't make a big issue out of it.
    06-09-09 01:26 PM
    im charging my 8900 for the first time, and it hasbeen charging for an hour..it still has not come when ive tried to switch it on.. but the red light keeps flashing for about 20 seconds and turns off and back on regular intervals..is this normal?
    06-29-09 12:14 AM
    im charging my 8900 for the first time, and it hasbeen charging for an hour..it still has not come when ive tried to switch it on.. but the red light keeps flashing for about 20 seconds and turns off and back on regular intervals..is this normal?
    The instructions that should have came with your Blackberry say to charge it for about 12 hours the 1st few times you charge it.
    06-29-09 02:15 AM
    You cannot overcharge the Li-Ion battery. It's pretty smart and knows when it is done charging and just stops accepting the power..

And yes, as most have said, it is good to keep an Li-Ion fully charged..
    06-29-09 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD