Hey guys,

This may seem like a total noobsac question but where the fack is my 3g on my storm. I think that the browsing on the phone is pretty damn slow. And is there an actual icon that pops up when im in a 3g zone? Ive always wondered this but wasnt really 100% sure. No flaming plz LOL
    06-01-09 11:53 AM
    If you show 1XEV, you're in 3G.

the Storm on CDMA is a 3G device always.. Only when it's browsing on the GSM side is it in 2G(at least in America).
    06-01-09 11:54 AM
    The BlackBerry browser is notorious for being extremely slow. If you do use it make sure to fixable javascript. Its better to usr another app like operamini which is much faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 12:01 PM
    Download opera mini. I rarely use the BB browser for anything.

06-01-09 12:04 PM

the Storm on CDMA is a 3G device always.. Only when it's browsing on the GSM side is it in 2G(at least in America).
    What he said. Is this what's showing on your phone?

06-01-09 12:09 PM
    What he said. Is this what's showing on your phone?

Yes. This is exactly what i have. I thought it would show a nifty little 3G icon but i forgot were on VZW where creativity is smashed to the ground and function prevails! LOL. Is opera mini really that much of a difference vs the bb browser??
    06-01-09 12:25 PM
    I wonder when RIM will see it fit to grace the bb nation with a superb browser.
    06-01-09 12:47 PM

1XEV is Verizons version of 3G. HOWEVER its not the same as say AT&Ts and some others true 3G network. AT&Ts network is a whole lot faster than 1XEV.
    06-01-09 12:59 PM
    1XEV is Verizons version of 3G. HOWEVER its not the same as say AT&Ts and some others true 3G network. AT&Ts network is a whole lot faster than 1XEV.
    Well, if you want to get into specifics, 1XEV has Rev.0 and Rev.A

Soo.. GSM "3G" is about as fast as 1XEV.. it's only faster if your device is HSDPA capable.

Rev.A and HSDPA are so similar.. I think Rev.A is 3.1Mbps, and HSDPA is 3.6Mbps, so on paper it's faster. In real world? ATT's 3G towers are so saturated that you wont ever see that speed.

Both Rev.A and HSDPA are referenced as "3.5G"
    06-01-09 01:07 PM
    Does the opera mini work alright on the storm?
    06-01-09 01:50 PM
    Opera is very, very fast. I use it almost exclusively.

There's a settings you need to adjust, since it's not optimised for the storm.
    -goto opera settings and deselect "auto-complete address input"
    -goto BB options>advanced>applications>opera and disable compatibility mode if needed.

There are several concessions you'll make too:
    -A page with lots of picture will not show all of them(use other browser for those)
    -radio buttons/selection boxex are sometimes hard to select(just focus on where you're hitting the screen)

The payback is raw speed. In speed tests I get like 3-4000kbps with opera, and 3-600kbps with BB browser. Opera is using a technique to achieve that, by rendering content on their server before sending you a compressed version of a sites content.
    Last edited by catbertz; 06-01-09 at 02:13 PM.
    06-01-09 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD