is it possible alot of smart phones use this for their browsers android, apples os x, symbian, and palm pre. any ideas if this might work just as a 3rd party browser yes no?

no flaming this is a serious question =] thank you
    05-27-09 08:11 PM
    nope, RIM has a lock down on the OS. its for security on the device, no way to disable it. some people consider it a drawback, but blackberries are designed for corporate email users first and foremost. the storm is just a spinoff of that design with a touch screen and some cool media stuff.
    05-27-09 09:42 PM
    thats sad but makes a whole lot of sense.. i do like my info encrypted =] makes certain pictures in my phone and media card safe =p but is webkit only for the os or can it just be built into a browser like bold, opera, and skyfire(cant wait to use)?
    05-27-09 09:58 PM
    I thought the storm browser was based on webkit. Am I wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 09:58 PM
    it might be, but there is no way to change the default browser, you can download 3rd party browsers like opera mini, etc...so if they came out with a safari browser for the berry or an android browser for the berry, i suppose you could load that.
    05-27-09 10:04 PM
    Supposedly Bolt and Skyfire are webkit-based, although both go through back-end servers. I'm not aware of any native webkit-based browsers for the BlackBerry.
    05-27-09 11:15 PM
    I thought the storm browser was based on webkit. Am I wrong?

I believe you are. One of the Storm browsers weaknesses is that it's NOT webkit based. It's basically the browser from 4.6
    05-27-09 11:21 PM
    There were pre-release rumors that the Storm's browser would be WebKit based, but ultimately RIM decided to stick with their homebrewed BlackBerry browser.
    05-28-09 12:13 AM
    Man RIM screwed by not using a webKit based browser.

05-28-09 01:19 AM
    maybe...but maybe there was some stuff they couldn't work out on the security aspects...etc. ya know? a lot of BES users have a separate browser, and maybe they couldn't initiate the admin controls on the webkit based browser...

generally speaking, RIM doesn't do something or not do something for no reason...based on my experience, there is always a reason. if we agree or not is a different discussion.

same thing applies with graphics accelerator...there is a reason they limited/disabled it...same thing with wi-fi...there is a reason.
    05-28-09 01:21 AM
    maybe...but maybe there was some stuff they couldn't work out on the security aspects...etc. ya know? a lot of BES users have a separate browser, and maybe they couldn't initiate the admin controls on the webkit based browser...

generally speaking, RIM doesn't do something or not do something for no reason...based on my experience, there is always a reason. if we agree or not is a different discussion.

same thing applies with graphics accelerator...there is a reason they limited/disabled it...same thing with wi-fi...there is a reason.
    There are certainly BlackBerries with WiFi (I use one for work on BES), so if there IS a reason (aside from Verizon putting the kibosh on it) for not including WiFi, it's certainly not security-related.

As for the browser, that's plausible. I don't know if my employer is just paranoid, but our IT policy at work forbids the use of any browser other than the BlackBerry browser on our 'Berries for security reasons.
    05-28-09 02:02 AM
    There are certainly BlackBerries with WiFi (I use one for work on BES), so if there IS a reason (aside from Verizon putting the kibosh on it) for not including WiFi, it's certainly not security-related.
    i think it's more of a hardware/resource issue with CDMA devices, because VZW isn't the only seller of CDMA berries, but none of 'em have wi-fi...

As for the browser, that's plausible. I don't know if my employer is just paranoid, but our IT policy at work forbids the use of any browser other than the BlackBerry browser on our 'Berries for security reasons.
    that's what i was thinking also. if you can't control security settings, then it doesn't go in.
    05-28-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD