I am sorry if this has been posted. I am a total BB noob. I went from an LG ENV to a BB 2 months ago. I am already on my SECOND storm, but after finding this forum I am in LOOOOOVE with it. I am waiting for Verizon to call me back to possibly fix the issue but I think here is the best place to find the info I need. Here is my issue...

Last night after finally having my storm exactly how I want it I installed the update through the DM...only took a few minutes (which Verizon said it should have taken longer)
    Now my contacts are missing. I searched the forum and tried the tips to read my SIM phonebook. No Dice.
    I also have a green light blinkiing 24/7. I have nothing set to blink through berry buzz so not sure what is going on.
    Also i set up my email through the wizard, shows its there but I can't send an email, only receive...its says no message service configured..WTF?
    Also it wont let me seperate my email ICON through the options menu.
    ALso my sound profiles no longer have the option to set to ACTIVE PROFILE when setting certain tones to ring for certain notifications. only get the option for silent or 1-10.
    When I set the profiles for text and such to a certain ring, when I get a message the tone doesnt work.
    I am at a loss. I backedup my storm but the backup file doesnt even have my contacts in it any longer...now I could have messed up backing up so if that is the case how do I fix this? It says I am running .148 and there are no updates. I wish I had not updated my storm...I JUST had it to where it was perfect
    The ringtone for a phone call seems to be working...but my storm is SLOWER than it was before the upgrade.
    06-05-09 11:06 AM
    Mine too is slow, glitchy, occassionally a partially hung up screen, generally a little slower, and the BATTERY LIFE IS HORRIBLE. I was a big proponent and defender of this phone but it just seems to be getting to be to much work at this point.
    06-05-09 11:36 AM
    How was it before the upgrade? I am sure had I known about this site I could have asked and someone would have known how to fix it instead of get a new one.

I just got off the phone with Verizon tech support and I "think" they helped me fixed it. My contacts are still missing, so off to the verizon store I go at lunch.

The email setting was something to do with the host routing table?? The LED was the due to a coverage indicator which I just turned off (duh, I feel stoopid on that one) But the touch screen seems slower to respond. I like the "go" button on the keyboard when on the brower though.

All in all I like the phone. I used the pedometer to track how many miles I walked on my lunch, while listening to music, doing online banking, and returning emails...all on my hour lunch. Just seems that when something goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong.
    06-05-09 11:56 AM
    Hello first thing, ha ve you guys done a bat pull?

As for your contacts jen, did you back up your storm before you upgraded?
    06-05-09 12:02 PM
    Yup, did the battery pull...a few times, lol. I am going to do another one here in a minute after talking to verizon and having the email issue fixed. I "thought" I backed it up, but I think I did something wrong..note to self 11:30 at night after a glass of wine, not the best time to try and play with your phone

Right now the issues seem to be fixed except that when I get a text and the the box pops up (I have aerize alerts) to open or ok...the screen is not highlighting the "open" box. Like it doesnt feel my finger. Still a little slow going from screen to screen too but I am wondering if that is my theme causing that.

Edited to add...

Anyone know if part of the upgrade for .148 was to no longer have the "set to active profile" option for the volume of your diffrent alerts???
    Last edited by jennpren; 06-05-09 at 12:27 PM.
    06-05-09 12:24 PM
    I bet I know why your Storm is soo slow.

1. You have too many Apps RUNNING!
    Shut everything down, maybe have 1 or 2 apps MAX running at any given time. Make sure you close things properly (BB Menu, exit/close).

2. Plus, get all your icons off the Main Screen. Move them into folders - I did this the first day I got the phone. I have 1 row of icons on the "today screen" (portrait mode) and 4 rows of icons on "landscape" view.

3. Lastly, download and install QuickPull. Have it run each morning to do a simulated battery pull (I do mine at 3am, when I'm asleep).
    When I wake up, it's fresh and ready to go. I NEVER have the need to do a battery pull during the day now.
    06-05-09 12:34 PM
    I have quickpull from reading this forum the last few weeks trying to have a come to jesus about my BB

I did not know you could schedule it to run each day, I just set it, thanks for the tip!

Now I hit the BB button from the main menu and what comes up is my contacts, weather, home screen, phone, bb messenger, messages, and browser. Are these all open? I keep reading conflicting threads on this. Are these running? or just recently used? What can be closed and what just runs regardless? I dont use the bb messenger ever.

I have my SMS/MMS, email, media, messages and weather icons on the home screen and everything else is in the application, games, downloads, or setup folder. Is that "clean" enough?
    06-05-09 12:44 PM
    Okay, that's good. Running Quickpull daily is the key.
    The 5 basic you mentioned (phone, messages, browser, phone, home) are always on.
    So it sounds like you're only running 1 other app, which should be fine..although I've never used the Weather app, so I can't comment on that.

Some apps do use a lot more resources than others. From personal experience, I can tell you I ran the Google Sync App (to sync calendar entries) which ran in the background. I deleted this program after a few days, b/c it was lagging my phone pretty bad.
    Keep in mind programs like this don't show up when holding down BB menu. So it's possible you have something else requiring Data Connection that's installed, but not actively running? These still use data.

Let me know if this helps. The less apps/programs you have installed on your BB, the better. I go through trials and install one at a time, to find out what works well, and what doesn't.
    Good luck!

I have quickpull from reading this forum the last few weeks trying to have a come to jesus about my BB

I did not know you could schedule it to run each day, I just set it, thanks for the tip!

Now I hit the BB button from the main menu and what comes up is my contacts, weather, home screen, phone, bb messenger, messages, and browser. Are these all open? I keep reading conflicting threads on this. Are these running? or just recently used? What can be closed and what just runs regardless? I dont use the bb messenger ever.

I have my SMS/MMS, email, media, messages and weather icons on the home screen and everything else is in the application, games, downloads, or setup folder. Is that "clean" enough?
    Last edited by amojeba; 06-05-09 at 12:56 PM. Reason: EDIT: Sorry the 5th one that runs is BBM. Yes, that's always on. Neither of these 5 can ever be shut off.
    06-05-09 12:49 PM
    Thank you so much for your help!!!!

It was faster yesterday. I have three themes on it and a bit of music (but i thought the music/wall paper/photos were on my memory card) When I spoke to the verizon tech she said I had 25 of free memory. I have NO idea about what is good memory, or what is bad, what clogs it up and what doesnt.

I have quite a few downloads like the level, pool shark, tiltris, sexy dice, coin toss, extra light, app world, quick pull, berry buzz, face book, yahoo messenger and VZ navigator (I KNOW this takes a lot of space, but I am a total chick and use it ALL the time to find my way!!!) v cast music(although I dont use this..i dont think...I downloaded a few ITUNES lists using the DM)

Should I delete some of these? Do the little free programs take up a lot of space?
    06-05-09 12:59 PM
    So I am on my 6th replacement phone in 3 weeks. Yes I have had to do all the crap with setting up a new phone and I know more that the verizon tech at the store.

on .75 my email was all over the place with delivery times so verizon sent:

Phone #1 Screen did not click
    Phone #2 Could get clock to sync with network

Phone #3 BRAND NEW PHONE cracked case right out of the box

Phone #4 Went to verizon store and they gave me a refurb. Did not work
    well with .148 and was sent back for phone #5

Phone #5 I was given a case number for support at RIM, real support. They are great and know what they are talking about. The Issue was that the phone would not come back to life after the screen went off until you pushed down on ti for 10 seconds. After that it was fine. If you holstered the phone, the screen would come back but you had to hold down keys for lengths of time. Sucked. So then sent me another.

Phone #6 Same problem as 5 so now we downloaded log files and I am waiting to hear.

To be honest, I have had it. I used a IPhone yesterday and although it lacked functionality, IT WORKED and was very fast.

The Storm is a Beta phone and we all paid top dollar to debug it so they could sell the Storm 2. I feel robbed. I am now spending my days timing the issues on my phone.

Bottom line, I want a tour or bold. The bold won't work on Verizon but if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

I have one year until I can get a Storm 2, but there be some major pluses. Right now we have a phone that does what it wants when it wants, horrible battery life and a poorly designed screen that will eventually collect dust and we will have to pay the $50 fee for insurance.

If not for RIM, this phone would be permantly imbedded in my wall:ma
    06-05-09 01:05 PM
    HAHA almost threw my phone last night. My BF has wanted to huck it several times since now that I have it I mute/hang up on him or dont hear the phone to pick it up. Bluetooth and me dont get along, even prior to the storm.

I am worried about the dust since I am a horsie gal. I am at the barn everyday and my storm goes with me. Barns are dirty, dusty and nasty. Which is why I have insurance. The first time it broke I think it was my fault, not the phone. I tried the IPHONE and loved it, but I refuse to switch to AT&T. I am curious to see if I am willing to shell out the $$$ for the Storm 2 since I JUST signed up for a new 2 year agreement. My first phone had no issues up until it died a couple weeks ago (once again I do NOT think it was the phone itself fault)

I am seeing that either you get a good one, or you get a really bad one. Its very hard since my life is my phone! It dies and suddenly I am in the fetal position in a corner of a dark room sucking my thumb because I am now all alone cut off from the rest of mankind
    06-05-09 01:15 PM
    As for the battery prob, i too was having my battery die out after a few hours of no use. I changed my settings in options-mobile network-network technology to 1XEV, it was on global and now battery life has improved.
    06-05-09 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD