I'm having alot of trouble with my GPS. I go to Settings>Advanced Options>GPS and then hit the menu button and click refresh and it always fails. I have geotagging enabled in my camera settings and the GPS never finds my position to say where the picture is being taken. On my weatherbug app it can never find my position via gps, I always have to manually enter my location with a zip code. I've done a battery pull and it hasnt fixed the problem. Any one else having this problem or suggestions?
    06-07-09 10:11 PM
    Are you outside when you try to get a signal? Mine usually takes a good 1-2 minutes to get initial position once i'm outside.
    06-07-09 10:28 PM
    u dont need line of sight. for example i've been inside my house and gotten my location by gps just fine. weather does affect it a lot. so does having lots of tall building around. the gps receiver in a phone is not as capable as one in a stand alone gps unit, but it usually manages just fine. i just tried the gps refreshing thing while im making this post and i got my location within 5 seconds.
    Last edited by avmsam; 06-07-09 at 10:36 PM.
    06-07-09 10:31 PM
    Yesterday when I tried it I was on the balcony of a friends apartment on the 21st floor...It couldn't find me...
    06-08-09 12:16 AM
    It's taken up to 5 mins to find my 8900 before. Need to be in an open area outside without tall buildings or any other obstacles. After that you should be fine. Usually can find me inside houses and when I'm driving I have it on my central console between the front seats and BBMaps will be connected to 7+ satellites.
    06-08-09 06:06 AM
    GPS satellite has weak signal to be received with barrier such as building, trees etc. better to get the GPS signal outdoor then you can bring it to you indoor. your gps software will calculate how much movement did you have.

As far i know there are 24 GPS Satellites around the world, at least you have to find 3 to get your position.
    06-08-09 06:30 AM
    The first time it tries to find you, you have to be in an open area outside. Older versions of the OS take can take 5 minutes or more to locate you. This problem was solved with 4.6.0.231, so if you want better GPS, upgrade your OS to .231 or higher.
    06-08-09 09:43 AM
    yeah... you need to be out in the open with a clear line of sight to satellites.... for the initial setup... then inside some building it will work.
    06-08-09 09:51 AM
    I had to test mine to see what it would do. I was standing on the porch on the west end of my house and opened Google Maps. It said it was waiting on the GPS for about 30 seconds, then it homed in on it. It said it was accurate within 5 meters. I changed to Satellite view and zoomed in as far as I could go, and the blue dot was right on the end of my house. I was amazed at the accuracy! I then walked out the driveway the road and it followed me to the interesction of the driveway and the road.
    06-08-09 12:44 PM
    Oh yeah... it is pretty accurate!!
    06-08-09 12:45 PM
    Occasionally my GPS stops working, and I need to do a battery pull to get it going again. After that, it locks on fairly quickly.
    06-08-09 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD