Having used both the 8900 and the 8320, I am excited to see how this device would do.

The optical trackpad seems that it would solve the trackball problems, However, the lack of Wi-Fi and GPS, I do not know what to say.

Who here would be getting the 8520?
    06-06-09 07:03 PM
    I doubt any of us here would be buying an 8520 as our primary device. Its basically an entry level device kind of like the Pearl. Both are great devices but they're "steeping stones" in our mobile lives... lol
    06-07-09 01:05 AM
    Having used both the 8900 and the 8320, I am excited to see how this device would do.

The optical trackpad seems that it would solve the trackball problems, However, the lack of Wi-Fi and GPS, I do not know what to say.

Who here would be getting the 8520?
    The 8520 does have Wifi.
    06-07-09 10:20 AM
    I will wait to get the tour. Ibelieve that this berry is in fact a step back. I use the 8330 for business and iit is looking like the 8520 is really a phone for people that are just starting to use a berry. I will get my girlfriend one to replace the 8130 that she has. Me on the other hand, I need the bigger and better one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 10:27 AM
    It might be a cool lil backup phone.

06-07-09 11:10 AM
    I'm thinking of getting it just as a back up if it's priced right
    06-15-09 08:13 PM
    it doesnt seem to be anything special

no flash on the camera what the hell?
    06-15-09 11:17 PM
    Its been said but seriously this phone is for entry level users. Think Pearl but with full qwerty keyboard. This is a phone RIM needs to compete with a 99 dollar iphone pricepoint.

If this phone goes a prepaid route it could see excellent sales...plenty of people want a nice phone sans contract and this would be it in my eyes

06-16-09 01:11 AM
    will not get this unless i got it for free w/o contract
    basically like winning a raffle
    alrdy have an 8800 as backup
    will move from curve to driftwood when it gets out
    06-19-09 01:38 PM
    I would consider it as a backup phone.. with wi-fi thats kind of hot..
    06-20-09 03:33 AM
    They are all basically the same device. Nothing new from RIM this year.
    06-20-09 09:49 AM
    I might get the 8520 if its cheap enough

and also carries wifi and other goodies

might not get a data plan with it
    06-22-09 09:01 PM
    no comparison needed, they're in different categories.

8320 - outdated and been replaced
    8900 - new and what its all about
    8520 - new but geared towards low end/budget consciout market.
    06-23-09 03:34 AM
    I will wait to get the tour. Ibelieve that this berry is in fact a step back. I use the 8330 for business and iit is looking like the 8520 is really a phone for people that are just starting to use a berry. I will get my girlfriend one to replace the 8130 that she has. Me on the other hand, I need the bigger and better one.

The 8520 is not an option for you since it'll be a GSM device. The Tour is a great option thou, or the Storm or Curve (8330) if you need it now.
    06-23-09 09:35 AM
    It seems that RIM wanted to produce a lower end phone, but I'm not sure why the 8520 was what they had come up with. Not offering GPS is a mistake. Even lower end flip phones have GPS capability now. Not having this feature puts them back a few years. Even the Pearl had GPS. Again, RIM comes out with another non-3G device. This is baffling. Also, the camera doesn't have a flash when all of the BB camera devices have a flash. You can get a BB Curve 8320 and 8330 that have more capabilities for this phone for $49 or less. Why would anyone buy it? Even the resolution isn't on par with the new BBs that have come out in the last year. Im a BB user for life, but this device doesn't seem to fit the logical progression we have come to expect from RIM.
    07-01-09 06:02 PM
    It seems that RIM wanted to produce a lower end phone, but I'm not sure why the 8520 was what they had come up with. Not offering GPS is a mistake. Even lower end flip phones have GPS capability now. Not having this feature puts them back a few years. Even the Pearl had GPS. Again, RIM comes out with another non-3G device. This is baffling. Also, the camera doesn't have a flash when all of the BB camera devices have a flash. You can get a BB Curve 8320 and 8330 that have more capabilities for this phone for $49 or less. Why would anyone buy it? Even the resolution isn't on par with the new BBs that have come out in the last year. Im a BB user for life, but this device doesn't seem to fit the logical progression we have come to expect from RIM.

Agreed. I can understand that RIM wants to introduce a lower-end device perhaps for younger people or as a first 'berry, although it doesn't make sense that they are using the same technology that was used many years ago. Apple iPods progress and progress, and get cheaper and cheaper. When the first ever iPod came out, it was only 5GB and was massive, monochrome screen and cost well over $500. Now you can get an iPod Touch that does everything sans phone for as low as $229. What's going on RIM? Are we progressing or are we stuck behind, just slapping on a new OS? I definitely expect more from RIM, especially now with how cheap it must be to produce these berries because really, there is no expensive feature.
    Although, I might get the 8520 as a backup berry .. only if I get it for free or if it costs less than $100
    07-03-09 12:07 AM
    I was thinking that since we have seen a couple models change a little bit prior to production whether it is adding a track pad (Onyx) or simply changing the battery cover (Tour) it could be that there will be an addition to this phone before it is actually released. Maybe GPS or even 3G.

We know this phone will also be available in CDMA (per Kevin's blog post last week)and I can't imagine that Sprint or Verizon would put a non EVDO phone out there at this point. Nor can I see them putting a phone out there that can't use their GPS services...specifically Verizon. No way they would put a phone out that is lacking an option (GPS) that could make them more money.
    07-06-09 12:53 PM
    Well as a direct Curve replacement Its going to be more powerful! But its not going to rival RIMs top handsets.

In my opinion RIM is positioning the Curve to go after the consumer market more than ever, sales have been showing people want a full quality qwerty phone at a cheap price.

Also, I do believe the 8300s aren't getting 5.0 while this is so that there is a reason why this is better. This meant to be a cheap phone, if you want a powerhouse berry they have the Bold 8900 9530 9630 to fit everything one would want.
    You make sacrifices when your targeting a cheaper audience who will most likely buy it just for hardcore texting. I vaguely use the GPS on my Storm and if that is such a concern there are much better offerings than any phone has.

I assume once LTE takes off we'll see 2G be discontinued and 3G be for the bargin bin phones

07-06-09 01:23 PM
    it has to be bloody cheap w/o contract for me to buy it.
    I think I'll move on from my 8820 to an 8900. And that's only because RIM had stopped the development of OSs, for the 8820 (correct me if I'm mistaken please).
    Not really feelin the Bold, its too big for me.
    But, if the Onyx is out before the end of the year, I'll go for that instead.
    Btw I got an 8320 as back up phone.
    07-15-09 04:54 AM
    RIM will not canabalize its sales of a Tour and/or Onyx to put out a fully featured entry level device. Like it's been said, the 8520 will be the one to bring people to BlackBerry. When it's time I'll upgrade to a Tour or whatever is available in an uplevel platform.
    07-25-09 01:49 PM
    Love my 8900! The more variety of devices, the better. With so many devices, there's a BB out there for everyone.

07-25-09 09:16 PM
    stick with the 8900, trust me

07-26-09 03:53 AM
    You see this phone from an AT&T perspective, when in fact RIM counts on Tmo picking this up as their 3G service is not nationwide, therefore Tmo user's won't really notice.
    Do I like the phone: NO
    Do I think the trackpad is nifty: Yes
    07-26-09 09:17 PM
    I was whining about my 8900 a bit ago on another thread, but I must admit, its GPS feature is impressive. I gave it test run in June and I was amazed by how fast it was. And the screen is a knockout. Perhaps I should be talking to TMo about a replacement, instead of stepping back in time by getting another 8320.
    08-05-09 04:57 PM
    no comparison needed, they're in different categories.

8320 - outdated and been replaced
    8900 - new and what its all about
    8520 - new but geared towards low end/budget consciout market.
    Totally. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my 8900!
    08-05-09 06:12 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD