I tried to upgrade to a hybrid version of .148/5.0 and when I did that. I lost ALL sounds.

What I am trying to do now is get back to the official .148 version. And have all my sounds / contacts back. With no luck. I even tried a swipe & reload of just the official version. And there weren't any sounds there as well.

I'm at a loss. Right now I am sitting with the .148 / 5.0 hybrid on my phone. With no alert / ringtones. I just need to get the default ones back!
    06-05-09 02:10 PM
    Are the files there for the sounds or is everything just silent?
    06-05-09 02:13 PM
    No files what-so-ever.

I'm starting from scratch now. I just uninstalled EVERYTHING on my PC. And am re-downloading the .148 software. And am going to try this. For some reason I think I ran "shrink-a-OS" and that's what deleted everything. I don't remember checking the box for it, but I noticed it is checked by default now, so who knows.. I'll report back in like 20 minutes. Wish me luck!
    06-05-09 02:21 PM
    Yeah that's what happened to me. I accidently checked 'Default ringtones' in Shrink-an-OS.
    06-05-09 02:52 PM
    Okay. I just uninstalled everything on the PC. And just installed the .148 OS.. And it still doesn't have ANY sounds.. I'm at a loss at what to do!??!
    06-05-09 03:03 PM
    I've got the same problem...
    06-29-09 12:17 PM
    check sound profiles and make sure your not set to silent for some reason.
    06-29-09 12:46 PM
    Okay, I got my ringtones back. Please be aware this is on a Pearl 8230 (4.6.1), I'd expect similar results on any RIM device. I did a crapton of stuff in trying to get it working...will try to list in order of action:

- Battery pull
    - Wipe device and reload using CrackMem
    - Uninstall/reinstall BB software on desktop, then wipe device and reload using CrackMem
    - Battery pull
    - Reset IT Policy using CrackUtil
    - Wipe Device File System using CrackUtil
    - Wipe Device Applications using CrackUtil (phone is bricked here)
    - Load software using CrackMem
    - Battery pull
    - Force net_rim_bb_medialoader_qualcomm.cod (COD containing ringtones. This file varies from phone to phone. You can find the right one for your phone by opening the COD file you suspect in Wordpad and searching for "file name". If it is the right file, you should see the various ringtones) onto the phone using javaloader. I should have been able to do this with CrackUtil, but didn't want to work so I had to do it from the command line.
    - Battery pull -SUCCESS-

I have a feeling that the last two steps are what really got the ringtones back, but I don't know for sure. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Aegwyn11; 06-29-09 at 02:50 PM. Reason: More detail
    06-29-09 02:45 PM
    Can somone help us non tech people. I did a backup and found out that all of my sounds/tones were gone. How can I restore the default sounds. Please make it simple. Thanks
    10-03-11 07:55 PM
    check sound profiles and make sure your not set to silent for some reason.
    Yes, sometimes need to check it
    02-05-12 03:23 AM
    Lost all default tones on my Torch 9850/OS 7 the other day.

Fix action:

Utilizing BBSAK

Download and Install the current OS for your device model to your PC

Open BBSAK

Select Modify COD's tab.

Click Install COD

Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\(current device latest OS folder)\Java

In the search bar type: ringtones

**The two files that should come up are net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x800_01a_t.cod and net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x800_01b_t***

Yes both files are named the same but they are two different sizes.

Double click one of the files and wait til BBSAK tells you "installed COD file successfully."
    Repeat the steps and select the other file, then wait again for the completion message.

Once complete disconnect your device and open Ringtones and Alerts found in the Applications Menu. Wait for your device to re-read your SD Card and Device Memory. (See progress bar across the bottom of your screen).

Once that is complete if you don't see the individual categories populate exit and re-enter Ringtones and Alerts. I found 9 Ringtones, 9 Notifier Tones, 9 Reminder Tones, and 5 Alarm Tones. (These are the defaults for OS 7)

Walaa!!! Default Ringtones restored. (NO NEED TO WIPE YOUR DEVICE)

Hope this helps!!! Good night all, and happy Crackberrying!!!!
    samjuan likes this.
    03-13-12 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD