I have .148 and I would like to have T9 or iTap as my text entry method. I know there was a way to do this on an early version. I think after .114 it stopped.

I prefer T9 over Surepress over QWERTY. Does anyone know how I can do this? If it requires a software upgrade, I am willing to pay money
    05-31-09 01:09 AM
    what does the new version have?

does it still have the thing where you start typing a word with the screen held vertical and it predicts what you're going to say?

sorry i'm stupid with this stuff
    05-31-09 01:11 AM
    I have .148 and I would like to have T9 or iTap as my text entry method. I know there was a way to do this on an early version. I think after .114 it stopped.

I prefer T9 over Surepress over QWERTY. Does anyone know how I can do this? If it requires a software upgrade, I am willing to pay money
    Sorry man the last time that was a feature was in .75---And unfortunately there are not apps or anything you can do to get T9 back.
    05-31-09 01:13 AM
    what does the new version have?

does it still have the thing where you start typing a word with the screen held vertical and it predicts what you're going to say?

sorry i'm stupid with this stuff
    what is this feature called? i'm still using .75
    05-31-09 01:18 AM
    i'm still in 7.5 as well. I'm curious as to what exactly is in the new updated!
    05-31-09 04:21 AM
    With the later versions, you get a full QWERTY keyboard, the multi-tap, and the suretype.
    05-31-09 05:10 AM
    I don't get why people have trouble with suretype but if people insist on giving "t9" a go I believe it was a glitch that the phone has in some early os's and a simple search should find you a rather large thread on the topic
    05-31-09 06:39 AM
    SureType is basically an updated version of T9, idk why people have a problem with using it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 06:55 AM
    I loved t9 on my old phones, but once I got used to suretype, it's not really that different. Except the keys are QWERTY instead of multi-tap and there's no "next" button for words. It just takes some gettin used to lol
    05-31-09 07:06 AM
    Its less buttons to press since the pad is nine buttons instead of twenty as with sure type. Plus since there are less buttons the buttons themselves are bigger thus preventing less errore of hitting the wrong key. But anyway I would pay 50 bucks right now for someone to develop this

05-31-09 09:41 AM
    As far as the person go said seeach. Trust me I did. But since t9 is only two letters the engine can't search it as it requirs three letters minimum I believe

05-31-09 09:43 AM
    The problem with the BB version is that it gives you all kinds of wierd variations on the typed word. Most of the variotions aren't even words. It's like it's trying to make up words with the letters one t ypes.

I wish there was a way to turn it off completely. It wastes a lot of time when all these weird words come up.
    05-31-09 09:51 AM
    The problem with the BB version is that it gives you all kinds of wierd variations on the typed word. Most of the variotions aren't even words. It's like it's trying to make up words with the letters one t ypes.

I wish there was a way to turn it off completely. It wastes a lot of time when all these weird words come up.
    yeah seriously, there are so many random word combinations it comes up with, and some are not real words, so its a pain.

for example, if you start typing "monkey", you get:
    monkey
    monkeys
    monkeyed
    monkeypox
    mobjet
    monket
    monkry
    donkey
    money
    Monet

T9 is smarter and wouldnt create these words. I mean, monkeypox? even if that is a word, who uses that? T9 would just show monkey and donkey (since T9 has 3 letters per button its more precise)
    06-02-09 10:25 PM
    T9 was a glitch that was corrected in subsequent OS's. If you're running .75, it should still work. As posted by jnorchanian:

From the menu do the following in order:

Options > Localisation(Language for VZW) > Input Options

Predictive Input
    Spell Check

Both of these will be default enabled. Uncheck both, and then recheck them. Back to options menu

Now go to Screen/Keyboard >

Portrait View Keyboard = Multitap (Reset to multitap if it already selected)

If you have upgraded to a newer OS, unfortunately T9 will not work and nor is there an app available (as mentioned by fireball).
    06-02-09 10:55 PM
    Well can't someone "un-correct" the glitch? Maybe one of those guys that do the hybrid OS or something. I'd hate to go back to .75 but I think I might have to.

Unless there is a way to remove all the excess words that suretype comes up with.
    06-03-09 02:03 PM
    Well can't someone "un-correct" the glitch? Maybe one of those guys that do the hybrid OS or something. I'd hate to go back to .75 but I think I might have to.

Unless there is a way to remove all the excess words that suretype comes up with.
    Wow, just so you can type with 9 buttons. Maybe a smart phone isn't for you.
    06-03-09 02:24 PM
    As with any new device, sometimes there is a learning curve.

To be perfectly honest, I had gotten very used to using T9. When I got the storm, it took some time to adapt to suretype. Its not that bad. I know many of you out there disagree and just want to use T9. Unfortunately, as of right now, it seems you will have to be running on a much earlier OS to be able to use that.

Change isn't always bad...
    06-03-09 03:08 PM
    i love suretype.
    06-03-09 07:13 PM
    Wow, just so you can type with 9 buttons. Maybe a smart phone isn't for you.
    I had the pearl for almost 2 years....prior to that ive had T9 phones for many years. There are many more reasons why I prefer T9 entry method vs suretype. I didnt want to get into all the many reasons as I don't want other posters to come here and debate why its better than the other. I am asking a simple question in this thread. A "smart" phone and what it offers is what I want, so there is no need for you to tell me that a "smart" phone isn't for me. I temporarily switched to the Dare after the Pearl and realized why I loved a blackberry, and thus went to the Storm. I am stating I have enough information and expirence that shows T9 is the better entry method than SureType. This is my preference and again, I am asking why can't I get it on my Storm.

The upgrades from after .75 to .148 are not so significant for me that it requires me to lose T9. So I am willing to downgrade to .75 just for T9. I am not however, willing to downgrade to a Dare or something else.
    06-04-09 02:13 PM
    Crucifixion......If you downgrade to .75 and follow my earlier post (post #14), you will have T9 working on the storm.
    06-04-09 02:17 PM
    Yeah I had T9 when I had .75.....and I think I will downgrade from .148 to .75

I cant stand the stupid words suretype comes up.
    06-11-09 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD