I purchased a Blackberry 8900 off of Craigslist and was extremely happy with my purchase until the phone broke. This is clearly a hardware problem because I have completely reset and reinstalled the OS to no avail. I took apart the 8900 and ruled out that the keyboard membrane was faulty. The phone turned on, received calls, but no matter what the keyboard wouldn't work (yet the trackball would scroll but not select/click). Thus, I got on EBay and purchased a PCB and Keyboard Membrane from GSM4World.

Upon receipt of the item today, the parts were not interchangeable because the new part was wider than my original (the part numbers didn't match). So I e-mailed the company and requested a refund. Regardless, I would still like to fix my phone and order the appropriate part. What vendors can I get the original Keyboard Membrane from and reasonably priced? Also, any ideas as to why the sellers on EBay advertise an 8900 PCB and Membrane, but is wider than the U.S. BB 8900?

I could send pictures to any of those interested. Thanks in advance!
    06-01-09 04:48 PM
    try cnn.cn. they have the keyboard, but i dont think they have the membrane. im sure someone else on here with more knowledge will know something.
    06-01-09 07:56 PM
    try cnn.cn. they have the keyboard, but i dont think they have the membrane. im sure someone else on here with more knowledge will know something.
    I think the problem is rooted in the membrane, not the actual keyboard. And the membrane is not a separate piece in the 8900. I ordered it from HK with the PCB and midplate housing. Unfortunately, the part that was received, was wider than my internals, which was very weird.
    06-01-09 10:15 PM
    It turns out the part was falsely advertised and was compatible with the 8930, not the 8900.

Does anybody know where I can get an 8900 Keyboard Membrane?
    06-02-09 01:12 AM
    I think the problem is rooted in the membrane, not the actual keyboard. And the membrane is not a separate piece in the 8900. I ordered it from HK with the PCB and midplate housing. Unfortunately, the part that was received, was wider than my internals, which was very weird.
    Do you have a link to what you purchased?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 04:32 AM
    Wow this sucks, this is why i'm very leery about buying stuff on ebay and craigslist. Sometimes risk is bigger than rewards. Good luck
    06-02-09 05:54 AM
    Do you have a link to what you purchased?

The seller actually removed the advertisement from EBay because he realized that he was advertising the wrong part. It was from GSM4World and supposedly an 8900 PCB + midplate housing + keyboard membrane.

Maybe I should just part the phone and sell the original LCD (which functions perfectly), given its short supply?
    06-02-09 07:08 PM
    The seller actually removed the advertisement from EBay because he realized that he was advertising the wrong part. It was from GSM4World and supposedly an 8900 PCB + midplate housing + keyboard membrane.

Maybe I should just part the phone and sell the original LCD (which functions perfectly), given its short supply?
    I kinda figured. They were probably selling the 83xx keyboard membrane advertised as the 8900 keyboard membrane.
    I'd try to take advantage of the 1 year warranty on the phone, if you already voided it I'd go with parting the phone.

06-02-09 07:23 PM
    I kinda figured. They were probably selling the 83xx keyboard membrane advertised as the 8900 keyboard membrane.
    I'd try to take advantage of the 1 year warranty on the phone, if you already voided it I'd go with parting the phone.

One year warranty is only offered through the carrier to original purchaser, which I am not. I will proceed in parting the phone.

The original seller told me the part he sent was for the 8930, CDMA version of the Javelin?
    06-02-09 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD