Hi all,

I'm new around here, and don't own a BB yet, but I have a bit of a kinship with RIM, as I walked through their parking lots several times each day to get to my classes at Waterloo, in what seems like forever ago (7 years!).

I'm thinking about jumping into BB world within the next two weeks (before a trip), and switching from VZ to AT&T (contract's up) with a Bold. I don't want to shell out a stack of money for the device if I don't have to, but I don't see the refurb link on the AT&T site anymore.

Any thoughts on what's to come in the next 2 weeks, so that I could aim for the best price on a new or refurb unit?

Thanks,
    e
    05-31-09 08:53 PM
    A refurb's warranty is only for 90 days while a new one is good for a year. I would probably just pay for the new one just so you know you are the first owner of that one. I would also recommend Wireless Phone Insurance as it's 4.99 per month but if you break your phone, they send you a new one within 2-3 days and you pay the deductible which is $125 right now.
    05-31-09 09:21 PM
    With the warranty, do you get a new Bold or a refurb Bold?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 09:39 PM
    I just purchased my new Bold last night from the Amazon Wireless site for $149.99 with a new AT&T activation. Plus, until tomorrow, June 1st, the $36 activation fee is waived through the Amazon Wireless site. Not too bad, I think. I think, too, that all phones from the site have free 2-day shipping. Everything's legit... you just have to not lower your phone plan for the first 6 months or you'll get charged the remainder of the full phone's price.

I went with the lowest phone plan of $39.99 plus the $30 data plan & unlimited texting for $20. So, my bill each month will be $89.99 plus all of the erroneous taxes that are added on.

CC

Last edited by ccfixx; 05-31-09 at 09:52 PM.
    05-31-09 09:49 PM
    I believe you get a refurb, but I have heard stories that in some rare instances, they do send a new one depending on their stock.

With the warranty, do you get a new Bold or a refurb Bold?

05-31-09 11:25 PM
    Nothing wrong with refurbs I'm loving mine so far 2 and a half months of bliss!!
    06-01-09 06:12 AM
    I am about to switch to AT&T as well and I just notices that Wirefly dot com has the Bold for $29.99 for new contracts. I was holding out for the refurbs to show up on the AT&T website again, but I don't think I can beat this price.
    06-01-09 08:22 AM
    I personally would rather have a refurb over a brand new device. I know that a refurb is tested harder than a new device i.e. the brand new devices are tested in batch. They make a whole bunch of phones pull one out and test it. If that one passes the whole batch does and they may not all be like that one specific one they tested.

With refurbs they are individually tested to make sure the problems are gone once they have done whatever was needed and then the device gets all prettied up again and sent back to the carrier.
    06-01-09 08:29 AM
    I am about to switch to AT&T as well and I just notices that Wirefly dot com has the Bold for $29.99 for new contracts. I was holding out for the refurbs to show up on the AT&T website again, but I don't think I can beat this price.
    Were you able to pick the 450 Anytime min plan? I really don't talk on the phone that often so I wouldn't need the 900 Anytime min plan they offer.
    06-01-09 10:39 AM
    Refurb is fine. And yes, on AT&T they do reserve the right to (and most likely will) send you a refurb for warranty and insurance replacements.
    06-01-09 10:48 AM
    RE: Wirefly

I hadn't seen that site before (thanks), but it's very similar in both layout and content to the site that Best Buy uses for their AT&T offerings. Like Best Buy (where it's now $99), wirefly doesn't seem to offer the 450 minute plan, which is what I'm looking for, in addition to the basic data plan.

I bought my current phone from Amazon, and like their price/package, so no problems there. Would an AT&T store match those Best Buy/wirefly deals in person, but with the rate plan I want?
    06-01-09 03:45 PM

I bought my current phone from Amazon, and like their price/package, so no problems there. Would an AT&T store match those Best Buy/wirefly deals in person, but with the rate plan I want?
    Nope. Amazon and wirefly have subcontracts that make the phone price cheaper.
    06-01-09 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD