Ok so I did some playing around (I had to wipe my phone and I think my BES admin is pissed off at me) but I figured out why the fix is working. I can't however, tell you why you are getting the original error.

The reason the workaround works, is because there is a bug in the Blackberry update software. It checks to see if you are on a BES server at a particular step. If you open a second instance of the updater, it actually finds the first instance open, and picks up the install from the next part. On the second instance, it does not check the BES condition again.

So the reason this is working is definitely a bug, however its working to our advantage.

On a side note, this is a way for people on a BES server to actually get the update early.
    05-31-09 04:39 PM
    Also, the fix, just to be clear.

Go to the update website, try to do an update. It gives you an error stating you are on a BES server, please contact your IT department. Leave this window open. At this point open a second window.

It will take you to the following step and begin to do the update (note it might ask you to update DM first, if it does this, you have to go through the entire process again once its done).

If your actually on a BES server, you will need to reactivate.

Make sure you backup your 3rd party apps, and have fun!
    05-31-09 04:42 PM
    you the man for figuring this out...i was about ready to throw my phone out the window!! :-)
    05-31-09 04:45 PM
    Is this the only way for someone on BES to get the update now? Also, will BES users run into similar problems once the OTA version is available tonight at 10?

I may end up just waiting until it's released on the Verizon Web site.
    05-31-09 04:56 PM
    The only way to find out if OTA also causes problems... is to suck it and see.

Closing this and making it a sticky to assist others. Active discussion of the BES issue is here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/be...pgrade-238379/
    05-31-09 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD