Hi Bold users..I was wondering if I could use messengers without BIS?is there's a messenger app for Bold which utilizes the APN settings for internet instead of BIS? Thx for the help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 06:36 AM
    I don't think you could the built in messengers without BIS. Although there are other programs that uses APN such as palringo, IM+, etc..

05-30-09 08:40 AM
    I don't think you could the built in messengers without BIS. Although there are other programs that uses APN such as palringo, IM+, etc..

U mean other apps other than BBM n those for BB with BIS usage?good to hear that..n that's what I'm looking for..any suggestion?u sure they work?without BIS?thx

05-30-09 12:33 PM
    I am using IM+ and I don't have BIS. Mostly apps made by RIM would need BIS, such as,
    BB AppWorld, BB Messenger, etc, although BB Maps works with regular non-BIS data plan.
    I am not sure about IM clients made by RIM for Windows Live, Yahoo, AIM and such.

05-30-09 01:20 PM
    You can use IM+ on WiFi right?
    And you can use WiFi without a plan... Right?
    05-30-09 01:48 PM
    It's not quite that simple, some may, some may not. It is dependant on if the I'm programs uses BIS or not...

05-30-09 02:23 PM
    Im?never heard of it..should check it out soon.. thx all..anyway..have the link?

05-30-09 08:42 PM
    Yes, IM+ works over WiFi and you can use WiFi without a plan. However...for WiFi to be working, you need to enable Data Services in Mobile Network Options, even when you have Mobile Network turned off. However, I am using an unlocked (bought overseas) Bold, if your Bold were bought with contract from AT&T, the ability to use WiFi without any data plan may be restricted.

Copied and pasted from the official FAQ:

Can I use IM+ via Wi-Fi?

If your Blackberry OS is 4.3 or higher, you may use IM+ via Wi-Fi. In IM+ please go to Settings / Connection and check "Use Wi-Fi interface". IM+ will automatically switch to Wi-Fi connection when it is available, and switch back to your usual connection type when you leave a Wi-Fi zone.
    06-03-09 09:26 PM
    Yes, IM+ works over WiFi and you can use WiFi without a plan. However...for WiFi to be working, you need to enable Data Services in Mobile Network Options, even when you have Mobile Network turned off. However, I am using an unlocked (bought overseas) Bold, if your Bold were bought with contract from AT&T, the ability to use WiFi without any data plan may be restricted.

Copied and pasted from the official FAQ:
    I'm using a bold from att on my home wifi with no data. Actually had the data blocked. Times got a little tough, only temporary but the only place I'm at is at home and work, both have wifi. I'm trying to get an app that let's me use aim through wifi as I had to hack my texting plan tempoarily as well. Any thoughts?

Couldn't get beejive to work... Kept saying not connected.
    06-03-09 10:40 PM
    I've been using eqo and it's a decent free multi messaging app. just google the name and you'll find it. Oh, and you can just use only wifi.
    06-03-09 11:10 PM
    IF TIMES ARE TOUGH THEN IGNORE THIS. THIS IS FOR ALL OF YOU WHO WENT OUT AND GOT A BB ON YOUR CURRENT STATUS AND DECIDED AT THAT TIME NOT TO GET DATA.
    get bis mate what is the point of even having a bb if you cant afford bis, it shouldnt evn bb an option. iff you cant afford bis ontop of your contract then its obvious you cant afford a bb. i am not ripping you off but maybe you should have looked for a cheaper handheld.

i want to drive a DB9 but the insurance is too expensive soi had to settled for a range rover sport instead. on your logic i could have bought a db9 and not insured it but then it would be illegal to drive here in the uk so what is the point.

do you see my point

Mmm... I have multiple phones and my BB is my ONLY phone that needs a SPECIAL data plan. My phone company has only 3 data plans:
    1) blackberry
    2) winmo (with exchange)
    3) all others

none are compatible with each other. If you want exchange with WinMo (which I have phones) Id need to pay for THAT data plan, and if one week I need my BB I'd need to cancel or have 2 data plans, and then for every other phone there the third option.

I'm not going to pay 3 data plans to be able to go through 3 different phones, so I only use my blackberry for data and the others are just phones, unless I Need to REALLY change. It doesn't mean I'm cheap or I can't afford it, but if I already have one that has a data plan or I don't even need it except for a few things ,then I obviously won't get the others. So it has nothing to do with being able to pay it or not. I've seen people that have purchased iphones unlocked and don't use a dataplan cuz they don't use the internet on it, only the phone and mp3 player. I've seen people who buy HD TVs and don't use blueray or HD connections or even a hifi set. We all have our uses and necessities. I wouldn't have a BIS data plan if I didn't use push email. I originally got my bb without a data plan, and i tried it one month and I loved it and need it.
    06-04-09 05:38 AM
    people should stop being so materialistic. i have a bb supplied by my office as it is practical, because of my status i get to use this said bb for personal use too but i have to declare tax as it is a perk and pay that tax from my salary. but if i did not have this perk and had to by my own phone i probly would not use a blackberry as it is not a practicality for my personal life. so if you dont really need data then why get a bb are you materialistic and vein

Vain, not vein.
    Also, having a BB without a BIS plan doesn't always mean your vain, could just mean you like the phone in general, or use it on wifi without IM. At the end of the day, it has a phone function too. Stop being an ***** mate, I have a Bold without BIS because I just bought it and the PIN is still locked, sure, I do like to walk with it in my hand sometimes as a status icon, but thats part of the reason you buy a Range Rover isn't it. I'm guessing you don't do much offroading. Same reason we have an Audi A5, we don't use it for sports, it's status.
    06-04-09 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD