People talk about the beauty of the Pre's screen, the amazing'ness of WebOS and the crampy'ness of the keyboard...HOWEVER; not too many people have touched on the battery life of it.

For those who ACTUALLY OWN a Pre; and who have owned and used the Pre for a full day or two by now...how is the battery life?? Please be as detailed, objective and honest with the feedback on the battery life of it.

OVERALL I have heard the battery life is weak on the Pre; however I don't know how much/what kind of use'age this claim of a weak battery life is coming from.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Swoopster; 06-07-09 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Typo on thread title
    06-07-09 05:44 PM
    It sucks im taking my phone back probably because of this. going back to my bb.
    06-07-09 08:29 PM
    It's not the best, but the battery is changeable. Not sure if it's any better than my Bold. I don't use it as a phone/sms, only data and navigation.
    06-07-09 11:29 PM
    I posted elsewhere about this. The battery life is not good at all. For example, my curve needs a charge at the end of a day of very heavy usage, including bluetooth and internet usage. The Pre, without the use of bluetooth, was almost dead at the end of a short day. It was a weekend, not heavy usage and I didn't keep more than one app open at a time. After about 9 hours my Pre went from 100% power to 15% which forced me to stop using it so if I got a call I could receive it. Overall, I was dissatisfied.
    06-08-09 09:57 PM
    It's not the best, but the battery is changeable. Not sure if it's any better than my Bold. I don't use it as a phone/sms, only data and navigation.
    Definitely verified that it's no where near my Bold with a full day with both devices, both fully charged.
    06-09-09 02:00 AM
    Wow... Less battery life than the bold with 3G? Wow... That's lame. LOL. Well, it's a neat looking phone, and I'm sure that if I only used it only as a phone it would be awesome, cuz of its small form factor, and neat slider mechanism... But still... I need a POWER phone :P ANY Blackberry!
    06-09-09 03:00 AM
    i have a pre and @ first the batt did go dead quick but i went into the options and there where a couple things that where on that i didnt need that where killing the batt like i use my gps but when i was done usein it it stayed on so i changed the opton so when i was done useing it it was off the other was my email it was set 2 check every 10 mins so i changed that as well and the other was wifi if i was somewhere that didnt have it and it was on it would kill it as well so i turn it off when im not around any wifi after doing that the life of the batt is better i go to work @ 8:00am get home @ 7:00pm and still have 35-40% batt left thats with heavy useage like texting,email, playing music and phone calls so anyone out there with i hope this helps you get more life out of your batt
    06-09-09 03:54 AM
    I posted elsewhere about this. The battery life is not good at all. For example, my curve needs a charge at the end of a day of very heavy usage, including bluetooth and internet usage. The Pre, without the use of bluetooth, was almost dead at the end of a short day. It was a weekend, not heavy usage and I didn't keep more than one app open at a time. After about 9 hours my Pre went from 100% power to 15% which forced me to stop using it so if I got a call I could receive it. Overall, I was dissatisfied.
    [QUOTE=Duvi]

i have a pre and @ first the batt did go dead quick but i went into the options and there where a couple things that where on that i didnt need that where killing the batt like i use my gps but when i was done usein it it stayed on so i changed the opton so when i was done useing it it was off the other was my email it was set 2 check every 10 mins so i changed that as well and the other was wifi if i was somewhere that didnt have it and it was on it would kill it as well so i turn it off when im not around any wifi after doing that the life of the batt is better i go to work @ 8:00am get home @ 7:00pm and still have 35-40% batt left thats with heavy useage like texting,email, playing music and phone calls so anyone out there with i hope this helps you get more life out of your batt
    To everyone; particularly those quoted above...your objective and honest input is appreciated.

Now let me ask this for those that have; or have had an iPhone compared to the Pre...which one has better battery life with comparable use? The iPhone or the Pre?

I've heard the Sprint/Wal-Mart/Radioshack/Best Buy stores won't be receiving a replenished stock of Pre's until (4) weeks from now.
    Last edited by Swoopster; 06-09-09 at 02:39 PM.
    06-09-09 02:37 PM
    Battery life stinks initially - no doubt about it. However, seidio extended battery will help and also the idea behind the touchstone is hassle-free charging so you just set it down on your desk in between use. If I decide to keep the Pre, i'll get a touchstone for work and possibly home and never have issues with battery life i'm sure. Also I believe Palm has lots of room to optimize it. I will say this, using wifi is very efficient tho as it is, which helps a lot. They just need to tweak things and the radio power output.
    06-09-09 10:21 PM
    i got to play with one most of the day today and when all said and done, whole days of browsing taking pictures and texting, there was about 30% battery life left. but with a few fixes here and there like not having email checks all the time and like every 15 minutes and keeping wifi off will help battery life.. i have the pearl currently and thinking about making the switch and the battery life i would say is about the same... BUT again in future updates there should be fixes which would improve battery life and there will be companies that will have extended life batteries. battery life is should not be a deal breaker here.
    06-09-09 11:06 PM
    So, basically in a nutshell you had to turn off most (if not all) of the features that likely attracted you to the device in the first place?
    06-09-09 11:29 PM
    That's the issue I have now... making adjustments to increase battery power. I don't remember to do all those things and even if I do, I don't want to make these adjustments.
    06-09-09 11:31 PM

To everyone; particularly those quoted above...your objective and honest input is appreciated.

Now let me ask this for those that have; or have had an iPhone compared to the Pre...which one has better battery life with comparable use? The iPhone or the Pre?

I've heard the Sprint/Wal-Mart/Radioshack/Best Buy stores won't be receiving a replenished stock of Pre's until (4) weeks from now.

Not sure, haven't used my iPhone in quite some time (selling it), but I believe compared to the new 3G (S), the iPhone will soar above the Pre.

I also take into account a couple of things...

The iPhone has a bigger screen. Also it has a virtual keyboard rather than a physical which also uses more battery power.
    06-09-09 11:35 PM
    The battery life is very poor. I did 1/4 of what I do on my instinct and the battery was almost drained. I guess its the wifi and gps but I wasn't even using my phone and it went from 94% to 92% in a matter of 5-10 minutes. Also if your battery goes completely dead you have to sync your phone to your computer... I'm not sure why but that is the only way you can get it to turn back on so if you're staying at someones house or on vacation and your phone dies you're out of luck and a phone till you get home :/
    06-10-09 05:15 PM
    I played around with my friends pre the other day and I loved it. Browsing is so much better rendering sites when scrolling up and down and not having the annoying grey block sitting there for a few seconds. Battery life I have heard is low but so is the iphones battery from what I heard from my friend who is an adv id mac user/iphone user. It sucks that you have to turn of the gps and wifi to hold the battery but what about the bb and all the leaked os. My storm has battery leak, the os is a shrunken os version, gps is turned off, all misc apps deleted. so I dont see how this is any different then needing to turn off features on the pre. my friend iphone he turns off the wifi when not needed to save battery life on his phone. I have had the bb pearl and got rid of it in 3 months and bought the storm a year later saying I will give bb another try, had this for 4 months and cant wait to sell it. Very disappointed with the bb first touchscreen, and rims support. If pre was on verizon now I would jump ship in a heart beat. I know I will be one to switch to the pre in Jan if it comes out then. stepping of the soap box now..

Just my .02
    06-15-09 03:48 PM
    Battery life on my Pre is just fine.. i get almost a full days worth with moderate use..

For those people that have really bad battery drain (so did/does Storm!!!) the same solution to help your Storm Battery helps this battery...

You need to "RE-CALIBRATE" your phones meter.. not the battery itself.. but the phones battery meter. Drain your phone and then put it on charger for about 10 hours.. should help a lot.

Also currently there is an issue with hotmail... take it off your phone.. just use gmail's "get mail from other account" feature.

And just like the storm if you are in an area with a weak signal.. the phone works harder to get a signal and drains it quickly.

Just re-calibrate your phones battery and see how it goes.
    06-16-09 01:20 PM
    Over all i love the pre... The battery life isnt the greatest... I did turn off the gps and wifi and that helped... I see no reason to have it turned on when im stuck at work for 8 hours...so gps is not needed and there is no wifi at my job so dont need that either. Yesterday I unplugged my phone at 815 am to leave for work and by the time i got home at 745 pm i had about 30% battery life left. And that was with a lot of texting and web surfing and a few calls no long calls but just normal 5 min calls... Im sure future updates will fix the battery problem and companies will make extended life batterys. To me the only problem with the phone is that its not a blackberry. If i was coming from a dumb phone this phone would be the $hit... but to me its just not a blackberry...and thats not a knock on the phone its just how i feel about it. Im returning mine today and going back to my pearl and im gonna count the days till the 9630 comes out!!!
    Last edited by wortez; 06-16-09 at 03:30 PM.
    06-16-09 03:25 PM
    A new update is coming within two weeks (or sooner) to fix battery and other issues. Go read @ precentral.net

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 03:29 AM
    A new update is coming within two weeks (or sooner) to fix battery and other issues. Go read @ precentral.net

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    cant seem to find the post, would you happen to have a link or know what thread it was.
    06-17-09 10:19 AM
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-knows...within-60-days

Along with this fix there are going to be a LOT of small updates..

They are listening!!
    06-17-09 10:23 AM
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-knows...within-60-days

Along with this fix there are going to be a LOT of small updates..

They are listening!!
    thats good CS
    06-17-09 11:47 AM
    I purchased my Pre today and pretty much used it until the phone shutdown on me now (10:45 est) because the battery died...since I hadn't had the chance to charge it ever since I made the purchase at lunchtime today.

Now when I hook the Pre up to the wall charger to charge the phone; or hook it up to my laptop to charge...the screen comes on and stays on with the icon of a battery with a lightning bolt in the middle of it (with a red bar at the bottom of the battery icon).

1.) Is the screen supposed to stay on when it's charging?
    2.) If it is supposed to stay on when charging; is it supposed to show the progress?

Please help with any advice/input; thanks.
    06-17-09 10:02 PM
    Patrick that was what I was saying about no matter how long you charge the phone it will not charge or come on, you have to hook it up to a computer for up to 20 minutes before it will turn on and let you charge the phone.

I purchased my Pre today and pretty much used it until the phone shutdown on me now (10:45 est) because the battery died...since I hadn't had the chance to charge it ever since I made the purchase at lunchtime today.

Now when I hook the Pre up to the wall charger to charge the phone; or hook it up to my laptop to charge...the screen comes on and stays on with the icon of a battery with a lightning bolt in the middle of it (with a red bar at the bottom of the battery icon).

1.) Is the screen supposed to stay on when it's charging?
    2.) If it is supposed to stay on when charging; is it supposed to show the progress?

Please help with any advice/input; thanks.
    06-18-09 03:27 AM
    I have spent a week with the Pre, and I have to say, my battery life is not bad at all. Granted I do have signal issues, but despite that i am still getting though a nine hour work day with over 70% of my battery remaining. I have my e-mail pushed though Google and wi-fi on when i have a network. Granted, I don't talk on it a lot, but the rest of its features get used without a second thought. Pretty impressive to me considering it is a 1.0 phone.
    06-18-09 04:50 AM
    IMO from the amount of time i messed around with it and hearinf from my friends, the keyboard is to small and the battery life is horrible. My friend switched some settings were he enabled something to work over wifi and it seemed to last longer.
    06-24-09 02:41 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD