I've searched many forums for a way to replace my Verizon voicemail with Google Voice, but nobody seems to have stumbled across the workaround I came up with this afternoon.

(If you weren't in on the GrandCentral beta, I don't think you can get GV right now... sorry!)

First, access GV from the web. Add a new contact (I named mine "Cell Phone") and assign only one number... your cell number. Next, click "Edit Google Voice Settings" and check the radio button for "Send to Voicemail" and save.

(Leave call presentation turned ON... otherwise, the call may "loop" if the caller is in your address book, and your cell will ring twice before the caller eventually reaches your GV voicemail.)

Now, on your cell phone, enter *71 plus your ten digit cell phone number, and hit "send." You'll hear three quick beeps; hang up.

Now, when someone calls your GV number, your cell will ring four times. The caller will hear three more rings, and your GV voicemail will pick up the call.

I've tried all the scenarios I can think of, and it seems to work fine. The only calls that go directly to GV voicemail are the ones I don't answer. I can still use GV Dialer, and it doesn't get sent to voicemail when I call my Google Voice number from my cell phone.

If anybody else runs into bugs using GV this way, please point them out.
    06-02-09 08:32 PM
    I did it differently... When somebody calls me google voice intercepts the call and I have the chance to pick the call up or send to vm or receive the call and record it at the same time in google talk

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 06:50 AM
    That's the way Google Voice usually works. There are two reasons I set it up differently:

1) If somebody calls my cell directly, instead of my GV number, the call goes to VZW voicemail -- I don't get a transcript and can't check it from a computer like GV. I want GV to be my voicemail for ALL cell calls, not just the ones that go through GV.

2) There are several callers who I don't want to screen, so I've disabled call presentation for those numbers in the GV contacts page. If my secretary or girlfriend calls when I'm driving and using my BT headset, I don't want to have to search for my phone and enter prompts to answer the call. This way, either I just answer the call normally, or it rolls over to Google Voice.
    06-03-09 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD