Hey, as a last resort I'm sharing my story here hoping someone has advice...although I doubt it because of how bizarre the situation is.

Long story short (ok not so short it turns out), I ordered the black bezel, OEM keyboard and G1 trackball for my new AT&T 8900.

I've taken apart the 8300 & Bold numerous times so this upgrade was no issue for me.

When you take apart the 8900 there's six screws in 3 rows of 2. The middle 2 screws are black, and don't tighten when you screw them in, unlike the 1st and 3rd rows which tighten.

When I was screwing the cover back on I didn't realize the middle row didn't tighten so I kept screwing waiting for it do so...I finally realized it was the type of screw that didn't so I stopped but it was too late at that point.

I screwed it in too long and the metal "sleeve" (sorry I don't know the proper terms) corroded (not the actual screw). I had to break the frame off the phone to remove it.

So basically, I'm not able to remove the corroded part (it only happened on 1 side) thus I'm not able to put the original frame back on.

It's wild because nothing is wrong with the phone, everything works perfectly, but I can't put it back together because of this 1 piece.

The only thing I could think of was to drill the stuck piece out. But that wouldn't work, it's not precise enough.

In total I spent about $430 on the phone and accessories and its now worthless, I'm just in awe right now that this happened.

Front of the corroded piece:

Front of what it's supposed to look like:

Back of the corroded piece:

Back of what it's supposed to look like:

05-27-09 02:55 PM
    I think you're pretty much SOL. This is why I don't disassemble my phones when I'm still in my warranty period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 03:04 PM
    Ouch buddy. Send it to me, I dont mind a little duct tape JK! It looks like the damage is to the mid plate, yes/no? If thats the case, get a new one from Cellular Accessories - Apple, Acer, BenQ-Siemens, Tools, Mobiado, 3G, Microsoft, Sony, Panasonic, SonyE and get that baby up and rolling again. Or, if you have the insurance, take your new parts off and bust the **** out of that Berry
    05-27-09 03:07 PM
    Corroded?

You mean stripped? Why would they put screws in that don't tighten?
    05-27-09 03:10 PM
    The damage (i have trouble saying that considering nothing is wrong it's just a stuck piece!) is to the main board.
    05-27-09 03:11 PM
    Corroded?

You mean stripped? Why would they put screws in that don't tighten?
    yeah stripped lol. I've been doing a bunch of reading on stuck screws and got my termanology mixed up in the fray.

Let me clarify, the screws tighten, but not all the way. Normally a screw will tighten and then stop because you can't turn it anymore...these 2 screws tighten but they keep turning.
    05-27-09 03:13 PM
    I've done a lot of work on plastics in the past and I have to say, unless you know what you are doing you generally shouldn't mess with it. It's too easy to mess things up like this.

I am not too familiar with what this particular one is as I have never taken one apart so I will offer two suggestions.

First, if that sleeve is not threaded and is just stuck in there, get a board and drill a hole in it 2x the diameter of the sleeve. Then put the board over it so the sleeve is directly over the hole.

Next, get something the approximate diameter of the hols and apply firm but gentle pressure to pop the sleeve out.

Now, if that thing is threaded in there, the easiest way is to get a self tapping metal screw. You know, the pointy ones. Make sure the overall diameter of the screw is slightly greater than the inside diameter of the sleeve.

Now screw it in, making sure that the direction you screw the self tapping screw in there is the direction that will UNSCREW the sleeve. The threads will bite into the sleeve and turn it out.

Hope this helps you.
    05-27-09 03:18 PM
    If you have insurance, don't you remember leaving it at Aunt Betty's? And, well, isn't she in the process of moving and your phone is missing now? Perhaps left in the 100-acre wood?

If not, can you assemble it, JB-weld it, make a phone call, get insurance put on it, make another phone call, and then lose it in a week? Just a suggestion or 2.
    05-27-09 03:20 PM
    Do you have insurance? Make a claim saying it was lost...
    05-27-09 03:20 PM
    I vote for claiming lost it to the insurance co.

05-27-09 03:24 PM
    @Radius, good suggestions for getting the screw insert out. However, finding a replacement will most likely prove to be very difficult.
    05-27-09 03:26 PM
    Do you have insurance? Make a claim saying it was lost...
    That would be fraud.
    05-27-09 03:29 PM
    @Radius, good suggestions for getting the screw insert out. However, finding a replacement will most likely prove to be very difficult.
    Well maybe, but two options.

Random search of a hardware store, you never know.

If it is just a sleeve, then take the remains to the nearest metal shop, I can almost guarantee they will have a bit of scrap lying around that fits the bill.

Or depending on what it is and what its function is, maybe hardened plastic will do just as well.

Is the sleeve itself threaded or is it just a sleeve?
    05-27-09 03:38 PM
    the sleeve itself is threaded
    05-27-09 03:48 PM
    Gotcha, much more difficult.

At best maybe RIM or some other aftermarket place can sell them. Worst case, get a brass sleeve and a tap and dye set.
    05-27-09 03:50 PM
    Ur screwed on tht on...pun intended....I would jus cry and get a new one

05-27-09 04:00 PM
    That would be fraud.
    Insurance itself is fraud, yet we're required to have certain types. Car insurance? biggest fraud ever.

Home owners insurance? another bigtime fraud.. my brother works for a company that is the company that gets the replacements for the insuree on behalf of the insurer.

So, let's say user A has Home Owners Insurance and is insuring their Xbox360.. well, Xbox360 gets damaged.. My brothers company has contracts with all sorts of companies all over the world.. well, he get's the cheapest prices for the Xbox360, buys one.. then charges the Insurance company full price, and his company pockets the rest.

This is typical in insurance, and it's fraud.

or how about car insurance? AIG decided to put my car rating from a 17 to a 19..and because of that, they are now extorting me for roughly $20 more dollars per bill.. wtf?

It's fraud! In my opinion, you are paying each month for peace of mind.. take advantage of it. Do you think the carriers care about you? they look at everyone as dollar $ign$. They dont care, especially with their absurd prices for SMS, so why should we?
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-27-09 at 04:15 PM.
    05-27-09 04:13 PM
    I thank everyone for their input...but I don't think this is fixable. It's just one of those bizarre occurrences.

I have a Platinum Mastercard that I used to buy the phone and it has retail purchase protection on it. It protects me for up to 90 days from theft and accidental damage. I called up and the claim form is on the way (5-7 business days, then I have to send everything in, and wait who knows how long for a check if they approve it).

I paid approx $224 after the $100 MIR since I finally renewed my contract, so now I have to go buy the phone now for $450. I'm still out a few hundred bucks but it's better than getting nothing back.

BTW...the 1st thing I'm going to do with the new one is open it up That's just how it is.
    05-27-09 04:30 PM
    Insurance claim.
    05-28-09 05:02 AM
    Insurance itself is fraud, yet we're required to have certain types. Car insurance? biggest fraud ever.
    the only Insuracne I know that someone is REQUIRED(in some states) by LAW to have is car Insurance and that is to PROTECT people from those driving without Insurance. Renters insurance, home owners insurance, ETC are not Required Insurances. Mortgages or Apartment complexes may make thiose insurances a condition of a contract you enter into , but you are not REQUIRED to enter into said contract.

Home owners insurance? another bigtime fraud.. my brother works for a company that is the company that gets the replacements for the insuree on behalf of the insurer.

So, let's say user A has Home Owners Insurance and is insuring their Xbox360.. well, Xbox360 gets damaged.. My brothers company has contracts with all sorts of companies all over the world.. well, he get's the cheapest prices for the Xbox360, buys one.. then charges the Insurance company full price, and his company pockets the rest.
    that isn't fraud that is capitalism

This is typical in insurance, and it's fraud.

or how about car insurance? AIG decided to put my car rating from a 17 to a 19..and because of that, they are now extorting me for roughly $20 more dollars per bill.. wtf?

It's fraud! In my opinion, you are paying each month for peace of mind.. take advantage of it. Do you think the carriers care about you? they look at everyone as dollar $ign$. They dont care, especially with their absurd prices for SMS, so why should we?

Sorry I just don't see Insurance as fraud. No one is "tricking" you into anything. All policies spell out the terms and conditions. IF a company increases a rate they usually have a logical reason behind it. They are Businesses in it to earn $$$, not Charities looking to hand out $$$.

If a customer is unsatisfied with a rate they have the option of doing business with another company.
    05-28-09 09:36 AM
    the only Insuracne I know that someone is REQUIRED(in some states) by LAW to have is car Insurance and that is to PROTECT people from those driving without Insurance. Renters insurance, home owners insurance, ETC are not Required Insurances. Mortgages or Apartment complexes may make thiose insurances a condition of a contract you enter into , but you are not REQUIRED to enter into said contract.

that isn't fraud that is capitalism

Sorry I just don't see Insurance as fraud. No one is "tricking" you into anything. All policies spell out the terms and conditions. IF a company increases a rate they usually have a logical reason behind it. They are Businesses in it to earn $$$, not Charities looking to hand out $$$.

If a customer is unsatisfied with a rate they have the option of doing business with another company.

Plain and simple, the carriers look as you as $$, and another digit. They dont care about you, your family, or your situations in life, (as seen when ATT provided data to the NSA for spying purposes).

You are paying $10+ dollars a month for insurance in the event your device breaks outside of the warranty. Carriers dont make much money on hardware if you havn't noticed by now.. they make money on raping people in fees and charges. .15 cents for a 160byte SMS? If they charged the same price for email, than it'd be like $5 to $6 bucks per email.

I dont know about you, but I dont like being raped. So any chance I get to stick it to the man? I do it, and I do it solely on the fact that they don't care about you..

Carriers are evil companies. They dont want to put up new towers, or invest in new technology.. they only do it because it means more revenue.
    05-28-09 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD