New Qualcomm technology could mean 1.3GHz BlackBerry at SmartPhoneCool.com

The chip provides support for 3G over either CDMA or UMTS networks as well as Bluetooth, GPS and Wi-Fi. It can likewise support displays as large as WXGA (usually 1366�768) as well as TV tuning through formats like FLO TV in the US or DVB-H in Europe. In spite of its high clock speed, the new Snapdragon is efficient enough for smartphones and uses less than 10 mW of power at idle.

Interesting to say the least...

forkup
    06-02-09 10:08 AM
    hot stuff id love that
    06-02-09 03:17 PM
    1.3 Ghz!, I have a linux file server at home with a slower processor than this. I would imagine it is too late for any BB being released this year, maybe end of 2010.
    06-02-09 08:18 PM
    My take is this phrase I use for all my IT related work..."Your device is only as fast as the slowest component in it, be it hardware or software"

Unless those specs are beefed up with a better packaged OS / browser, and the ability to run apps off of a media card (or offer much more memory as a compromise) this won't be useful for BB.

It is still a great breakthrough and if nothing else will feed innovation further.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 08:28 PM
    1.3 Ghz!, I have a linux file server at home with a slower processor than this. I would imagine it is too late for any BB being released this year, maybe end of 2010.
    Not only is this not licensed yet, but I dont even think its mass produced yet.

the 1GHz barrier will be broken, and very soon, for BlackBerry's
    06-02-09 09:28 PM
    Not only is this not licensed yet, but I dont even think its mass produced yet.

the 1GHz barrier will be broken, and very soon, for BlackBerry's
    Yep, hopefully with an Intel Atom variant
    06-03-09 12:00 AM
    Yes, look for devices to make leaps in powerful processor speed in the next couple of years.

06-03-09 12:19 AM
    I dont see why BB needs a 1ghz+ processor. the 624mhz on the bold is plenty snappy. Ive rarely seen the little wait icon.

How much power do you need to run a basic Java OS really?? Its not like RIM plans to, I dont know, tweak their OS for the 21st century or anything anytime soon anyways.

I dont see the point at att, its like putting a 3000hp engine in a rusted out 1980 Honda. There's just no need until the base (the OS) is improved to something more than simple Java. The OS is the new Palm OS of the industry- begging to be overhualed.

Look at RIM's past- they just FINALLY broke 240x320 resolution and only to half-vga on the Bold. they run a basic OS based on Java, mostly low spec hardware, etc. I dont see this coming in the next year or so to RIM, maybe to WM and such powerful smartphone/PPCs. RIM isnt exactly in the up and up or known for specced out phones.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-03-09 at 12:33 AM.
    06-03-09 12:29 AM
    RIM not giving into the hype of the latest and greatest is what has made them great. Stability. The only mistake I've seen them make thus far is the Storm. I am by no means bashing the storm. I actually really like it. But with hype that big, they'll always be disappointment. RIM needs to focus on what makes the popular. Power, speed, and function over fancy and decked out. I agree whole hearted w the comments it won't probably hit consumers hands until we see a LTE roll-out, with a completely overhauled BB OS. Well that wasn't the comments. LOL. Someone said end of 2010 and with the time tables of LTE... I'm just jumping ahead too many steps!

ADD hello. Sorry!

06-03-09 12:44 AM
    ^^^You won't get answers to questions if you double post in different threads No one knows yet, and if they do they are probably under NDA and can't say.
    06-03-09 01:00 AM
    Nice I Want It
    06-03-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD