Hi. First time poster, so please be kind. (I did many searches before registering and posting.)

The Blackberry Messenger used to display contact status messages. It wouldn't just display Busy, but if a contact typed in "in mtg til 5" it would show that as well.

I upgraded to the new OS today, and now I only see the status "Available". I had a contact change his status message, and it didn't come through.

Is something broken, or is the part of the upgrade?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bb_eab; 05-31-09 at 09:14 PM. Reason: < edited for email notification of replies >
    05-31-09 07:38 PM
    just curious, did u do a battery pull?
    05-31-09 07:45 PM
    just curious, did u do a battery pull?
    Yes. I tried all my known tricks before posting.

Nice to know I was on the right track.
    05-31-09 07:57 PM
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. That and the fact that there was a different status for "free to chat" instead of available I think. I can't remember. It just struck me weird that I couldn't find the place to post my status msg lol
    05-31-09 08:11 PM
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. That and the fact that there was a different status for "free to chat" instead of available I think. I can't remember. It just struck me weird that I couldn't find the place to post my status msg lol
    There is a "Free to Chat" status as well as an "Available" status still. And I still have the option to post my status message. It's under "Edit My Info" in the BBM options menu.
    05-31-09 08:23 PM
    You can still post your own status message, but you just can't see anyone else's status message. Very annoying as we've gotten used to those as a sort of "tweet" update.

Having the "free to chat" and "available" isn't new. I found a thread last week that showed how to add the extra couple that weren't displayed by default.
    05-31-09 08:24 PM
    Got same issue. Hopefully someone figures out a cure.
    05-31-09 09:30 PM
    So looks like status message just has to be updated from the contact and you can see status messages again.
    05-31-09 10:36 PM
    So looks like status message just has to be updated from the contact and you can see status messages again.

Ah so when a contact updates their status we can see it then? I hope you're right! My contacts and I use the status line very often and I would be sad to see it disappear!

Thanks!
    05-31-09 11:16 PM
    Is something broken, or is the part of the upgrade?
    I found another thread wherein the comment was to delete and re-add the contacts. I deleted the contacts just from BBM, and since I have the PIN stored in my contact info, it was fairly simple to re-add. Everything seems back to normal!

So yes, something was broken, and yes, it was part of the upgrade.
    06-01-09 09:06 AM
    I have this same problem. The "Available" option is no longer there for me anymore. When I hit edit my info, I only have:

"Free to chat"
    "Busy in a meeting"
    "On Vacation"
    "Out of Office"

Before, it was "Available" instead of "Free to Chat" And now, when I select "Free to Chat", I can't change my status to something custom, like, "At Work" I was able to do this yesterday. What happened ????

I'm on .148. And yes I pulled the battery. I'm gonna do it again right now, maybe something will change. Last time I pulled the battery, it wiped out my BBM contacts !!!!

Update: Thats a negative on the battery pull. Same thing. I can't change my status anymore. And the "Available" deal is gone. But, I can see other people's statuses, I just can't change mine. What happened ????
    Last edited by mexiken; 06-19-09 at 03:41 PM.
    06-19-09 03:27 PM
    I have this same problem. The "Available" option is no longer there for me anymore. When I hit edit my info, I only have:

"Free to chat"
    "Busy in a meeting"
    "On Vacation"
    "Out of Office"

Before, it was "Available" instead of "Free to Chat" And now, when I select "Free to Chat", I can't change my status to something custom, like, "At Work" I was able to do this yesterday. What happened ????

I'm on .148. And yes I pulled the battery. I'm gonna do it again right now, maybe something will change. Last time I pulled the battery, it wiped out my BBM contacts !!!!

Update: Thats a negative on the battery pull. Same thing. I can't change my status anymore. And the "Available" deal is gone. But, I can see other people's statuses, I just can't change mine. What happened ????
    Under status you should have a status message that you can edit:
    06-19-09 09:09 PM
    I know what it looks like, and mine just wasn't looking that way before. I had your screen before, and then it was gone. But now, its back again.

Wait. Just checked again. Now its not giving me the option for "unavailable" or "free to chat" like it was earlier. I do have "Available however" with the ability to set a status. Weird....Is there any particular reason this is happening ????

I'll post some screenshots in a few.

Update: I downloaded the app, and was set to take a screenshot. I go to the menu, and wouldn't you know it, now its there....

Are those options tied to something else in the phone, like the music player + song title display, or profiles maybe ???? I can't pin down (no pun intended) why its showing me different options at different times.

Any ideas ????
    Last edited by mexiken; 06-20-09 at 12:46 AM.
    06-20-09 12:23 AM
    I know what it looks like, and mine just wasn't looking that way before. I had your screen before, and then it was gone. But now, its back again.

Wait. Just checked again. Now its not giving me the option for "unavailable" or "free to chat" like it was earlier. I do have "Available however" with the ability to set a status. Weird....Is there any particular reason this is happening ????

I'll post some screenshots in a few.

Update: I downloaded the app, and was set to take a screenshot. I go to the menu, and wouldn't you know it, now its there....

Are those options tied to something else in the phone, like the music player + song title display, or profiles maybe ???? I can't pin down (no pun intended) why its showing me different options at different times.

Any ideas ????
    I do not believe that they are tied to any other part of the OS, but I didn't design it so I can only give you my opinion. BTW you are not running a hybrid OS are you?
    06-20-09 09:53 AM
    Oh wow. I just figured out what it was. The bar only showed those 4, but I didn't realize you could scroll it. How embarassing

And no, I'm running a straight stock .148 ROM. Not even one app installed. Nada. As virgin as it could be.
    06-20-09 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD