After many battery pulls and deleteing most applications, I only have less than 650000 in memory after a reboot. The only applications I have left on my BlackBerry 8830 World Edition are the following: The Hockey News, facebook, TweetGenius, and the Chicago White Sox. In the past, I have had at least 2 to 4 more applications and not had a problem with memory. I recently deleted my documents 2 go which gave me over 4000000 free in memory, but in a couple of days I was down to less then 1200000, and now down to less then 650000. I have already done the following to keep as much memory as possible:
    • Cleared Event Log
    • Cleared Browser Cache
    • Closed out all apps

As the memory goes, so does all my SMS, BBM conversations, call logs, and facebook messages. Is there something wrong with my phone, or do I need to delete all my apps? Should I reinstall my OS? I run v4.5.0.135 on Sprint. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    05-31-09 08:28 PM
    Are you on BIS or BES?
    How long is your email retention set for on your device? (I set mine for 30 days, then expunge)
    Also, is FB up to date? I don't use it but I recall others complaining about the earlier versions having bad memory leaks.

FWIW, my free memory hovers around 12mb. Other than the standard bb os stuff, I also have google talk and google sync.
    05-31-09 08:32 PM
    Are you on BIS or BES?
    How long is your email retention set for on your device? (I set mine for 30 days, then expunge)
    Also, is FB up to date? I don't use it but I recall others complaining about the earlier versions having bad memory leaks.

FWIW, my free memory hovers around 12mb. Other than the standard bb os stuff, I also have google talk and google sync.
    I'm on BIS. E-mail retention is set for forever, but I clear out any e-mails that I don't consider necessary regularly. Most e-mails do not have attachments either.
    05-31-09 08:48 PM
    Facebook is likely your culprit. Delete it and see if your memory comes back. Also, if you have never performed Reed McLay's procedure to free up memory, you must do it. You can find it in the How To and FAQ forum.
    05-31-09 10:01 PM
    Thanks Jeff! It was facebook. I actually deleted The Hockey News, TweetGenius, and facebook, and my memory went up to 9900000. I reinstalled The Hockey News and Tweet Genius and I'm sitting at 6800000. I hope I don't have to delete them again. I'm searching for the other memory clearing option you sugested. Thanks again!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 11:49 PM
    CrackBerryAppStore.com

I am currently evaluating this app for memory cleaning, so far it doesn't seem like a bad app and it's free.
    06-01-09 12:51 AM
    I have not used logMaid, but I did read the description in the AppStore. The fundamental problem with all programs that try to free up memory is that they occupy the very memory they are trying to free. So any savings they provide has to be greater than the space they occupy for you to have a net gain. Going solely by its description, logMaid performs three functions hourly: clearing the event log, running the Memory Cleaner, and running the Java Runtime Garbage collector.

The event log is a text file. If you have never deleted it, it might be 0.1MB. That's an insignificant savings. If you really want to be rid of it, though, CrackUtil can clear it for you with no memory footprint, since CrackUtil resides on and runs on your PC, not your device.

The Memory Cleaner is a security sweep. The memory caches it cleans are miniscule. If you enable it in the OS, it runs every time your device is idle for 5 mins. You don't need a 3rd party program residing in memory to do that.

The Java Garbage Collector is the OS's memory manager. The OS runs it whenever it needs to. There might possibly be some benefit to being able to command it to run.

None of my preceding comments mean logMaid is a bad program. It's also probably a very small program, since all it appears to be doing is running a timer and issuing 3 OS commands. So its memory footprint is likely very small. Whether its benefits outweigh its size depends on the user. If you can run CrackUtil and enable the Memory cleaner for yourself, you've done two of the three functions at zero cost to memory.
    06-01-09 06:06 AM
    Overnight it would appear that logmaid has ran it's scheduled task. Before i wiped the device yesterday I would consistently run around 12mb free and lower. After checking this morning, i'm still sitting around 18mb free. I'd say it's doing something right.
    06-01-09 07:13 AM
    Agreed, that's a significant improvement. That has to have come from the garbage collector or a reboot. It will be interesting to see if you get the same result tomorrow. If you do, and it's not the result of rebooting, then logMaid is at least giving you the benefit of a battery pull without the electrical stress to the system. That's worth something.

06-01-09 07:33 AM
    Not to further hijack the thread or anything, but with the 8830 WE what is the typical memory? I've not seen anything in writing yet in the way of hard numbers so i'm always going off what I pick up from the forums.
    06-01-09 12:58 PM
    That's purely a function of what you load. An 8830 has about 47MB available, so it can't hold as many apps as a 96MB 8330.

06-01-09 01:11 PM
    The .160 release from telus seems to improve memory usage as well. You may want to try that too.
    06-01-09 01:25 PM
    I'm running 4.5.0.160. It won't do anything to increase the 47MB number, but it may manage the available memory better. I only downloaded it Friday, so it's too soon to tell if it is any improvement over 4.5.0.138 in memory management.

06-01-09 01:28 PM
    Likewise, i'm running .160 version as well. My poor crackberry has been through two OS upgrades in the last week, and that's honestly about how long i've had it (new to me) so I honestly don't know what the "baseline" performance of the 8830 should be or what I should expect.

After several cursed thoughts, I am seriously considering a JL Cmdr wipe and complete reinstall though I doubt it will bring a rise in overall free file space, but just for my own peace of mind.
    06-01-09 03:06 PM
    I'm running 4.5.0.160. It won't do anything to increase the 47MB number, but it may manage the available memory better. I only downloaded it Friday, so it's too soon to tell if it is any improvement over 4.5.0.138 in memory management.

OS 4.5 should also prevent SMS and call logs from getting deleted. BBM convos may still get deleted. Facebook messages are still deleted.
    06-01-09 05:47 PM
    Oddly enough after I posted ealier I checked my status and I was actually down to just above 8mb after being at 13-14mb for most of the day. Trying to figure what if anything I should do.

06-01-09 06:28 PM
    This is the exact reason we need more internal memory like the iPhone. The memory leaks are very frustrating. At times we can't use the full functionability of our BlackBerries. It's like having a supermodel in your bed and not being able to touch her.
    06-01-09 06:55 PM
    That much memory use during the day doesn't necessarily represent a problem. The next time the garbage collector runs, it may recover most or all of it. The OS will do that automatically, or logMaid may cause it to run. And you can always reboot the device manually to recover all the lost memory.

06-01-09 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD