I've noticed some subtle and interesting stereotypes pertaining to the BB Flip. Generally, it's for smartphone newbies or chicks. Why is that? Here's my take...

I work in a professional environment (suit & tie everyday). Any guy that attaches anything to their belt screams GEEK to me. In addition, talking on a full QWERTY feels like I'm talking into a calculator.

Also, the constant "BB prayer position" is very interesting to me. If you need to be texting or e-mailing that frequently, you either have time management problems or an over inflated sense of self.

To me, the BB Flip is more appropriate for men and the others are for women. Women can throw that big ole' BB in their purse. Men should not be wearing their phone on their hip.

Also, women are the ones that need to be in constant communication with each other. They need the full QWERTY.

I say Flip for guys!
    06-04-09 10:45 AM
    lol yeah its a stereotype but im a guy and love my flip.... and i have seen other male using it and not one female where i live that i have seen with one in hand.
    06-04-09 11:44 AM
    Another guy, with a flip, and I love it! Fits my hand well (and I have big hands) and easy to type on.
    06-04-09 02:19 PM
    Of course all sweeping generalizations are invalid (including this one!), but that said I'm a guy and I bought the flip precisely because it was smaller than the "standard" BBs and I can effectively use it one handed.

OTOH this is my first smartphone so maybe the stereotype is valid.
    06-04-09 02:49 PM
    dont be persuaded one way or another by these stereotype things, not just with phones but with anything in life. if you like something, you like it. i always loved flip phones. i love blackberrys too. when blackberrry came out with a flip, it was game over, had have it.
    06-04-09 07:30 PM
    I love mine too. I do dislike how my S key can stick from time to time but realt it can be a guy's phone too. The curve 2 doesn't really do much more if anything that the flip doesn't do.
    06-04-09 07:38 PM
    Another guy with a flip, I love it too. I like this better than the Curve and the Pearl. It fits perfectly on my pistol belt. Yes I am a police officer and I love my flip.

msblueline

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 07:49 PM
    Does your S key ever stick? Lol uy would be funny to have a photo thead called 'guys post your flip photo' lol. Any ladies looking for a hot guy with a flip? Jk
    06-04-09 07:57 PM
    dont be persuaded one way or another by these stereotype things, not just with phones but with anything in life. if you like something, you like it. i always loved flip phones. i love blackberrys too. when blackberrry came out with a flip, it was game over, had have it.
    My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't change phones if they gave it to me.
    06-04-09 08:03 PM
    I'm actually thinking of getting one to replace my storm.
    Loved my pearl, (same stereotypes back then), size is nice, they're sturdy enough to pound nails with, I just needed a bigger screen for my eyes.
    Now I have another choice.
    Last edited by fonebrkr; 06-04-09 at 09:42 PM.
    06-04-09 09:12 PM
    I'm actually thinking of getting one to replace my storm.
    Loved my pearl, (same stereotypes back then), size is nice, their sturdy enough to pound nails with, I just needed a bigger screen for my eyes.
    Now I have another choice.
    I have had a pearl, curve, and now the storm. I cannot stand my storm and I will be getting this phone too. Wish they would have the buy one get one, but I doubt they will since it will be a new berry. My wife really wants one too, and I think she would like the flip.
    06-04-09 09:25 PM
    yeah, I think the BB BOGO deals are gonna be suspended for a while with the new models coming out over the next few months.
    I'm just going to round up all of my old stuff, sell it on craig's and pay retail for this one.
    06-04-09 09:45 PM
    I'm a guy, just put my curve on ebay and bought the flip. I like this form factor way better. Suretype works great too, not missing full qwerty at all.

Joe.
    06-04-09 09:59 PM
    I checked it out at the store and the keypad is much bigger than my 8120.
    06-04-09 10:02 PM
    If you need to be texting or e-mailing that frequently, you either have time management problems or an over inflated sense of self.
    I have neither... but I think the people contact me (mainly my customers and co-workers) non-stop all day have both issues.

Sometimes I want to throw my phone against the wall, and scream - "This much communication about EVERYTHING is not neccessary!"

Alas, it is my job so I must do it. God forbid I lose my job "in this economy" (another thing I'm tired of hearing).

The Pearl I love, I agree, I hate holding a calculator to my face. But the flip - no. I'm dying for a new phone so hopefully they come up with a different Pearl - SOON.
    06-04-09 10:24 PM
    oh jeez. don't think too much into what your phone says about you. If you like it and it works for you, then great.
    06-04-09 10:26 PM
    A girl that I know just bought a black pearl flip on Bell... I personnaly use the Storm, and I love to have a big thing on my belt!
    06-04-09 10:29 PM
    I'm a dude and I have a Bold, mainly because I enjoy the full qwerty (having just come from the HTC Touch Pro, the devil's phone).

It's funny this topic should come up, as I'm currently trying to talk my dad into getting a BlackBerry for his oversea travels.
    He likes the Bold, but he wants to be able to type with one hand, he dislikes the Bold's large width and prefers slim-line flip phones. In short, the Pearl Flip.

Perhaps the flip was designed for middle-aged men who like their computers as computers and their phone as phones?

It's probably worth noting that my girlfriend has a Bold, too.
    06-05-09 12:29 AM
    My crackberry history includes a RIM 957, a 7230, 7100t, 7105t, 8100, and my 8130 before I got my flipberry. I'm a guy, and I've always loved my blackberries since 03, but clamshell has always been my favorite form factor. I'm neither a girl or a smartphone noob, but when this phone came out, I HAD to have it, and I'm pretty sure its gonna be the last phone I buy for a while!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 02:47 PM
    I've noticed some subtle and interesting stereotypes pertaining to the BB Flip. Generally, it's for smartphone newbies or chicks. Why is that? Here's my take...

I work in a professional environment (suit & tie everyday). Any guy that attaches anything to their belt screams GEEK to me. In addition, talking on a full QWERTY feels like I'm talking into a calculator.

Also, the constant "BB prayer position" is very interesting to me. If you need to be texting or e-mailing that frequently, you either have time management problems or an over inflated sense of self.

To me, the BB Flip is more appropriate for men and the others are for women. Women can throw that big ole' BB in their purse. Men should not be wearing their phone on their hip.

Also, women are the ones that need to be in constant communication with each other. They need the full QWERTY.

I say Flip for guys!
    What he said!!
    06-05-09 03:04 PM
    My hubby and I both have the flip. he needs it for his big ol fingers (and because I think he prefers flips). I go either way actually. I like both flips and candy bar style phones and base my decision on other factors like the screen and keyboard. I must admit though, it's nice to be able to just slip it in your pocket. I don;t think you'd be able to do that as well with the Curve or one of the other BB's.
    06-05-09 03:24 PM

I say Flip for guys!

Looks like I have to be the one to say, disagree. That GEEK with the BlackBerry on his belt probably will wind up being your boss one day, also you will find more guys that want a QWERTY device because they call it a "Man's phone" The small candy bar Pearl or Pearl flip is more girly. So, you gave your opinion and I gave mine...
    06-05-09 03:36 PM
    I am a stay at home mom and a Freelance Writer who has a Curve the 8120 and the Flip. I have Docs to Go on the 8120 and my Flip. I use the program alot and prefer the flip with its bigger keys.

My husband is in law enforcement and had bigger hands but prefers the full keyboard. He loves the form of the Flip and wishes there was a way to squeeze the full keyboard into a flip BB. So I guess like most on the thread have said it fits both men and women in MHO, just depends on your preferrence.
    06-05-09 07:32 PM

I say Flip for guys!
    Interesting take, may I ask where you work/your age?

I am a student at a canadian university, and amongst my friends, nearly all have chosen a qwerty blackberry (curve/bold), even those who have in the past owned pearls. The popular opinion amongst guys is that a suretype blackberry is a bit of a fairy's phone and all are willing to accept the larger size for convenience of a full keyboard.
    With respect to the belt thing, have you heard, seen or read about the louis V changepurse trend?! mind boggling and enough to make anyone reconsider either what separates cool and geeky.

All this being said, total respect for those who do choose the flip, I thought it was way more important as a phone than the bold when i heard about it, passionate people like you all validate that opinion
    06-05-09 08:36 PM
    I'm on 17 my first berry was a 7230 and then i got an 8700g but the best berry i have had yet has been the flip it works semelessly and i like it. I am a smartphone person i used to have the touch diamond i called it a piece of sh*t look it how thick that thing was

yes pearl flip is perfect for people who like small phone but with the full power of the web in your pocket
    06-05-09 10:25 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD