I've been lurking in the forums for a few weeks, and now that my AT&T contract is up I'm taking the leap to Verizon and the Storm. I found a used Storm on Craigslist (yeah I've read all the horror stories) and will hopefully be meeting the current owner this week at a Verizon store to make the transaction. I would have bought one new and signed up for a 2 year contract but I've seen the info leaked about the Storm 2 coming sometime this year and would like the opportunity to get that once it comes out. If I understand things correctly I should be able to sign up for a month-to-month contract as a new customer. Then when Storm 2 comes out I can sign up for a 2-year agreement and get the discount - correct?

This will be my first Blackberry so I'm pretty excited. I will be looking for the usual problems - dust under the screen and poor clickability. Anything else I should watch out for? Any other advice on buying a used Storm would be greatly appreciated.
    05-27-09 08:51 AM
    yeah, get the PIN and call it in to be sure it isn't stolen first.
    05-27-09 08:54 AM
    Good idea meeting the seller at a verizon store. Just make sure the phone has complete functionality before starting any transaction with vzw. In other words spend a few minutes with it on the sellers contract. If they really wanna sell the phone that bad, they won't mind at all. After you know the phone works, then deal with the vzw rep. Or you could just make the seller unlock the phone and you can use it on your AT&T account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 09:04 AM
    Thanks for the responses so far. I had thought about using it on my current account but there's no AT&T 3g where I live...
    05-27-09 09:13 AM
    Might want to check with Verizon, not sure you can do a month to month with a BlackBerry if you want a data plan.
    05-27-09 09:38 AM
    Might want to check with Verizon, not sure you can do a month to month with a BlackBerry if you want a data plan.
    Good point. I hadn't thought about that. I know you can't with tmo so I don't see why vzw would be any different.

05-27-09 09:41 AM
    Oh its definitely possible. They might give you trouble if you don't want a data plan, but if you do plan on getting one that's fine. The only reason you are signing a contract is b/c verizon subsidizes the phone. If you buy one outright and bring it to them, they will gladly take your money on a month-to-month basis. It's even an option online.
    05-27-09 09:43 AM
    Maybe you should make the transaction in the parking lot of the VZ store since I'm not sure if the reps at VZ will take too kindly to 1) non-VZ related transactions taking place in their store and/or 2) used phone transactions in their store.
    05-27-09 09:46 AM
    Maybe you should make the transaction in the parking lot of the VZ store since I'm not sure if the reps at VZ will take too kindly to 1) non-VZ related transactions taking place in their store and/or 2) used phone transactions in their store.
    That what I love about tmo. They don't care what you do in regards to equipment use, as long as you stay a loyal service customer they'll help you with whatever you need.

05-27-09 09:51 AM
    I really don't want to pay for the thing until I know it's going to work (i.e. not stolen or locked ESN). I suppose I could pay half in the lot, go get it setup and then pay the other half on the way out.
    05-27-09 10:18 AM
    I really don't want to pay for the thing until I know it's going to work (i.e. not stolen or locked ESN). I suppose I could pay half in the lot, go get it setup and then pay the other half on the way out.
    Make sure of everything before parting ways with any of your cash. If it doesn't work out then basicly all you've got is a really expensive paper weight.

05-27-09 10:22 AM
    Hi,

Don't mean to jump your thread but I am also looking at a used phone, and hadn't heard about "locked ESN" how do you determine that? Any info specifically for T-mo or At&t?

Thanks
    Last edited by BastetBB; 05-27-09 at 10:39 AM.
    05-27-09 10:22 AM
    Thanks for the responses so far. I had thought about using it on my current account but there's no AT&T 3g where I live...

the storm won't work with at&t 3G anyway
    05-27-09 10:25 AM
    Oh its definitely possible. They might give you trouble if you don't want a data plan, but if you do plan on getting one that's fine. The only reason you are signing a contract is b/c verizon subsidizes the phone. If you buy one outright and bring it to them, they will gladly take your money on a month-to-month basis. It's even an option online.
    I tried finding a month-to-month option online but didn't see it. Can you point me to a link?
    05-27-09 11:56 AM
    Dont get this phone you are so much better off holding out a couple of months and waiting to see what the storm 2 or the tour has in store for verizon.
    05-27-09 12:51 PM
    if you have a berry, VZW requires a data plan to activate it. end of discussion.

new customers are required to have a minimum 1 year contract, but you will be eligible to upgrade at any time.

unless its changed. which i don't think it has.
    05-27-09 12:57 PM
    if you have a berry, VZW requires a data plan to activate it. end of discussion.

new customers are required to have a minimum 1 year contract, but you will be eligible to upgrade at any time.

unless its changed. which i don't think it has.
    I'm fine with that. As long as when the new Storm (or Tour) comes out I would be eligible for the upgrade pricing.
    05-27-09 01:33 PM
    then you're golden. go for it, and you can always keep the storm after you upgrade, and swap back and forth for travel to GSM coverage, or bigger screen, or just sell the one you like less...

personally, i'd say the storm is awesome, so you might consider rocking that until you get the word that the tour is solid and no major issues at launch.
    05-27-09 01:36 PM
    then you're golden. go for it, and you can always keep the storm after you upgrade, and swap back and forth for travel to GSM coverage, or bigger screen, or just sell the one you like less...

personally, i'd say the storm is awesome, so you might consider rocking that until you get the word that the tour is solid and no major issues at launch.
    I agree. Let someone else be the guinea pig for the new models lol.

05-27-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD