I have what very well may be a "dumb question"...but it won't stop me from asking it I work in the lower level of a hospital, I get 0 to 1 bars of Verizon signal...is there such a device that works as a signal amplifier or "tower repeater" that I could place at my desk to make my WE funtional? Just a shot in the dark.... Thanks!
    06-01-09 11:18 AM
    smoothtalker may work for talk but I don't know if it will help much with data. worth a shot. I have one at my home and one in my truck and they work great for me. I live on the edge of coverage and also run around on logging roads in the mountains and have noticed a good boost with both.
    06-01-09 11:24 AM
    You can try a Z-Boost, but if you don't have a window to put the antenna by it wont work as well...there are a bunch of different kinds, and they aren't cheap, but there's 2 I'd recommend. Either the yx510-Dual-Band ($399), or the yx300-Dual-Band ($169). The main difference between the two is the YX510 is a little more powerful to boost the signal, but much more powerful in the area it covers (2500 sq ft). The yx300 is a little less powerful to boost the signal, but much less powerful in the area it covers (10 sq ft) If it's just for your desk area the yx300 is good, but if it's for the whole office area the yx510 is better. Or you can try to get the hospital to get the yx610-Dual-Band which covers 10,000 sq feet, but it is much more expensive (I don't know the cost of that one). They pretty much work for all phones (voice and data) except for nextel. You can check it out here

Wireless Extenders - Home
    06-01-09 11:48 AM
    If you google this there are plenty of signal boosters.
    06-01-09 11:52 AM
    your OP subject made me Google 'cause my house is a deadzone. I just can't justify $300 to boost my signal. that's almost the price of a landline phone for a year. the cheapest I found was $199.
    Verizon has a device that turns your broad band connection into your very own cell tower, but $250 also.
    06-01-09 12:32 PM
    Verizon has what they call "network extenders" we have one in one of our offices because Verizon has absolutely NO reception there - and they are our crop vendor. it uses your DSL line (at least the ones we have do.) and they were about 150 bucks.
    06-01-09 01:34 PM
    yes the verizon network extender femocell

its like 200 bucks though..

it needs to have reception near a window to get a gps signal (can also use a antenna to get close window)

it then plugs into a data network connection and it turns into a mini cell tower
    06-01-09 03:35 PM
    WoW! I was on the phone for twenty minutes trying to figure out why the Verizon extender needed to be near a window and be on the internet. Which of course Verizon CustServ had nothing for me but what they could read on the internet.
    I hadn't thought it was about confirming that the extender was in the coverage area! That's genius price gouging! Verizon can't let go of anything that will bring in revenue! I honestly think that the CEO's are language limited Japanese illegal aliens! Why can't we get the full potential of the technology without being raped of every penny in our pockets!?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 09:55 PM
    WoW! I was on the phone for twenty minutes trying to figure out why the Verizon extender needed to be near a window and be on the internet. Which of course Verizon CustServ had nothing for me but what they could read on the internet.
    I hadn't thought it was about confirming that the extender was in the coverage area! That's genius price gouging! Verizon can't let go of anything that will bring in revenue! I honestly think that the CEO's are language limited Japanese illegal aliens! Why can't we get the full potential of the technology without being raped of every penny in our pockets!?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

umm...

how is it price gouging...

every single one has a GPS even on other networks..

this is so people don't form small cell networks... and use them as a business...

you don't have to pay monthly fees..

it just has to know your location is all...

you can even take it with you wherever there is internet in the usa..
    06-01-09 11:08 PM
    The femtocell seems like the way to go...however the being close to a window thing, I understand their vantage point as to why they believe it is necessary...but on the other hand, if I was next to a window I would not need the product to begin with.
    06-01-09 11:20 PM
    The femtocell seems like the way to go...however the being close to a window thing, I understand their vantage point as to why they believe it is necessary...but on the other hand, if I was next to a window I would not need the product to begin with.

I think noone fully read what I wrote..

you can get a cable thats a antenna that you can run over to any window

so it can sit on the desk..
    06-01-09 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD