Finally GOT it working!

For some reason, all my pictures taken had been saved with .rem extension at the end meaning encrypted, I've had trouble trying to find a way to open up those pictures on my computer/laptop other than e-mailing them back to myself.

So after some reading, I managed to turn off all encryption and did a software update on my BB 9000 Bold.

The pictures taken are now saved with just .jpg, which is great! But what about the old pictures?

a method i saw is, first make sure encryption is off! (test by taking new picture), then going go MEDIA -> EXPLORE, create a new folder and MOVE the encrypted picture ONE by ONE which would decrypt it, turning it back to .jpg. It does work... but it will take you A MILLION YEARS to do one by one. In my case.. i had a 1000+ pictures.

Since Media Explorer doesn't support multiple select, i started looking for options... I first used a freeware/donateware BBFileScout... which chickened out on my when I was trying to move encrypted file saying that it might not open..

So i downloaded a trial version of File Manager Pro. I selected multiple files and moved it... and guess what...... IT WORKED!!!! =)

my life is now free again!

hope this would help other forum members!!!!
    06-04-09 01:37 AM
    Finally GOT it working!

For some reason, all my pictures taken had been saved with .rem extension at the end meaning encrypted, I've had trouble trying to find a way to open up those pictures on my computer/laptop other than e-mailing them back to myself.

So after some reading, I managed to turn off all encryption and did a software update on my BB 9000 Bold.

The pictures taken are now saved with just .jpg, which is great! But what about the old pictures?

a method i saw is, first make sure encryption is off! (test by taking new picture), then going go MEDIA -> EXPLORE, create a new folder and MOVE the encrypted picture ONE by ONE which would decrypt it, turning it back to .jpg. It does work... but it will take you A MILLION YEARS to do one by one. In my case.. i had a 1000+ pictures.

Since Media Explorer doesn't support multiple select, i started looking for options... I first used a freeware/donateware BBFileScout... which chickened out on my when I was trying to move encrypted file saying that it might not open..

So i downloaded a trial version of File Manager Pro. I selected multiple files and moved it... and guess what...... IT WORKED!!!! =)

interesting..

I new that they got encrypted but I didn't realize the method to get them unencrypted if you wanted to...
    06-04-09 02:41 AM
    add this to the how-to section maybe?
    06-05-09 08:35 AM
    Great, this will save me alot of time. Thanks
    11-17-09 12:20 AM
    Awesome info!, I've been trying to figure this out for awhile but never had the time to experiment. Thank you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 12:56 AM
    Thank you!! that was driving me crazy and I was just about to post my own thread about it when I found this. Phew!
    02-01-10 07:59 AM
    i get a file system error when trying to do this
    Last edited by killajay41889; 06-08-10 at 11:45 AM.
    06-08-10 10:53 AM
    encrypted images are never really encrypted. rename the file and it still opens as normal. some of BB/RIMs security are just as weak as a windows password. always an easy work around
    06-08-10 11:06 AM
    add this to the how-to section maybe?
    +1. This is good.
    06-08-10 11:21 AM
    sure moved thread!
    diegonei likes this.
    06-08-10 11:28 AM
    Finally GOT it working!

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I had a similar question, but related to video files that are encrypted with .REM extensions.

I tried the trick above of creating a new folder and moving the files there, but that didn't work. The files are still encrypted and cannot be played on my PC. One thing that did work is when I emailed a video file to myself it arrived unencrypted (dropped the .REM and just became .3GP). But this method is useless for all but the smallest video files because of the attachment size limit.

Any ideas from folks on what else I can try? BTW I am using a Bold 9650 on VZW. Thanks in advance.
    07-25-10 12:06 AM
    Dear member,

i still cant solved the problem ((( can u please help me? is there any alternatives? it seems tidus888 very have a good luck on it, but not with me because when i tried to move the encrypted files (with jpg.REM) it said 'error decrypting header'..
    Please help..all of the pictures have a history on it..really need the way out
    08-17-10 10:58 AM
    Incredible information. I was having this kind of trouble too. Thanks a lot!!
    08-26-10 05:52 PM
    I still have problem, when I move my jpg.rem picture to other file with blackberry's or File Manager Pro. It said "Media Card is secured by another device. Unable to access encrypted file."
    08-30-10 09:40 AM
    I still have problem, when I move my jpg.rem picture to other file with blackberry's or File Manager Pro. It said "Media Card is secured by another device. Unable to access encrypted file."
    I'm having the same problem. I removed the .rem suffix on a few files using my PC but it did not help.
    12-02-10 03:42 AM
    I have moved my .rem to another folder, but its still saying .rem and doesn't give me the option to email =/ Ive tried using Roxio and the file is just greyed out and not viewable. In the file info, it does not allow me to unlock >.<
    12-12-10 09:35 PM
    This only worked because the photos were encrypted and decoded all on the same device. The encryption is device specific. I made a similar mistake when I did a warranty swap. My photos were encrypted and the new device wouldn't read them. I had to use the original device to decode them before I could read them on any other device.
    12-31-10 11:18 AM
    I am not sure if my issue is related to encryption but a month or two back, my BB stopped registering to the BB server as an ATT customer. After some lengthy tech support with RIM, they guided me to updated my OS 6 on the ATT website. Did the update and all systems go, great. Now the only problem I have left is that I cannot email, send, text or anything my pictures or videos. I can only move media with something called whatsapp. I tried to uninstall that to see if my BB would be restored and no luck. So I reinstalled my whatsapp. Does anyone know what I can do to get my option to send media via email, text, BBM back???
    01-01-11 02:07 PM
    Renaming the picture worked good for me I can now attach these pictures I had previously encrypted. Thank you

01-01-11 04:15 PM
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Basically, I found that I had to make sure files are renamed after encryptions are switched off in options -> security

Once these files are renamed and keeping encryption off, I was able to synch up with the desktop manager and import the media files.

Best of luck ( it took my 3 hrs to figure this out today!)
    01-29-11 09:52 PM
    I was looking for this topic earlier! Thanks much man!!!!

02-15-11 02:54 PM
    Oh... You save my life.
    04-30-11 01:57 PM
    encrypted images are never really encrypted. rename the file and it still opens as normal. some of BB/RIMs security are just as weak as a windows password. always an easy work around
    Not true. Renaming doesn't unencrypt an image file unless you first change Options>Media Card>Encrypt Media Files to "No!"

05-01-11 12:21 PM
    ... So i downloaded a trial version of File Manager Pro. I selected multiple files and moved it... and guess what...... IT WORKED!!!! =)
    Thank you for this tip. I'll see if this program is still available and look into using it for this purpose. Currently I transfer encrypted files back and forth between pc and device using the Roxio Media Manager that comes with an old version of DM, and it's ridiculously slow.

05-01-11 12:42 PM
    i know i may sound silly..but i really cannot find where exact is explore..please can someone help me out
    12-27-11 06:05 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD