I use my Storm for work email (Enterprise), and I've currently got .122 from Telus. Would upgrading to .148 screw this up, and if so, how would I fix it? I really want to try the .148 OS, but if it's going to be a major headache (ie contacting admins, etc), then I'll just stay with my .122, since it's relatively smooth...
    05-28-09 08:34 AM
    Hi,
    I just upgraded to .148/5.0.0.93 lyricidal's hybrid. My BES adminstrator is very helpful and understanding about the need to make this device work better. He has a Storm as well. I inform him before I'm ready to update the OS just to be sure he's around and then he sends me a new BES activation/password after the successful upgrade is complete.

You'l definitely need a new BES each time you update UNLESS you do it while on the corporate network. But even then, I'm not entirely sure that will work.
    05-28-09 11:02 AM
    if your admin allows .148 you should be able to do the update. i'd ask around first, your admin might not allow unsupported software to run their BES service.
    05-28-09 11:15 AM
    You'l definitely need a new BES each time you update UNLESS you do it while on the corporate network. But even then, I'm not entirely sure that will work.
    In my case I ran the update and then restored from back up and my device reconnected and synced with BES on it's own, w/o an activation code. My BES Admin was surprised, but said it made sense due to the restore. We are on BES 4.0 (please stifle your laughter) so I don't know if the same would happen on a newer version.
    05-28-09 11:32 AM
    In my case I ran the update and then restored from back up and my device reconnected and synced with BES on it's own, w/o an activation code.
    I've done the same thing several times.
    05-28-09 12:37 PM
    I use my Storm for work email (Enterprise), and I've currently got .122 from Telus. Would upgrading to .148 screw this up, and if so, how would I fix it? I really want to try the .148 OS, but if it's going to be a major headache (ie contacting admins, etc), then I'll just stay with my .122, since it's relatively smooth...
    I have upgraded to almost all of the OS leaks since the devise was released. I have also done OS upgrades previously on the Pearl and the Curve. Anytime I have done the upgrade using Desktop Manager from a PC that is connected to the BES server through the company network, the activation has happened automatically. Whenever I have had to have an activation password sent is when I have done the hybrid updates that use the application loader instead of Desktop Manager.

With all of that said, I upgraded to.148 from lycidrical's .141 hybrid and the activation happened automatically because I did it through Desktop Manager at work. Good luck. I think .148 is the best I have used so far so I think it's worth it.
    05-28-09 12:51 PM
    I have upgraded to almost all of the OS leaks since the devise was released. I have also done OS upgrades previously on the Pearl and the Curve. Anytime I have done the upgrade using Desktop Manager from a PC that is connected to the BES server through the company network, the activation has happened automatically. Whenever I have had to have an activation password sent is when I have done the hybrid updates that use the application loader instead of Desktop Manager.

With all of that said, I upgraded to.148 from lycidrical's .141 hybrid and the activation happened automatically because I did it through Desktop Manager at work. Good luck. I think .148 is the best I have used so far so I think it's worth it.
    I'm fairly new here, so apologies in advance for the noob question:

I've only used the App Loader with hybrids and didn't know you could use Desktop Manager ... how do you get DM to install the hybrid instead of installing the official OS? I'm on a BES server and do not wish to burden my IT guys with ongoing activation requests, so having a way to do this on my own would be great!
    Last edited by scotteggleston; 06-06-09 at 01:30 PM.
    06-06-09 01:25 PM
    I'm fairly new here, so apologies in advance for the noob question:

I've only used the App Loader with hybrids and didn't know you could use Desktop Manager ... how do you get DM to install the hybrid instead of installing the official OS? I'm on a BES server and do not wish to burden my IT guys with ongoing activation requests, so having a way to do this on my own would be great!
    OK, so it appears that using DM (which I'm using so that I can keep my BES activation) will load the hybrid OS that I've placed in the loader files area. But it doesn't seem to understand that I've used Shrink-A-OS to to get rid of a bunch of apps.

Suggestions?
    06-08-09 08:09 AM
    OK, so it appears that using DM (which I'm using so that I can keep my BES activation) will load the hybrid OS that I've placed in the loader files area. But it doesn't seem to understand that I've used Shrink-A-OS to to get rid of a bunch of apps.

Suggestions?
    What do you mean it doesn't understand you used Shrink-A-OS, DM will load the OS as you you have it installed on the computer and or course it won't load the files that were removed by Shrink since they won't be in the proper directory.
    06-08-09 08:17 AM
    I posted my procedure a couple of times in other areas. I'm remote, so I do it over the VPN. We were recently acquired, so my trusted admin is gone and I don't know the new guy.

In short, I connect, backup, disconnect, wipe, reconnect and upgrade while reconnected. The DM client has been doing the rest for me. No calls to IT yet in 4 or 5 upgrades.

All of the other battery pull comments still apply.
    06-08-09 10:28 AM
    What do you mean it doesn't understand you used Shrink-A-OS, DM will load the OS as you you have it installed on the computer and or course it won't load the files that were removed by Shrink since they won't be in the proper directory.
    Thanks ... so after I shrink, instead of clicking loader.exe in SAO, I launch DM ... it uses the shrinked OS to load?
    06-08-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD