Hi.

Long story short. Spend half my time in U.S. and half my time in Canada. Sick of ATT charges for international roaming. I want to be on the verizon nationwide plus canada voice plan and I want access to data through the global email option.

Verizon only lists the Storm and 8830 as options for global email. Can I get them to register any of the Curves if I'm only going to use it in Canada and the U.S.? What about an unlocked version of the Pearl Flip?

I don't like the Storm and would prefer something smaller than the 8830. I'm out of the country right now and Verizon's customer support has not been very helpful figuring this out.

Anyone here have thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    06-04-09 09:20 AM
    Canada can use the CDMA technology. there is the data global CDMA data feature that can be added to your device that is 64.99 per month. This replaces your 29.99 data plan and will work in Canada and USA
    06-04-09 08:24 PM
    Thanks for the reply lastraid.

So I know about the nationwide plus canada voice plan and global email plan.

I want to use a curve or flip when it comes out on June 19. Will a verizon rep let me sign up for nationwide plus canada and global email with a curve or flip?

On vzw's site it says global email only works with the 8830 and storm. I don't like either and if a curve or flip would work fine in the u.s. and canada will they let me set it up with one of those?
    06-04-09 10:45 PM
    If you are eligable for upgrade, yes they will set you up and place those features on the account.

VZW.com/international Here is more info about the plans
    06-04-09 10:52 PM
    I realize this thread is probably dead by now, but wanted to share what I know to be the current info for anyone else in the same boat as me. I'm going to Canada for a couple of weeks vacation, and wanted to keep my email.

After talking to two different reps on two different occasions (the first one didn't know what she was talking about), I found out that I *cannot* get the international unlimited data plan for my 8330 Curve, that only applies to "global" phones. That doesn't make any sense to me - if the phone works within the country you're visiting, why not allow the plan?

But the good news is that instead of the $1.99/kilobyte that is mentioned on the web site, it should be charged @ $0.002/kilobyte! Quite a difference!

And unfortunately no unlimited txt messages plan available either.
    07-08-09 07:39 AM
    Actually there is a global unlimited data feature for CDMA only phones. Its 64,99 just like the version for GSM phones.

Texting Canada is counted as domestic as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 09:21 AM
    I realize this thread is probably dead by now, but wanted to share what I know to be the current info for anyone else in the same boat as me. I'm going to Canada for a couple of weeks vacation, and wanted to keep my email.

After talking to two different reps on two different occasions (the first one didn't know what she was talking about), I found out that I *cannot* get the international unlimited data plan for my 8330 Curve, that only applies to "global" phones. That doesn't make any sense to me - if the phone works within the country you're visiting, why not allow the plan?

But the good news is that instead of the $1.99/kilobyte that is mentioned on the web site, it should be charged @ $0.002/kilobyte! Quite a difference!

And unfortunately no unlimited txt messages plan available either.

hmm thats weird. I'm in Canada right now, I have the storm so its a global phone, but my boss is running the Curve and he has the international data plan. I'd try calling again if I were you.
    07-08-09 03:14 PM
    Canada and mexico and other CDMA countries can be used with the Curve/Pearl Flip etc you can add a global data plan for $64.99 and have unlimited data where ever you go.
    07-08-09 03:16 PM
    Actually there is a global unlimited data feature for CDMA only phones. Its 64,99 just like the version for GSM phones.

Texting Canada is counted as domestic as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hello,

I'm still new to the forums....are you saying that texting to Canada and while in Canada and receiving from Canada on Verizon is still counted as domestic text messages? So as long as I don't go over the allowed messages, I won't be charged the ridiculous 0.25$ to send txt to Canada? That's great if that's the case!

Thanks!

A.
    08-19-09 05:40 PM
    Hello Everyone! I just got the BB Tour. I am on Verizon's North American Choice Plan. I also had to add the $29.99 for email and web. I spend a good part of the year in Canada. The sales rep (out of BestBuy) called Verizon and confirmed there would be no extra charges if I was accessing email/web on my BB when in Canada - specifically because I was on the North American Choice Plan. If I was on a regular domestic plan and traveling in Canada - I would be paying extra charges for email and web. The sales rep at BestBuy was very helpful, but after reading this thread perhaps someone here can shed more light? Thanks for comments/suggestions!
    08-21-09 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD