This is what I originally came to this forum for. I wantred to know
    how the name BB came about how the symbol was chosen etc.
    I do hope this is the right forum to ask....
    05-26-09 07:12 PM
    As I remember, when the naming guys at RIM were looking at the first builds of the phone the appearence of the keyboard made the device look like seeds in a fruit. I believe the name "strawberry" was tossed around for awhile before they settled on the much cooler sounding "BlackBerry".
    05-26-09 07:25 PM
    Thanks Mushy..............
    2012 btw cool; does it have anything to do with the year and the significance
    of it?
    Thanks for the answer.
    05-26-09 07:28 PM
    I'm so glad you asked this, because I've always wondered that myself, always assuming it was just as the previous poster said, based on the appearance given by the keyboard.

Now I know.
    05-26-09 07:29 PM
    "Back in 2001, RIM apparently hired a consultancy called Lexicon Branding to find a fitting title for its wireless messaging devices. Understandably, RIM had been toying with various names that included and/or played on the word "e-mail." But after Lexicon convinced the company to consider other options—many folks subconsciously associate "e-mail" with work, and the word can, therefore, lead to raised blood pressure—someone noted that the tiny keys on RIM's older devices resembled a group of seeds.

The team then considered a variety of seeded fruits and vegetables before ultimately deciding on "BlackBerry," since RIM's devices were largely colored black at the time. "

RIM BlackBerry History: Origin of the Name "BlackBerry" | CIO - Blogs and Discussion

Resist the urge to post the let me google that for you link
    05-26-09 07:37 PM
    good question always wondered where the name came from now i know!
    05-26-09 07:42 PM
    interesting im glad they didnt name it Strawberry that wouldnt have came off very proffessional haha
    05-26-09 07:54 PM
    interesting im glad they didnt name it Strawberry that wouldnt have came off very proffessional haha
    Yeah and ummm strawberry has other conotations too.
    05-26-09 08:00 PM
    BTW thanks for all of your answers :-)
    05-26-09 08:15 PM
    Dude the blackberry name has been around longer than 2001. I worked at Pagenet of Tampa in 1999 and they had just come out with an alphanumeric 2-way pager from a company called RIM. It was called a blackberry first alphanumeric pager with a keyboard it was a really sweet device.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 05-27-09 at 11:03 AM.
    05-26-09 09:38 PM
    Dude the blackberry name has been around longer than 2001. I worked at pagenet in 1999 and they had just come out with an alphanumeric 2-way pager from a company called RIM. It was called a blackberry first alphanumeric pager with a keyboard it was a really sweet device.
    Cool...........
    05-26-09 10:29 PM
    Blackberry came about cause of the security that these phones have and the stealthness that is far superior then any other phone in the market.

The makers of the blackberry = RIM wanted a name that would represent stealth and security, black = sneaky stealthness, berry = superior then any other phone that they had the guts to even have a Fruity Name to add to the black portion of it.

Berries are always hard to find at night and they are also stealthy little buggers that can ***** you when your not looking.

LMAO..
    05-27-09 07:04 AM
    LOL....

From RIM BlackBerry History: Origin of the Name "BlackBerry" | CIO - Blogs and Discussion

Back in 2001, RIM apparently hired a consultancy called Lexicon Branding to find a fitting title for its wireless messaging devices. Understandably, RIM had been toying with various names that included and/or played on the word "e-mail." But after Lexicon convinced the company to consider other options—many folks subconsciously associate "e-mail" with work, and the word can, therefore, lead to raised blood pressure—someone noted that the tiny keys on RIM's older devices resembled a group of seeds.

The team then considered a variety of seeded fruits and vegetables before ultimately deciding on "BlackBerry," since RIM's devices were largely colored black at the time.

And that is the real story....
    05-27-09 07:39 AM
    ive been wondering about this for some time now
    05-27-09 09:39 AM
    Mango would've been better, haha, jk
    05-27-09 02:37 PM
    Mango would've been better, haha, jk
    LOL. This is funny!
    05-27-09 03:17 PM
    strawberry would have been a terrible name. i've always wondered about the name as well..
    05-27-09 04:42 PM
    Strawberry is just about as cool as Pearl- I love to joke on my guy friends who carry the Blackberry Pearl. It just doesn't seem right .
    05-27-09 04:47 PM
    LOL....

From RIM BlackBerry History: Origin of the Name "BlackBerry" | CIO - Blogs and Discussion

Back in 2001, RIM apparently hired a consultancy called Lexicon Branding to find a fitting title for its wireless messaging devices. Understandably, RIM had been toying with various names that included and/or played on the word "e-mail." But after Lexicon convinced the company to consider other options�many folks subconsciously associate "e-mail" with work, and the word can, therefore, lead to raised blood pressure�someone noted that the tiny keys on RIM's older devices resembled a group of seeds.

The team then considered a variety of seeded fruits and vegetables before ultimately deciding on "BlackBerry," since RIM's devices were largely colored black at the time.

And that is the real story....
    lol...I had a mod steal my thunder 5 posts too late

And to the Pearl name, when I heard there was going to be a "Pink Pearl" for the first time I lol'ed out of my chair...were the researchers never 14?
    05-27-09 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD